PDA

View Full Version here: : EQ6 Pro power supply

Babalyon 5
31-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Howdy all!
I've bitten the bullet and decided to upgrade my mount to an EQ6 Pro as Andrews Comm has them out for $1499 still, while Bintel and York are $1995 and locally here are $2700. I was told today when I ordered the mount that there is no plug in the wall power supply, you hafta use the power tank rechargeable power supply. It was referred to me that if I use a 240v ac to 12v dc power supply, I will blow it up. Whats the difference between a power tank at 12 volts and a plug in power supply regulated to 12v 3amp dc, for example, and what would be the reason I would blow it up, except for the obvious connector the wrong way around or excess voltage etc. I thought I had seen that the EQ6 Pro was rated at 11.5 to 14.4 volts (standard 12v system figures, I'm a mechanic)and if you had a power supply at say 5 amps, the unit only draws from the power unit what it needs, the extra amperage is just to cover it for slewing draw.
I also thought that I had seen somewhere in the forums here that some of you guys had ordered and use a plug in type supply. Need some feedback please!:help::shrug:

marki
31-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Not sure why anyone would tell you that? I have a HEQ5 pro which I run on a lab power pack rated to 30amps at 13.1 volts with no trouble at all. I would imagine any regulated 12V power supply capable of 3 - 5 amps would be OK. Centre pin positive and I believe the hand piece is reverse polarity protected in any case. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Mark

ozstockman
31-07-2008, 09:53 PM
I think you're correct. At least I thought the same when I decided to buy 10Amp 12V power supply and 1 to 4 way cable with 2.5mm jacks in order to power more than one device from a single adapter.

I am using it with my EQ6 mount(1.5Amps) and QHY8 camera(4Amp) at the the time and nothing has been blown up so far.
I still have extra two jacks and 4.5Amps left so I'm going to power my dew controller from it.

Mike

AlexN
31-07-2008, 10:04 PM
I have a dick smiths 240v to 12v DC 3A power supply that I use at home, and a portable car jumpstarted in the field.... both work fine, the only thing is, the dick smiths power supply sometimes electrifies the mount... Only happened once, but I haven't used it since... It was live enough for me to feel a warm tingle if i touched the mount or tripod legs..

I would go with a rechargable battery if I were you... If you must use mains power, make sure your power supply is good quality, able to be used outdoors and well regulated.

Alex.

AdrianF
31-07-2008, 10:13 PM
I would say the power supply you use maybe faulty. You shouldnt feel a jolt or tingly from 12 volts. Have it checked before you use it again.

Adrian

Babalyon 5
31-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Thanks guys, that' awesome and exactly what I thought. If the centre pin on my LXD55 mount power supply was positive and the plug was the same size, I should be able to use that, right? Or I might have to just solder on a new end? Does the EQ6 come with any form of power supply?:shrug:

AlexN
31-07-2008, 11:57 PM
The only thing my EQ6 came with from andrews was a cable with the correct power pin to connect to the mount and a male cigarette lighter plug on the other end... its about 6' long.

Merlin66
01-08-2008, 12:16 AM
On my HEQ5Pro I use a couple of 20Ah gel cell batteries ( you definately need the electronic charger!!) and a computer step up (12V to 16V) rated at 3A.
Where/ when power is available I'm using a 5A regulated 12V transformer (Jaycar) fitted with a 12V female auto socket, again into the 12-16V step up. Works like a dream.....

Babalyon 5
01-08-2008, 08:03 AM
We have Jaycar here also and I know they have that power supply you suggested as I want to get one to run my heaters and filter wheel too. I think they are about $30 each. Jaycar, here I come!!:D

mrsnipey
01-08-2008, 02:07 PM
AlexN, I have the same setup as you (D-Smith power supply 3A & external battery) and I've never had the problem you're having. That's quite scary actually. I wouldn't be game to use my dlsr just in case it got fried.
I keep my power supply in a plastic box turned on its side so it doesn't get dew on it. I only use my external battery pack if I'm too far from the house (or my wife has stolen the extension cord and has hidden it).

bluescope
01-08-2008, 02:46 PM
I've used Dick Smith regulated 3 amp for over 12months with no probs. You definitely had a faulty unit if your mount went live Alex :eyepop:. Take it back.

:thumbsup:

AlexN
03-08-2008, 04:42 PM
mmm... yeah I have not used it since, I unfortunately did not keep the receipt for it, so returning it is not an option... :(

Oh well... the portable jump starter has not missed a beat even after the freezing cold at astrofest this weekend.