PDA

View Full Version here: : Focusers from Moonlite

renormalised
29-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Just came across this site that I got the address from out of this month's "Sky at Night" magazine, for focusers. They're from a company called MoonLite Telescope Accessories. Don't know how well made the focusers are but from what I've seen they look pretty good. Nice colours!!!!:D

Here's the URL, if you want to take a look at them. Who knows, you may end up buying one!!!:D.....

http://www.focuser.com/index.php

Dennis
29-06-2008, 09:50 AM
Quite a few of IIS people have them. I have a motorised version fitted on my Mewlon 180 and have been very pleased with its design, construction, functionality and performance. My only gripe is the protruding cylinder for the focus motor.

Cheers

Dennis

renormalised
29-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks for that, Dennis. Didn't know they were so popular:)

Might have to get one myself.

Dennis
29-06-2008, 10:28 AM
I think that a few IIS members have them on their Newtonians. Now is a good time to purchase anything from the US due to the very favourable currency exchange rates.

Cheers

Dennis

ausastronomer
29-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Hi,

The Dual Speed Moonlite CR2 is an excellent focuser. In terms of retrofitting to a newtonian, it is clearly at the top of the available options and bettered only by the dual speed Feathertouch from Starlight Instruments.

Having used the Moonlite CR2 countless times and having a Feathertouch fitted to my 18" Obsession, I would never buy any focususer other than a Feathertouch ever again. It is only about 10% to 20% more expensive than the Moonlite and in a different league all together.

http://www.starlightinstruments.com/

Cheers,
John B

TrevorW
29-06-2008, 12:37 PM
I looked at upgrading my refractor focuser with a Moonlite however worked out too expensive compared to a WO Crayford upgrade, although the consensus is Moonlite focusers are well made !!!

astroturf
29-06-2008, 01:00 PM
I have a moonlite focusser the same as Dennis's fitted to my LX90 10"
It came with an oversized mounting flange, supposedly to house a focal reducer at the visual back end of the focuser,which doesn't seem to work in that position anyway

the problem with this flange is that it restricted the movement of the scope to a limit of 70 deg due to it's length as the diagonal would hit the bottom of the fork assy

Against the advice of Ken newman (Moonlite) who stressed that it wouldn't work, I had another lower profile Mounting flange made at reasonable cost which gives me all the clearance I need -(works fine!)

other than that I find the MF. is a well made unit & also opens up the visual back as a peterson eye opener would

cheers
Bryan

marki
29-06-2008, 01:54 PM
I have a 2 speed MoonLite focuser on my 80 apo and it is a work of art :). It is very smooth in use and I have had no problems with it at all. I got some custom alterations made to it at a reasonable price too as the standard version could not be collimated and this is the only way to collimate my scope as the lens cell is fixed. It is also rotatable. If the feather touch is vastly superior it must be bloody awesum coz my MoonLite is very good indeed.

ausastronomer
29-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Clearly, you have never seen or used a Feathertouch. Once you do you wont ever forget the experience. It takes things to the next level entirely and is worth every cent of the small additional cost. That's not to say the Moonlite isn't a great focuser, it is just the Feathertouch is that much better IMO.

Cheers,
John B

Dennis
29-06-2008, 05:02 PM
I moved up from a JMI NGF CM to the Moonlite and although the JMI worked very well and looked a fine piece of engineering, the Moonlite just seemed another step up and made the JMI look more like a toy focuser, something which I would have vehemently defended prior to the upgrade.

It’s like my Tak mount, which makes my Vixen GPDX mount look more like a toy mount, even though the Vixen is a superb piece of engineering.

Cheers

Dennis

marki
29-06-2008, 08:40 PM
I have seen them but have not used one. I was not overly impressed by their appearence (reminded me of the JMI EV focuser which I have on my SCT and that has an action akin to being dragged over gravel in your undies compared to the moonlite) and I will go out on a limb here and say the MoonLite product is a far more attractive focuser, for me anyway. I also like the fact that Moonlite are prepared to make any alteration you desire for a minimal cost and come as a complete unit compression ring and all. I cannot comment on the use of a feather touch but am aware that they have a great reputation. Like I said they would have to be pretty good to outdo the action of a MoonLite.

wavelandscott
29-06-2008, 10:21 PM
I am the happy owner of two Moonlite focusers (both on dobs) and they are quite nice and I would not hesitate to recommend one to someone looking for a new focuser. The owner of Moonlite is very accessible via e-mail and was able to answer my questions clearly and quickly. He is/was a pleasure to deal with. Fit and finish are top notch...I am also a big fan of the colors!

