PDA

View Full Version here: : cool modding webcams??

elusiver
18-08-2005, 05:59 PM
i've just aquired a quickcam 3000 and bought myself a 1.25" adapter for it. As a dob owner i'm be mainly confined to planets/moon to start with.. so I was thinking if re-fitting the cam into a fan cooled jiffy box would be of any real advantage? Does the 'hot dots'(i don't know what their really called) only appear during longer exposures?

If it is a good way to go to get it cooled.. obviously a larger/faster fan would move more air.. but wondering if anyone has had and experiences with the fan causing vibration on the cam.

looked at the long exposure mod.. doesn't look that hard.. as i've modded my ps2 and xbox so it's kinda similar in terms of scale.. but of course no point to do it yet cause it's dob.

so yeah.. any input or suggestons??

el :)

seeker372011
18-08-2005, 07:31 PM
you can usually get rid of hot pixels by subtracting a dark frame.

My atik ic has a fan but that is a commercially modified webcam..have not seen any problems with vibrations

davidpretorius
18-08-2005, 07:51 PM
i am about to move the switch on my toucam, so will let you know on the how the mod seems to be connected for long exposure. also i only get the hot dots when using image capture software desire and on long exposures. the avi's i capture do not seem to have these hot dots.

are you coming to snake valley, it would be great to catch up

Wombat_In_Space
18-08-2005, 08:28 PM
Elusiver I found this site when I was looking at modding one of my cams, there is a wealth of info here for you to look at.
http://www.pmdo.com/wwhich.htm

Hope it helps:thumbsup:

ballaratdragons
18-08-2005, 08:40 PM
David,

We should make you the Ambassador for the Snake Valley Star Camp. Almost every thread you post in you ask people to come to it!! Lol :rofl: :lol: :lol:

Keep up the advertising! :thumbsup:

Sorry, I don't know anything about webcams. I didn't even know they got hot! :ashamed:

davidpretorius
18-08-2005, 08:51 PM
darren, that is one fantastic link. i love the focuser, hmmmm, what to make next, focusser or motorise dob? focusser or motorise dob? focusser or motorise dob? focusser or motorise dob?

The amount of work that went into that peltier cooled fully sick modded toucam, is unbelievable, fantastic.

Thanks again

elusiver
18-08-2005, 10:01 PM
no worries thorpie!!! :D ;) :P

i might come up to snake valley for a bit. works a pain which is why i haven't commited. also mrs. el will be 7 months at the time of the star camp.. so the drive may be pushing it bit. we'll see how we go. :shrug:

cheers for the link wombat. some interesting reading. :D

davidpretorius
19-08-2005, 08:09 AM
go on ya el, do not worry about the 7 months, my wife was still trying to swing a golf club at 8 months....gee it looked funny remembering back.

i am keen to get the focuser going like you have. coupling it straight on!

elusiver
19-08-2005, 12:47 PM
dave.. BEEN THINKING THE SAME THING!!! great minds :D

but been thinking about using a gear box.. like the one u posted from RS.. but.. something CHEAPER!!! i'm gonna go into jaycar tonight to have a look at this (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=YG2730&CATID=&keywords=gear&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=). I don't think just coupling the motor straight onto the focuser will give precise enough movements. So i'm gonna see if this gearbox will take, or can be modded to take the stepper then couple the gearbox onto the focuser, save me making up a gearing system in the mount of the motor.

dave did u see the 20" goto dob on that website?? might be some ideas in that :)

davidpretorius
19-08-2005, 05:19 PM
yes el, those rs gear reducers are very expensive. i saw tha jaycar one and was keen to try and rip that motor out and substitute one of the 1.8 degree steppers i have from the disk drives

i will have the stepper controller next week, so will see how fine the control is at 1.8 degree and then try 1/2 step. I would lilke to work out microstepping. and then finally gear reducing (cheaply)

i will have a look at 20" dob tonight, i was awestruck with his ccd work.