PDA

View Full Version here: : Williams optics accessories with 140 neoachromat?

Prickly
16-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Has anyone had any experience using williams optics accessories on a vixen neoachromat.

The diameter for the vixen focussing tube internally is 49mm and some accessories are a little loose (48mm diameter) particularly where they have a deep groove for the locking screw.

Appreciate any feedback

Thanks
David

madtuna
16-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Hi Dave
I use a WO diagonal in my 140

The only drama is the lack of a compression ring in the vixens (same in my VC200L) the locking screws will mar the barrel.
No dramas with sloppiness or loosness though.

Prickly
16-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Hi Steve,

Thanks mate. I need to get a 2 inch photo adapter so I can attach my t- adapter for some pikkies. You really need the UHCS filter to get good photos with the neoachromat and the vixen flip mirror has a 49mm thread. I did by a 49-48mm converter but it turned out to be too wide to fit in by a whisker. If the barrel of the WO 2" photoadapter screws off I might try screwing it into my 2inch GSO diagonal when not doing pikkies.

By the way I love my semiapo filter with the scope for visual. I leave it on the diagonal all the time (very neutral colour). Are you using any filters?

Cheers
David

madtuna
16-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Dave I used to use my T ring screwed dirrectly onto the flip mirror but I often forgot to flip the mirror and ended up with heaps of lovely exposures of the back of the mirror. Now I just use a standard t adapter.
I use a WO 2" minus violet filter or a Baader fringe killer.

Prickly
16-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Hi Steve,

Yeah, you get that when you forget to flip the mirror. Thanks for the tip - I suspect it could easily become a pain forgetting!

Did you use a step down adapter 49-48mm to fit the filter on the end of the flip mirror? If so what brand works. I bought a Fotek from photocontinental (the only one I could find!) but its too wide to fit into the focuser once ive screwed it onto the end of the flip mirror.

I've heard the WO minus violets are meant to be very good.

Cheers
David

madtuna
16-07-2008, 11:08 PM
On the back of the flip mirror I have a 49mm skyglow filter. But when I use a fringe or minus violet I screw it straight on the back of the EP for visual or on the T adapter for photography.

The WO one is very good in my opinion, no noticable fringe on Jupiter...just a hint on the moon.

Prickly
16-07-2008, 11:31 PM
Hi Steve,

Didnt realise there was a 49mm filter! I did a quick google - was it the IDAS? How did it go for photography with the 140NA? Suspect it might let thru some blue fringing but maybe a stacked light yellow might help.

Cheers
David

madtuna
16-07-2008, 11:45 PM
its actually an old Hoyt filter. I mainly leave it on to stop dust and crap getting in. I've only photographed DSO's with it so blue fringing wasn't a problem except on a very very few bright stars.
Mainly I use the minus violet (48mm) on the T adapter