PDA

View Full Version here: : DC USB Hub and Velcro

Zuts
08-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Hi Guys,

I havnt been taking many images but I decided to go out and do some cable management. I got a 4 port USB DC hub which controls the SBIG, autoguider and robofocus. I also got some velcro and stuck the dew controller, robofocus unit, hand controller and hub to the mount. It still looks messy but everything is up off the ground and away from a slew.

Only one USB cable back to the laptop as well. I havnt tried it out in the field but heres hoping :)

Paul

Tandum
09-07-2008, 12:05 AM
I've been using the little logitech hub lately, it's tiny.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/notebook_products/usb_hubs/devices/3048&cl=us,en

Ian Robinson
09-07-2008, 01:48 AM
I've one of those too , my notebook has only 2 x USB2 lots , so it's handy.

I can run up to 4 x self powered USB2 devices from the hub (or as many as 4 cable powered devices from it providing the total current draw is < 2.5A) or I can plug in the 220VAC - 5VDC adapter to run the devices if the total current drawn is > 0.5A (that's what comes from the input UBS2).

A 5VDC 2.0A voltage regulator chip driven by a 9VDC battery will do the same thing could be rigged up to provide a steady 5VDC 2A power suppy instead of needing to use the mains.

ozstockman
09-07-2008, 11:40 AM
I am using two auto retractable usb cables and they completely eliminate hanging usb cables for my QHY8 and QHY5 cameras. They are connected to two 5m extension active USB cables which are attached to my EQ6Pro head base using velcro. When a mount head is moving these retractable cables are either retracted or folded back and thus do their job very well.

I'd wish I had the same for 2 power cables running to my QHY8 but it seems there is no such a retractable solution for power cables :-) So I have only these two power cables hanging at the back of my scopes.

cheers,

Mike