PDA

View Full Version here: : Beginner question re Saxon 767az reflector

BalderAsir
24-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Hey all,

i've been offered a Saxon767AZ Newtonian reflector by a family member. Now, i've never owned a telescope so i'll be the first to admit that i understand diddly squat about the things. for what i've read i understand that these are good for stargazing and viewing object such as saturn and jupiter plus their satelites aswell as simple study of the moon. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this model and if you could tell me the good and the bad things you found with it and weather you would recommened it to a beginner?

The specs i got for it are
Aperture= 76mm
Focal length= 700mm
Focal Ratio= F9
Magnification= 180x

Cheers all

chris lewis
24-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Hi. The Saxon 767 AZ is a very basic entry level ‘departmental’ store type reflector telescopes.
Unfortunately it cannot really be recommended for astronomical use.
The mirror being 76 mm [or 3 in.] is too small to give you any decent images.
The mirror is also an inferior ‘spherical’ type mirror which will also add to the poor quality images. [ Most astronomical reflectors have a superior ‘parabolic’ type mirror which reduces distortions and improves the overall image - this is important in the more 'shorter' tube reflectors - this Saxon addmitedly is a 'longer' F/9 type so any disortions will not be as bad.].
The mount is a ‘yoke’ type - which is the most inferior type of mount you can get. This mount is very unsteady and it is very difficult to get and keep an object in view - esp. moving astronomical images. A good solid mount is a vital part of a telescope.
You will soon get frustrated with a telescope and mount like this and for new comers this will be a major disappointment.
I have used telescopes for 40 years and have seen many people buy telescopes like this only to be come frustrated with them. They usually end up in garages gathering dust or handed on to other family members.
Prior to buying a telescope if you read some of the reviews and if possible talk to some other amateur astronomers to get their opinions. This may help you decide what telescope is best for you.
If at all if you could visit a 'star type party' to view through different types of telescopes you will see at first hand what is best for you and your budget.
However - just as a suggestion - if you do want to get a decent ‘starter’ reflector telescope attempt to get a 6 in. 'Dobsonian' type reflector from a known astronomical shop and made by a reputable telescope maker. This will give you good images and is an easy telescope to set up and use.
Good luck.

BalderAsir
24-08-2008, 09:57 PM
thanks for that Chris, a dobsonian isn't going to be practicable for me at this present time. so i guess i'll say thanks, but no thanks.

I gotta say been broke sucks

bmitchell82
24-08-2008, 11:01 PM
If the family member is "giving it to you" then why the hell not. Yes it isn't the best scope, but if your like me (povvo uni student) having something that will make you strive for something would be good.... Yes i have had some dissapointing nights where things just arnt any chop, but it pushed me to go and get a 10" dob!? then again im patient! do what you do

Beemah

BalderAsir
24-08-2008, 11:16 PM
yeah, i'll take it out for a spin next time im up their way and check tit out for myself. your right brendan, would be enough to keep me occupied for awhile i think

chris lewis
25-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Hi sorry if I did sound ‘harsh’ re. the Saxon scope. It you do get it basically’ free’ then do get it. I have a 76mm / 700 mm right next to my desk.
I fix them for a local importer who sells them on our 'Trade Me' site [E. bay] here in Auckland N.Z.
One of the ‘must do’ upgrades is using superior eyepieces. The ones they come with are usually the inferior ‘Kelner’ type E.P’s. These E.P’s give narrow fuzzy images with notable ‘C.A.’ - colour fringing
What I have done previously is to use a low power higher grade 25m Plossl which gives 28x. I have also used a 15mm wide view GSO plossl which gives about 50x which is about the maximum power it is capable of,
On occasions I have removed the tube from the cradle mount – mainly out of sheer frustration - and cradled the tube in my lap for scanning of the dark skies.
You will get views on the moon and its main craters, Jupiter’s moons and glimpse Saturn’s rings.
You can keep the EPs then for the scope that you upgrade next to.
A 80mm ‘short tube’ refractor on a sturdy tripod is another option later on – these can be brought inexpensively. These are highly portable and give good all round views.
Good luck.

emalilyz
21-02-2009, 11:10 PM
hi,

i recieved this telescope from my boyfriend as a valentines gift and havent yet opened or put it together. I am hoping to get it up and running on Monday to see the moon and jupiter as i read on another website that they are very close.

i would like to know how you went with the telescope and did you find it useful and satisfying?

also, if anyone is from sydney, do you know if a good place to go to for observing the stars?

thanks a million.
emalily

bmitchell82
22-02-2009, 01:51 AM
hehehe i cant tell you about your telescope though aperture fever kicks in quick. i started off with a stuffed 114 mm telescope that was given to me. it let me see the moon and the planets and a few other things. but soon enough it becomes not enough :) as for the moon and jupiter. you will have to be awake at about 4 am to view it, you will also get mercury and i think mars right next to the moon in the next few days.

- get the book Astronomy 2009...