PDA

View Full Version here: : Adding a 2" focuser to a Mak

telemarker
28-08-2008, 03:48 PM
I have a 6" mak which apparently has a non-standard attachment thread at the back. I was considering adding a 2" focuser but need more information on how SCT focusers attach if was to make an adapter. Could some kind soul help me out with a description and possibly a photo?

Keith

gbeal
28-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Keith,
The old cliche, "a picture is worth a thousand words" springs to mind here.
What sort of Mak, and what is the thread currently on the rear cell?
Perhaps a picture with your post would help us as well.
Gary

g__day
28-08-2008, 07:47 PM
I bought one of these a few months ago for a Skywatcher 5" MAK to attach a Bintel 2" SCT focuser.

Will grab a picture for you. Thread sizes where greater - but the Bintel focuser wasn't threaded all the way to the bottom - and the adapter wasn't long - so when I tightened it it fell off the focuser. To make it work I needed to add a 3 mm spacer so the SCT adapter was still on the thread.

Also I had to take the rubber handle off the MAK focsuer to give it enough space for the SCT focuser to fit - but after that - all great!

richard omeara
28-08-2008, 08:09 PM
I have a 2" crayford style focuser i perchused from scopestuff in US.It has an adaptor sleeve to fit SW MAK 150.I have recently sold the mak.If your interested in buying let me know.$140

g__day
28-08-2008, 08:38 PM
I did a thread on this awhile ago

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=28663&highlight=mak+adapter

The adapter is here

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_smsa.htm

telemarker
28-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks for your replies. The Mak is from AOE and has no markings (may be a generic Synta scope). I contacted AOE about adding a 2" focuser and was told the back was for 1.25" fittings and they were unaware of any adaptors for 2" stuff.

Here are some photos of the back, 1.25" and prime focus T-thread fittings. If this back looks familiar and think the scopestuff adaptor would fit that would be great. Focusing with the current focuser is annoying the hell out of me.

richard omeara
28-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Cant garentee anything.My scope was the sw.If you want to try it out and pay all post i will refund $140 if it dosent fit?

g__day
28-08-2008, 11:57 PM
May I suggest you take that shot with a fine ruler next to the threaded connector. What exactly is the width of the threaded end and can you measure the pitch or gauge of the thread (in 5mm how man times does it loop around * 5 = US thread sizes - likely to be 8 or 10 gauge).

Richard might want to do the same with the connector of his focuser to see if it looks in the ball park.

telemarker
11-10-2008, 12:45 AM
I bought the focuser and adapter from Richard (thanks) but it didn't quite fit. Well, I'm happy to report that a replacement adapter made by a skilled colleague at work now has the focuser firmly attached to the back of my Mak. Tested this evening and works just like a bought one.
Hooray!!! Now I can use all my 2" gear.:party2:

Here it is up and running.:2thumbs:

g__day
11-10-2008, 02:12 AM
It really adds to the enjoyment when you're finally able to bring a MAK into razor sharp focus.

Hint - print off a Bhatinov mask onto black and white A4 - take it to office work and have them transfer it to a high quality, thick plastic transparency - works a treat to assist perfecting focus! Very cheap, very effective!

telemarker
11-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks Mathew, onto that one already.

What's happened to the images in this thread? They don't seem to be showing up anymore.