PDA

View Full Version here: : New SkyWatcher product on the way

matt
15-07-2008, 02:17 PM
I see Andrews are due to take delivery of new 300mm (12") SkyWatcher Newtonians (1500mm fl) in September.

Anyone seen any info on these scopes?

Very tempted.

I've been thinking of heading back to a Newtonian system for quite a while and think 12" is about my upper limit.

I was thinking I might have to do what Mike and others have done and buy rings and convert a 12" GS or SW Dob mounted OTA for use on my EQ6...but this is an even better option.

I really like the SkyWatcher range of scopes. I used to have the 8" and it gave some of the best views I've ever had through a telescope. Nice optics for a mass produced instrument.

I wonder what price Andrews will set for the OTA alone?:whistle:

AlexN
15-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Just what I've been looking for... almost.. I hope they offer the OTA on its own... I dont really need another EQ6 pro just yet...

Cant wait..

iceman
15-07-2008, 03:10 PM
I thought skywatcher already did 12" OTA's?

AlexN
15-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Not that I've seen for sale in Australia... :( Trust me.. I've been hunting....

matt
15-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Nope, not that I've seen either.

You can buy 12" tubes in a Dobsonian configuration, but not stand alone 12" OTAs...which struck me as odd.

Seems they've addressed this anomoly.

AlexN
15-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I was starting to get a bit annoyed at the fact that I was going to have to buy a 12" Dob, then never use the dob base that I've been forced to pay for... Just gotta hope the OTA alone doesnt cost more than a 12" Dob....

Being the cynic that I am... I'm sure it will be.

iceman
15-07-2008, 03:29 PM
You'd be surprised how convenient having a dob base is.

It's excellent for storing the OTA on when you take it off the EQ mount. And for imaging the ISS, the alt/az movement is far easier than trying to do it with RA/DEC movements.

My 12" rests in my dob mount when it's not on the EQ. If I had a permanent setup it might be a different story.

matt
15-07-2008, 03:30 PM
I'm sure they'll be fair priced at Andrews.:thumbsup:

And keep in mind what a 12" Newtonian OTA would have set you back 5-10 years ago:whistle:

AlexN
15-07-2008, 03:32 PM
**looks across the room at 8" sitting in dob base with rings on it...

Yeah, I see your point.. but its just one more (large) thing i would have to find a spot for

matt
15-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Just to let you know, I've written to Lee to get an idea on pricing and whether the tube will be available as a stand alone OTA. I can't see why not.

I'll let you know once I've heard back.:)

Matty P
15-07-2008, 10:30 PM
I've been thinking about purchasing a 12" Newt for sometime now and plonk it on my EQ6.

I'm looking forward to see what Lee has to say. :)

AlexN
15-07-2008, 11:00 PM
yeah... a 12" newt is my current major want.... I dont know if Id prefer a 11~12" SCT. but I know that dollar for dollar the newt is a better option.

matt
16-07-2008, 09:23 AM
OK.

A bit of confusion surrounding this one. Here's the way the exchange panned out:

Hi Lee.

I’ve just been taking a look at your website and I see you’re expecting a shipment of 12” SkyWatcher newtonians in September?

I see you refer to a OTA/EQ6 package, but was wondering whether you’ll also be making 12” OTAs available to those of us who already own EQ6 mounts?

If so, what price do you envisage? I assume these will come with rings etc?

To which Lee replied:

Firstly - I just checked stocks earlier today and also checked my website. I saw the following re the 12" Skywatcher (SW) Dobs...

DOB 12" 300mm x 1500mm

$999.00 AUD

Now in stock!
Yes, I do actually have them in stock! You may be confusing my website with some competitor who is still awaiting delivery of SW 12" Dobs.

Next - yes, I am prepared to sell Skywatcher (SW) and Guan Sheng Optical (GSO) 12" OTAs. I would simply supply those 12" Dobs. without their accompanying Dob. bases. However, Dob. bases are worth only a maximum of $50 to me. Therefore, the pricing of 12" Dobs. without their bases would be reduced by only $50 each from their normal/complete pricing.

The new model adjustable tension and stronger GSO Dobs. will be sold at higher pricing due to their greater material (mostly due to increased use of aluminium) and labour content.

Please note that I can't supply 12" tube rings for 12" SW Dobs. This is because their new EQ mounted (12") 300 x 1500 EQ6 PRO package is not yet available.

Also, no-one can supply GSO-produced 12" tube rings for GSO 12" Dobs. This is because Jim Sheng of GSO told me a few years ago during one of my visits to his factory that he's not prepared to spend the required minimum of US$12,000 to engineer and produce the minimum economical quantity of 12" rings, as they would take far too long to sell.

I have asked several customers, whom I know are mechanical engineers, to make some 12" rings for use with GSO 12" Dobs. One of them produced a strong, but half-finished version. Since then over six months have passed...with nothing further seen from him (or of him).

Due mainly to material costs continually (and recently significantly) increasing in Asia, there won't be any further reductions in the pricing of new Dobs. and many other products, as far as I can see. These material cost increases are also applying to general electronics accessories (which I also import from Taiwan and China).

In fact, four (4) of my Taiwanese suppliers have increased most of their products' prices by between 9% to 15% over the past 2-3 months. Those ex-factory cost price increases are just starting to filter through onto our market with the latest arrivals of Asian seafreight shipments.

My reply:

Hi Lee.

I believe you are referring to the Dob section of your SkyWatcher listings.

I’ve attached a screen shot showing the section to which I refer…with the details of the new scope amongst the EQ6 mounted reflecting telescopes listings and not the Dob section.

And just looking at your website again…but doesn’t $999 buy either a 10” OTA (tube) or a 12” collapsible truss-style dob????

I’m not interested in either of those.

I’m after a 12” OTA tube. A solid metal tube. I don’t want to buy a dob and mount it in rings.

I’m interested in the new EQ mounted 12” package….but just the tube. Not the mount.

Thanks for the reply.

I sent a few more emails by way of explanation...he wrote back saying he didn't have time to answer my questions and told me to call Luke in the shop.

Guess I'll be making a phone call.

iceman
16-07-2008, 09:32 AM
To mount your 12" OTA on the EQ6 you'll need 14" rings.

As Lee said, you just can't get them locally unless you find someone to make you a custom set.

I got mine custom made from Orion Optics in the UK but it wasn't without its dramas, and they're not cheap.

matt
16-07-2008, 09:34 AM
HI Mike.

Yeah. Am aware of the rings issue. That's the prob if you buy the dob and are looking to mount it on an EQ.

However, it was my hope that a new 12" OTA and mount package would solve this problem.

It'd have to come with rings...

I'm trying to find out whether a vendor would be happy to just split the package and sell the OTA with rings.