PDA

View Full Version here: : Saxon Laser Collimator/Barlows Combo Problem

rodroger
19-08-2008, 12:11 AM
:help:
Hi,
I don't know if anyone can help me on this problem I have but I went to use a barlows x2 with my Saxon Laser Collimator and discovered to my amazment that the Barlows reflected a dot back to the grid on the barlows which is a bit off to one side.

This very apparent even with the barlows and collimator out of the eyepiece??.

I can not get the dot centred on the return when I try manaver the laser in the barlows by tilting etc. Does this mean the Laser is out or.. is the Barlows to blame as it is a cheap one??

This nearly made me adjust my main mirror before realising what was happening:lol:.

Can anyone help me on this or advise me please?

Merlin66
27-08-2008, 05:44 PM
A couple of checks you could/ should do.

1.Rotate the barlow in the collimator; if the barlow lens is off centre or tilted, you should see the reflected dot move around the scale.

2. If your scope is pretty well collimated ie return dot in centre; add the barlow and see if you get the reflection moved off centre.

3. Also, place the nose of the collimator square onto a flat mirror ( any available mirror would do, the bathroom etc) and see if the reflected dot is central.

If #3 shows an off centre image then the laser beam is incorrectly aligned with the housing. #1 and #2 will confirm the barlow is a dud.

rodroger
02-09-2008, 12:06 AM
thanks Melin66,
I have found out that it's #1 -the barlow housing is out I think, Tried another barlows and it is good, also the mirror check on the laser is perfect.
Thanks again
Still learning :)

Merlin66
02-09-2008, 12:08 AM
We're all still learning! Glad to be of help.
We all need to " hold hands in the traffic"