PDA

View Full Version here: : meade 9x63

GrahamL
13-07-2008, 02:49 PM
I have had a pair now for a couple of weeks.

they are a roof prism design and weight wise are quite manageble as a hand held binnocular..I find they gather a fair bit more light than my old 10 x 50s...the focuser adjustment is very comfortable and easy to use.
The fov at night is pretty good as far as I can tell and overall they do a good job for a cheapish pair of nockies :)

While i thought these were primarily made for astronomy use the box is suggestive they are good for terestrial viewing as well..which in my experiance is a bit of a stretch ..while not really noticable at night the outer 10 % of the fov is quite soft .. and on brighter daytime objects they throw up a quite lot of false colour .

Overall they do a good job for the price ..and while they are tolerable for daytime use ..despite what the maker claims ..I don't think they were made for it.

cheers

chris lewis
14-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Hi – I have had the Meade 9x63 about 2 years. If there is one complaint I have with my 'Multi Coated' Meade 9x63's is that there is noticeable internal reflections on bright objects. Secondary ghosting is significant on or near the Moon and bright objects.
Meade do promote there 9x63's as there one and only 'Astro' bino and it is disappointing they did not make them F.M.C.
Also phase coated prisms [along with F.M.C.] would also improve light transmission, contrast and reduce internal reflections. Of course this would be reflected in the price.
Day time images are sharp however as you have commented spurious colours and internal reflections are at times also distracting.
I would not recommend these binoculars as first choice for hand held binoculars – unless you live in a very dark sky location. A Hi-quality FMC 10x50 would be more advantageous and provide slightly less bulk.
Having said that on a dark moonless night - to take advantage of the 7 mm exit pupils and larger aperture - they do give reasonably impressive views. The Afov is about 58 degrees - not large - but I don’t get that restrictive feeling with them.