PDA

View Full Version here: : Urban skywatching?

generalninja
23-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Hello, first time poster.
I think i would be classified as a total beginner. Ive been wanting a telescope for a long time, and been interested in astronomy since... forever.

Its a long time interest. so im prepared to spend up to $1000.

Im wondering what kind of telescope would i need to do deep-sky and planetary starwatching from an urban environment. i live in sydney, 30kms away from the city centre.

I was thinking about getting a 10" collapsable dob but im not sure, or should i get a Maksutov-Cassegrain?

i have no clue about equipment, all i know is my astronomy and my f/stop from my focal length.

OR maybe i should just get a 10x50 binoculars from Andrews for now?

astropolak
23-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Hi
You will get few responses here and I am sure most of them will recommend a 10" Dob, this is a perfect size scope to actually see a lot of sky objects with. Do not waste your money on a Mak or SCT unless you can spend $3k.
As for the eyepieces - try to get the shop to give you a little credit for the eyepieces they supply with the scope and get something decent.
Initially get a perhaps 2 eyepieces maybe 8mm and 20mm, 20mm Superview may be a good starting point, as for the 8mm choose something with long eye relief - this will rule out Plossl type ...

Check out other posts about eyepieces, they will give you the info your need to make informed decision..

Enjoy your sky watching !!

Joe

g__day
23-07-2008, 01:42 PM
I would suggest a 10" dob - I like the looks (rigidity) of the Meade Lightbridges Bintel sells for $899

https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=7112

or the classic tube design for $599 with 3 eyepieces

https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=6993

over the collapsible Skywatcher design Andrews Coms sells for $699

wavelandscott
23-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Before you spend any of your hard earned money I would strongly urge you to go to a viewing night or two and see some different scopes first hand.

There are a few Astro Clubs/Societies in and around Sydney (depending on direction fromn city centre)...two that I belong to are the ASNSW (Astronomical Society of New South Wales) they have a couple of nice viewing sites and several active members and also NSAS (Northern Sydney Astronomical Society)...they have regular viewing nights at the Turramurra Golf Club...I am confident that there are other clubs in other parts of the city and surrounds. Heck, if you are near East Lindfield let me know I'd be happy to show you my scopes...

In both Society instances that I mentioned, they have websites that can give you contact information.

Alternatively there are a number of people that gather together regularly most new moon weekends up on the Central Coast.

There is no substitute for seeing a scope yourself and that experience will go a long way towards helping you make the right choice for you.

There is no one single perfect scope for all people...your interests, likes and dislikes can all impact your choices and your ultimate enjoyment. The best scope is the one that you will use most often.

Viewing from the suburbs can be challenging for DSOs but for lunar, planets and even double stars it can be great!

So my advice is to get out under the stars with some other people and see and use their gear before you spend your own money.

Good Luck and Clear Dark Skies to you!

tnott
23-07-2008, 09:58 PM
I agree. Check out some gear at a few viewing nights first. See what you like. Most people are more than happy to share their knowledge and views with others.

Dog Star
23-07-2008, 10:27 PM
G'day Generalninja and welcome to the site:hi:
My advice, for what it's worth, is to get a decent set of nokkies first and a couple of star charts or a planisphere. Spend a bit of time getting to know the sky and try to get in contact with some local people or group (or the IIS forums) and see what they use.
Don't rush, take your time and above all, enjoy yourself.:thumbsup:
A good scope is a big bite out of anyones budget and is a decision that should be made only after some careful consideration if you don't want to wind up with something that really might not be exactly what you want.
The multitude of choices can be a bit overwhelming to a beginner (it certainly was to me) so take your time and get it right.
Yeah, I know, probably not the cut and dried answer you were looking for, but in actual fact, it's really not bad advice.
The more you learn, the more learned your questions will become.
Best wishes for the future:thumbsup:
Cheers, Phil.

generalninja
24-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Hello again, yes, thats was great advice dog star. Im considering getting a pair of 10x50 binoculars from Andrews Communications, they are in my area.

Thanks for the offer wavelandscott, East Lindfield is pretty far but the offer is pretty tempting.

Ive checked the ASNSW website and their viewing area is near Richmond, i thought they used the telescope thats on site?

generalninja
25-07-2008, 12:43 AM
P.S

does anyone recommend a Skywatcher ED 80 over a 10" dob? I want make any investment, really worthwhile.

I do have my eyes set in astrophotography once i climb up to intermediate ranks and this might act as a great guiderscope.

iceman
25-07-2008, 05:13 AM
Hi GeneralNinja, :welcome: to IIS!

You'll be sorely disappointed with the views through an ED80 compared to a 10" dob. Really, very disappointed.

The ED80 makes a great guide scope. Or a great imaging scope. No doubt about it. But as a visual scope, compared to a 10" newt, there's no comparison.

The 10" newt can also be a great scope for planetary/lunar astrophotography - but would be challenging for a newbie as a deep-space imaging scope.

g__day
25-07-2008, 08:42 AM
If you're thinking binos - then Andrews 80mm * 20 magnification triplets for around $200 are great light buckets - you just need to have some way of supporting them. They capture enough light to reveal many more faint stars - so long as you can support them so there are no shakeys.

Having owned 30mm, 50 * 7 and 50 *8, 70 * 15 I'd have to say the 80 * 20 are far better!

iceman
25-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Just to be pedantic, binoculars are usually referred to with their magnification first then their aperture.

So it's 7x50, 20x80 etc.

20x magnification, 80mm aperture in the front lens.