PDA

View Full Version here: : tube rings

mick pinner
12-08-2005, 07:14 PM
here is a quick sketch of a new design of tube rings l am having a prototype made of at the moment, normal tube rings are rather expensive especially when it comes to the larger sizes because every different size has to be individually cast, with my design the hinge and tensioning bracket are interchangeable between any size ring so you only have to buy the actual split rings whenever you change ring sizes and bolt your existing brackets to them. Because of this, buying a new set of rings becomes significantly reduced, the rings can also be matched to a 60mm wide dovetail which is also being made up therefore giving the rings much more stability, these connectors can also be mounted on top to mount guidescopes or cameras. The larger rings will give much more stability when mounting SCT's on EQ mounts.

davidpretorius
12-08-2005, 08:07 PM
looks good, as i will be buying some sort of eq mount for the 10"newt, then tube rings are a must!

beren
13-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Looks good Mick ....having owned a EQ reflector a pain for was rotating the tube for the focuser to be a in a good postion , any thought on rotatable rings ?

mick pinner
13-08-2005, 01:56 PM
by unscrewing the tension screws you can rotate the tube inside the rings without upsetting the forward or backward balance of the scope.

Starkler
13-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Mick are you persuing this as a means to manufacture a line of large tube rings economically, or suggesting to buy the expensive bits once and change the hoop parts to suit each scope?

mick pinner
13-08-2005, 02:19 PM
l'll be making the complete set up but the idea is that you can buy a set of rings complete with brackets and then if you want to change sizes you only have to buy the ring size you need and change over the brackets, having the rings cast as they all are now means that you are having to make them in one piece and therefore you have to machine the brackets every time and so the price is more however my rings will not have brackets built in so you are not paying for something you don't need, you already have them, if you need two sets of rings then you can buy another set of brackets only when you need them.

Starkler
13-08-2005, 02:48 PM
I imagine you posted about this to get some candid feedback so these are my thoughts.

I doubt there would be many people who be changing the rings and fitting-refitting hinges and fittings each time, but if a complete ring assembly is competitive in price to commercial ring sets you should be on a winner.

slice of heaven
13-08-2005, 05:21 PM
I think its a good option Mick.
Especially if it cuts toolup costs and the entire range is interchangeable.
If anyone upgrades to a larger OTA it'll save a few $$$$ as well.
Do you have the same thing in mind for smaller guidescope rings?

mick pinner
13-08-2005, 05:55 PM
small guidescope rings are pretty cheap 120 - 175mm for about $65.00 however l am going to buy and modify some of these so they can be used as adjustable rings with decent bolts and threads, some of the members have mentioned that the ones they have bought are sloppy and the scope slips.

slice of heaven
31-08-2005, 01:30 PM
Hows the tube rings coming along Mick?

asimov
31-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Hi Mick. On my first reflector I built, on the rings I used steel over-centre catches rather than a screw/threaded mechanism. When in the fully closed position, it was enough tension to stop the OTA from moving in the rings.