PDA

View Full Version here: : Skyglow filter on Jupiter, WOW!!!

White Rabbit
03-07-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm sure it's old news to most but I just tried my skyglow filter on Jupiter and Holy @#$%:scared:, the bands just jump out.

I was using my moon filter to cut some of the glare out and though what the hell I'll try the skyglow, glad I did.

Anyway thought I spread the news to those, who like me, didnt know that this filter rocks for jupiter.

matt
03-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Interesting observation.

Which skyglow filter are you using?

Screwdriverone
03-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Hmmm, thats funny, my Ba'ader Moon and Skyglow doesnt seem to do that....not that I can remember anyway, must retry sometime.

Thanks WR, I will give it a try on the weekend. (mine was $85 FYI)

I do remember seeing Joop through a cheapie orange filter and AstroDood's 127mm APO "china special" refractor and the difference it made to the details and the GRS was spectacular! I recommend an orange one for visual too....

Chris

Chippy
04-07-2008, 12:24 AM
I find my Baader Moon & Skyglow does reduce the glare and provide slightly better contrast on Jupiter, although I wouldn't say it makes the bands "jump out" (unfortunately). I would also be interested to know what brand you were using?

I also use my moon filter on it, and find that helps too. The image is a bit dimmer with the moon filter, but I find I can sometimes see more detail with it than without. The M&S and Moon filters highlight features slightly differently. Hard to say which I find best - both certainly helpful, but not WOW.

I've just come in from viewing Jupiter now actually. I saw the GRS tonight for the first time clearly (sort of) with my 8" dob - well I'm sure I did. If it wasn't transiting tonight let me know; but I just checked and believe it is. Still it wasn't all that obvious to my untrained eye - but now I think I'll be able to detect it more easily in the future (I've probably seen it numerous times in the past without knowing). My new eyepeice is what I think may have made the difference - just got a WO ZoomII eyepeice :-) Quite nice and a bit better contrast than my other high power eyepeices I think. I had it 2.5x barlowed most of the time - so was viewing at around 200-400x. Seeing appeared pretty good tonight - not sure what it would be on a scale - but I liked it :-)

bigstretch
04-07-2008, 01:06 AM
Yep there sure was a GRS transit tonight. If you were observing sometime around 11pm then it sounds like you definitely saw it.

goober
04-07-2008, 09:47 AM
My eyes nearly popped out of my head when I accidently left my narrowband filter in when I swung the scope to Mars. Fantastic views.

White Rabbit
04-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Mine is just the cheap orion slyglow filter. nd the comparison trough my 12" LB, 6mm TV radion x2 barlow with the filter on and off is quite amazing. It cuts the glare down significantly and to my eyes makes the bands Jump out.
Ive never been happy with my views of jupiter until last night, I was blown away.

White Rabbit
04-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Yip could make the storm out with the filter on but not without it.

Chippy
04-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks. Might have to see if I can test out one of those Orion skyglow filters sometime to compare!!

Globular3
08-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Hi Chippy,
I use Cartes du Ciel (freeware astro chart program) to confirm Jupiter Red Spot transitions.
What is the brand/type of your 2.5x barlow please?
Thanks,
Glob.

Chippy
09-07-2008, 01:59 AM
Hi Glob,

It's just the GSO 1.25" 2.5x barlow. I'm actually interested to get a better one at some stage. Its not too bad depending on the eyepiece/scope combination. I also have the GSO 2" 2x ED which is better - but a bit heavy sometimes.

I checked the GRS transition at the Sky View Cafe website :-)

Regards,
Nick.

StephenM
10-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Hi All,

For anyone who's interested, I did a comparison of filters last night, using my 130mm newtonian. The Orion skyglow filter does improve the visibility of Jupiter's cloud bands. However, a blue #80A filter (available from BinTel for $15) seemed to give a greater improvement to the view. I'm looking forward to testing this 80A filter during the next favourable GRS transit, which occurs Sunday night at about 9:30 pm.

Cheers,
Stephen

Chippy
10-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the heads up Stephen. If the sky is clear I will take a look also and report my findings. I think I have an 80A also (have to check). Joop is sure hard to beat with good seeing huh! :-)

Cheers,
Nick.

JimmyH155
10-07-2008, 03:47 PM
You think a skyglow filter was good??? Well the other night I used an OIII filter :Dand saw those bands and also the moons - in fact I saw a moon vanish behind Joops
I've found a use for my OIII at last:lol::lol:

Globular3
13-07-2008, 04:58 AM
Hi Chippy,

Thanks for the info.

Could you please tell which scope/eyepiece combinations gave good/bad results with the 1.25" 2.5x GSO barlow?

Regards,

Glob.

Chippy
13-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Hi Glob,

Unfortunately its cloudy in Sydney tonight - so no GRS viewing :-(

It's mainly trouble with focus on some of my combinations. Generally OK with my 8" F6 dob but not so good with shorter focal length dobs (eg. not enough in-focus with a 16" F4.5 dob). Also won't come to focus with my binoviewers on a 4" F7 refractor (close but no cigar!). I actually can't remember all of the combinations that work and don't to list. Some of them just miss or are borderline if I fiddle with EP placement. Its possible that you wouldn't have the same problem with your scopes.

If it comes to focus the views are generally OK, but not as clean as with the 2" 2x ED GSO barlow IMO (which doesn't have the focus probs either). The 2" is a good barlow - just a little heavy at times.

Now that TV prices have come down a bit I'm considering whether to get a 1.25" Televue 2x barlow for $119... or for a bit more a powermate... hard to know what is best for visual. I've read conflicting reports.

Globular3
14-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Hi Chippy,

Thanks for the advice. I think I can see what you've been experiencing, the focus knob hits the stop and won't go in any more to achieve a focused image. This was something I'd been concerned about happening too. Maybe I need to try at the shop before I buy??? :shrug: I was thinking that the bigger 2" barlow probably works better for you because you're using the middle part of the field and so are not getting any edge effects from it. Anyway, for me, the 2" would be a weight problem, so I can't go down that shopping pathway.

Regards,

Glob.