PDA

View Full Version here: : Finderscope For Guiding?

pjphilli
26-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Hi
When I use my Meade 80mm f6 refractor for imaging I then use my 150mm Mak f6 for guiding. This works OK but it becomes a nuisance when no suitable stars appear in the Mak's FOV as it is difficult to re-orient the scopes (which are normally collimated) to get a suitable star on the guidescope. I see my 50mm f5 finderscope sitting there idle on its adjustment rings and I wonder whether this would be suitable to use as a guider with my Meade 80mm imager? I would like some comments before I start experimenting. I have already shown that I can focus my DSI Color camera on the above finderscope. I use PHD guiding software.
Cheers Peter

gbeal
26-07-2008, 11:40 AM
If it helps, I too have a similar setup.
My imaging scope is an 80mm f6 refractor, sometimes with a 0.8x reducer/flattener. I have a 65mm/500mm guidescope, and it works a treat, but of late I have been using part of a simple 8x50mm finder-scope. I unscrewed the eyepiece end and made a fitting to hold my QHY5, and this will be not unlike your DSI. Works a treat, all indications say it shouldn't, but it does. Try it and see, I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised. I have used mine with PHD, although mostly I use it with Maxim DL.
Gary

g__day
26-07-2008, 11:52 AM
I pondered doing this with either a normal or a giant Lumicon finder scope (80mm) - these accept 1.25" eye pieces so adding a meade DSI = easy!

Mind you this give you a only a 300mm focal length system (maybe use a 2x barlow?) with 3.8 degree field of view. I was tossing this up for remote viewing to check where I was pointing with a second CCD until I nailed the pointing problems.

http://www.lumicon.com/astronomy-accessories.php?cid=3&cn=Finder+Systems

gbeal
26-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Still reckon try it anyway Matthew, in my 80mm case it works well. In the project pile at present is a re-tube (well truss) of the 10" f5, and I think I will be pushing it to get the humble 50mm finder *******ized to guide with 1250mm of scope. Then I may have to go to the 65/500 guide-scope after all.
Gary

AlexN
26-07-2008, 07:17 PM
thats a novel idea... I have 2 8x50 finders wishing they still saw action... Might give that a go! Can't hurt to try it i figure

pjphilli
27-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Hi
Thanks for the replies - sounds like guiding with my finderscope will be worth experimenting with during the next bright moon cycle.
Gary - I see that you have used PHD but are now using Maxim DL. I have found PHD is very easy to use and its real time graphing is a big advantage.
My DSI Color camera is not very sensitive even when I use it on mono for guiding. Also when I have the camera running on its normal Envisage software I can usually see a few fairly bright stars but when I go to PHD very few stars show as if PHD does not have sufficient amplification?
Is Maxim DL better in this respect? and does it have real time graphing?
Cheers Peter

gbeal
27-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Peter,
try it, even at the start/end of a night where you have 5 minutes, or as you say experiment during the moon impinging on the imaging.
In answering what I think you are asking, I seriously doubt the different software will account for the perceived lack of sensitivity. I use a QHY5 mono for guiding and normally use about a 2 second exposure.
My biggest driving force for Maxim over PHD is that when I use PHD, I can't connect to TheSky for some reason, a conflict of the port I use, so in that respoect Maxim is simpler. This is 99% operator error rather than anything else, but right now Maxim does it, and has a tracking graph as well.
Gary

g__day
27-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Having used both (PHD for quite some time), I think Maxim is more advanced and feature rich if you want to try tweaking things. I'd posit that PHD has a better readout screen and its easier to pick guide stars (so the interface works well), but I think Maxim's engine is more slightly powerful and capable.