Having said all of that and being a Moonlite fan, after using the focuser on John's Obsession I'll say that the Feathertouch focusers are pretty amazing...

If forced to rank, I'd line them up Feathertouch, Moonlite...then everything else.

ausastronomer
29-06-2008, 10:29 PM
Some people you just can't help.

Comparing anything about a JMI focuser with anything about a Feathertouch focuser is like comparing a Morris Minor with an AMG Mercedes. That comment tells me you wouldn't really know what you should be looking for. FWIW the anodising on the Feathertouch focuser is vastly superior to that on the Moonlite, as is the quality of the machining, the fit and finish and the motion of both the direct drive and slow motion controls. The Moonlite is a very very good focuser, that doesn't make it the best you can buy and it isnt as good as the Feathertouch in any respect.

The story goes a bit like this. The bloke that just bought
a brand new HSV GTS Commodore proudly drives it around and thinks it's the greatest 4 door sports sedan on the planet. He has an enormous problem accepting that the guy in the next streets new BMW M5 might just be a somewhat better car, because his car is red and it has the same power output as the beema and cost about 1/4 of the price, even though he has never even smelt the leather in a beema.

Cheers,
John B

marki
29-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Mate, nowhere have I stated that the moonlite is better then the feathertouch only that it looks nicer in my opinion. Nor am I comparing the fit and finish of a JMI to a feathertouch, only that the colours are the same and that I should have bought a MoonLite for the SCT as well. As a qualified industrial chemist I am sure I would know what to look for in the quality of finish of an anodised product, certainly more than the average person. I am not asking you to agree with me nor am I attempting to change your obvious obsession with brand superiority, I do not suffer from focuser envy as you have implied, I'm not built that way. It does the job and does it well and I am entirely satisfied with its performance and finish. I am sorry that I don't like gold and black but many others don't either thats a simple fact of life. As I said I have not used a feather touch so I am not prepared to argue which is the best in use but perhaps next time I see one I will give it a sniff just in case I am missing out on something. I simply purchased what appealed to me and would happily recommend them to others as a quality product which is what this thread was about...... I once owned a BMW which I affectionately called the Barvarian Money Waster. I traded it for a HG ute, what a bargin that was......

Chippy
29-06-2008, 11:48 PM
I love these little stoushes(sp?) that crop up in threads from time to time! Makes for a much more fun read IMO :-) Great that people have different opinions, or different ways of expressing things. Its amazing how often these debates often bring out more detail about a product etc, which is great for those who may be reading that have never seen it. Thanks to all for your contributions and differing viewpoints.

Having never seen a Moonlight or Feathertouch focuser in the flesh, but having read dozens of forum articles, reviews and opinions about them (and seen a few photos) I almost feel like an expert on their relative performance and merits. The FT wins and is worth every penny !!! ;-)

Chippy
29-06-2008, 11:52 PM
I really enjoy some of the descriptions and comparisons too - "and that has an action akin to being dragged over gravel in your undies compared to the moonlite" was a beaut! :-)

GrahamL
30-06-2008, 06:33 AM
They do make a nice looking focuser.. there ball and socket truss connectors are also a very good product ..I found them great to deal with
as well and would recomend them to anyone .

cheers graham

asterisk
30-06-2008, 08:32 AM
What have we come to? " ...which is what this thread was about". Surely other posters can comment on what they may consider a better alternative. It does not negate your opinion about the product you prefer. Inability to consider alternatives only reflects on the person making the comment.

Secondly, I would hope appearance does not become the criteria by which we judge the value of a product.

