PDA

View Full Version here: : HEQ5 Pro Mount Power

stevenc77
12-07-2008, 01:05 AM
I was just wondering if anyone could advise me of any methods to power this mount, all I have is that cigarette lighter attachment. Is there a specific AC adapter or battery I can also use. Steve.

Merlin66
12-07-2008, 01:30 AM
I use both a transformer and batteries.
The transformer is a 12V 5A unit from Jaycar and I put a 12V car socket on the end.
The batteries are 12V 20Ah gel cell ( you need a special electronic charger for them) and I also use the computer step-up voltage regulator 12 -15V, 3 A; again these came from Jaycar.
Worked well for the last couple of years for me ( also use the same set-up but at 18V for the 12" LX200)

pjphilli
12-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Hi Steve
I have recently bought a 240VAC/12volt 5amp switchmode regulated power supply from Jaycars. It is Cat GH-1379 and cost about $30. Before I used it I did some bench tests with the following results:
No Load voltage: 12.93v.
Two amp load test for 1/2hour, voltage 12.78v (the unit was slightly warm
after this test as could be expected).
I measured the noise voltage on the 12volt output with an oscilloscope for both tests and it was negligible (less than 0.05volts).
I have since been using this power supply with my HEQ5PRO and ancillary gear with no problems.
Caution: The power supply is open vented and not for outdoor use (eg
where it is exposed to rain or heavy dew.) I have mine mounted on my
outdoor astro gear trolley on a covered shelf. If you cover a power supply make sure it is well ventilated.
Cheers Peter

AlexN
12-07-2008, 11:48 AM
I was in the same position as you less than a week ago....

I bought a 12v 3A power supply from dick smiths for while I was at home, plugs into mains power and has a cigarette lighter socket outlet... $60.

I also just yesterday bought a Car Jump-starter from Supercheap auto. Its 12v 17Ah battery, rechargeable from mains socket, it has a cigarette lighter socket 12v outlet... Runs the mount perfectly in places where you dont have access to mains power. Cost me $85..

Both work fine, although the dick smiths power supply says on the box in fairly big letters, "FOR INDOOR USE ONLY" where as the battery pack is in a sealed plastic box... I think its a safer option really.

drawnsley
17-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Hi Steve
How is the Dick Smiths power supply going. I am thinking of getting one for my HEQ5PRO.
David

deadsimple
17-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Sealed does sound better, and you get portability for an extra $25 on top of the dick-smith one. I might consider this myself ...

How long does it take to recharge? Can you also have it plugged into the wall while using it, to stop drain?

AlexN
18-10-2008, 01:34 AM
From when the battery starts flashing its little warning light, it takes about 14hrs to recharge.. I don't know if you are supposed to run it while its plugged in (I would imagine its not good for the battery..) however I have done it, and it worked fine... In my opinion, that makes it a pretty handy bit of gear..

RobF
18-10-2008, 02:00 AM
Another vote for the Supercheap auto 17ah pack. I have that and the DSE supply as Alex describes. Can't be bothered stringing out the extra wires most of the time for the power supply and does need protection from dew.

Power pack safer, but theoretically not designed for large number of recharges - I'm trying to be good and charge mine straight after use. If it lasts me a year or two I think that'll be pretty good value.... :)

R

AlexN
18-10-2008, 03:15 AM
Agreed Rob.. If mine lasts a year I'll be happy...

Next time I'll be going for the bigger on, 24ah.

deadsimple
19-10-2008, 12:53 AM
I went and bought the 17Ah one today with compressed-air for $105 (the non-air one was out of stock). And before you ask, no I'm not planning to use that feature to clean my eyepieces - they'll probably explode :P

Does the battery kit have protection circuitry to stop overcharging (i.e. allow you to leave it plugged into the wall overnight without fear of damage or having to keep an eye on it?) I can't seem to find any useful details in the manual.

RobF
19-10-2008, 01:41 AM
Mine says to charge 48hrs to fully refill after use, so overnight should be ok (at least I haven't blown the house up yet and have charged overnight many times).

Mind you I'm sure the charging circuit can't be anywhere near as clever as a proper multistage trickle charger.

Think I saw a warning about hydrogen somewhere (ventilation and don't use straight after charging).

Rob

Tandum
19-10-2008, 01:57 AM
I just use the old batteries from the cars here when they get replaced. Square bucket, car battery and cheap car battery charger. 240v is required to make it go but I need that to charge camera batteries anyway. I cut off the lighter plug from the supplied cable, extended the cable and soldered on a couple of big aligator clips to connect to the battery.

Max Vondel
19-10-2008, 05:24 PM
I use a Jaycar regulated lab supply. About $150- on special. You can dial up the voltage and current for these 9-30V and 0-3amps. Did it because I heard they were a little sensitive on power and a few units were being repaired or replaced due to poor power supplies.
:hi:

RobF
19-10-2008, 08:47 PM
How many hours a night do you find you get from the old car batteries Robin? (or do I understand you have them on charge same time as scope is drawing from battery?)

R

AlexN
20-10-2008, 12:19 AM
Robin has them on charge as the power is being drawn. Works a treat..

I've plugged my jump starter into 240v whilst power is still being drawn from it once or twice... Seems to go ok (multi meter shows little difference in output oscillations etc.)