PDA

View Full Version here: : Is this a good buy?? Guan Sheng 12"

batema
28-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Is this worth buying????? Andrews has a 12" dob (300 X 1500) with 1/12 surface wave BK7 mirrors, 8 x 50 finderscope right angle correct image, 2" Crayford style microfocuser with 10:1 fine focusing and 2" to 1.25" adaptor, fan, GSO 6, 9, 15 and 25 mm Plossl eyepieces with SP32mm 2" eyepiece with teflon pads for $749. What do people think???
Thanks Mark B:shrug:

sheeny
28-07-2008, 07:00 PM
If a 12" Dob is what you're after, then go for it!;):thumbsup:

Al.

Matty P
28-07-2008, 07:04 PM
I've never had any experience with a GSO 12" Dob but from what I've heard. They are very well made and are great optically.

Go for it! :thumbsup:

GeoffW1
28-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Hi,

I think good value just now for that style of telescope, the RA finder is a plus, as is the 10:1 focuser, and there is a good selection of startup eyepieces.

I have the Bintel equivalent and it is a big heavy unit, hard to move any great distance. If portability is a priority I would choose another type, but you certainly get a lot of aperture for the money.

Units like this, 10" or 12", regularly come up for sale in IIS, where I got mine.

Have a read of

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.php?id=63,206,0,0,1,0

Cheers

Dog Star
29-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Yes, it is good value!
I bought that very model myself 2 months ago and I couldn't be happier with it's performance.
The only modification I made was to add a Telrad finder. I personally find them easier to use than the finder scope, but I guess that is largely a matter of personal preference.
I'm told that the supplied ep's are of a very average quality (not that I've noticed) but a scope of this quality for this price allows you to budget for higher quality ep's in the future.
Go for it!

Lismore Bloke
30-07-2008, 09:49 PM
I've just started using my 12" Guan Sheng. Very happy so far. Collimation was out a long way, but optics seem to be pretty good for a mass produced item. One of the things that helped me decide on this one, apart from value, was the old advice of E J Hartung. He basically said that as a telescope is a companion for use in darkness it should be simple and efficient, and that elaborate fittings get in the way in the dark and are subject to damage. The dob. design is ideal for me, as i am not interested in imaging at the moment.

The eyepieces supplied are not the best but will get you going. I am avoiding buying any high grade EP's until I have had a chance to observe with some good bits of bottle. Try and get along to a gathering of some kind or join up with some fellow IIS members in your region and see what they use. The only accessory I am fitting to mine is to swap over the Telrad, easier to use than the right angled finder, a straight through one would have been better.