Cheers

marki
30-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Asterix, in no way did I run down the FT focuser, not intentionally in any case. All I stated was that if the action was considerably superior to the MoonLite that the FT must indeed be brilliant. What I did say was that I as a personal choice prefer the appearence of the MoonLite focuser and yes I am shallow but I like things of both form and function and the FT does not appeal to me. This led the gentleman in question to launch into a rant in which he attempted to ridicule my choice and myself to the point of being down right insulting and totally condensending. This is not my idea of informed discussion and trading insults is something I would rather leave to politicians. My response was both measured and controlled. Everyone has a right to express their opinion but no one has the right to be obnoxious and rude. This thread was started to discuss MoonLite focusers and that is what I was attempting to do. This is my last response to this thread and to those who are considering purchasing a MoonLite focuser, I say go for it as my experience with the product and manufacturer has been one of complete satisfaction.

gbeal
10-07-2008, 06:39 AM
I agree, the fighting is unnecessary, but I would like to wade in here with a couple of points.
Having used and owned both Moonlite and Feather Touch I have had the ability to assess their respective merits.
Both are fine focusers, and both are backed by extremely fine service. Ron Newman from Moonlite, and Werner & Brig from Starlight Instruments are outstanding, going that extra mile to help.
If it helps with how I feel, I have two Feather Touch focusers, and a Takahashi Micro made by Feather Touch.
I do take issue with the last comment by Robin about the pricing and this on it's own could lead to the wrong decision being made. Before this blanket statement is made, maybe you should check.
The dual rate Moonlite is $265 or plus $10 for the brake option. The base Feather Touch is $275 or $310 with brake. If there is a difference it is that the FT is not supplied as a matter of course with an eyepiece adaptor, whereas the Moonlite possibly is.
Gary

ausastronomer
10-07-2008, 09:33 AM
That's complete and utter drivel. It is this type of comment that gives people completely the wrong idea and to be honest it is better off not being made. You should at least post accurate comments if you're going to post something. The base price of the Moonlite is $US265 and the base price of the Feathertouch is $US275. I wouldn't exactly call that double. When you factor in the cost of the additional options like the brake and the 2"/1.25"adaptor, the Feathertouch works out between 10% and 20% more expensive than the Moonlite, which was exactly what I said in my original post.

To cap it off, they aren't the same product and I doubt you have ever used them if you make that comment. The Feathertouch is a superior product. That's like saying you should pay the same price for a Calais as a Mercedes or the same price for a Skywatcher refractor as Takahashi refractor. It don't quite work that way, you usually get what you pay for.

Cheers,
John B

Rodstar
10-07-2008, 04:27 PM
I have a tri-knob Moonlite focuser on the Mary Rose (1:10 on one side, 1 on the other), and am very very happy with its performance. It has a very smooth motion, and snaps into focus without effort. Most people who have a play with the Mary Rose comment on how comfortable it is to use.

It is at the same time very robust/ solidly built, and so copes with lots of weight, which is a great help when brandishing Terminaglers, Paracorrs and the like.

It is well worth the extra expense in my opinion to get a higher quality focuser. Nothing is more frustrating than a rough focuser that causes the tube to vibrate, or which will not come to a fine focus without a lot of effort.

Austastronomer's Feathertouch focuser is indeed a treat, and I can understand why he is so emphatic in its praise. I understand it is able to be adjusted with a grub screw to sit at whatever angle you most prefer. That may be something that may appeal to some people.

EzyStyles
13-07-2008, 01:54 AM
LOL sorry no input on focusers here. Just a funny thread. John, i recalled having an argument with you about eyepieces. Go easy mate. Good that we all share ideas from our experience, but speaking back bluntly doesn't help either. chill :)

Starkler
13-07-2008, 02:44 PM
My position on focusers goes something like this...

If you want the very best and are willing to pay for superb engineering and a lovely tactile experience, buy a feathertouch.

If you just want a focuser that will do the job, buy a gso or wo crayford.
Personally I wouldn't bother with anything in-between unless it comes down to mounting issues.

casstony
13-07-2008, 03:38 PM
I looked at getting one of these for my ed100 and one difference is that the Moonlite is available with longer focuser travel (4.5" vs 2.5" for FT).

gts055
13-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Hmmm, great to read so many varied, and very focused views in this entertaining thread :)
Mark