PDA

View Full Version here: : C8 vs LX200?

monoxide
27-06-2008, 01:15 AM
Hi guys,
i need some serious advice here as this will be my last big purchase for quite a while.
i've been looking for a scope that would be a good all rounder for visual and imaging (both deep sky and planetary) while still being lightweight and portable to ride on my HEQ5 and i've settled on an 8" SCT.
im already leaning towards the C8 as its a lot lighter than the LX200 and thats good news for my mount.

i really dont know a whole lot about SCT's but for some reason i've always wanted to get one so i guess ill put it this way....

say i was to get the C8, what would i need to deck it out for both imaging dso's with my QHY8 AND doing a bit of planetary work with either the QHY5 and a filter wheel or a SPC900NC, i wouldnt say money is no object but id rather spend a bit more and get accessories that dont need to be replaced. also what could be potential problems relating to an sct? i've seen people posting with problems regarding a bit of play in the primary mirror.

also how hard would it be to piggyback the ED80, i wouldnt really want to drill any holes if i can avoid it

if i work out the weights it goes something like this:
C8 + ED80 = ~8.2kg
LX200 + ED80 = ~11kg
add both cameras + other accessories and bits mabee another 2kg to be generous and thats cutting it pretty fine for the LX200 id say, mabee past the 'photographic' load whereas the C8 probably just scrapes in.

by now i guess you've worked out that i dont really want to hear that the LX200 is better but... lemme have it..

sure i could have researched a lot of this myself but i wanted to avoid marketing hype and people that cant see past a particular brand name. plus i wouldnt really be interested in hearing things like 'the C8/LX200 sux because ive got the other brand'
plus i like to hear from people that may have been using a similar setup for what i plan on using it for.

Lester
27-06-2008, 07:41 AM
I would go for the LX200, due to having a mirror lock mechanism. If you go for any SCT without a primary mirror lock, you will be limited to having to use a off axis guider to keep images from streaking, or short exposures of 2 minutes approx.

White Rabbit
27-06-2008, 07:45 AM
I'm fairly sure the mirror lock feature is only on the 10" LX200.

Omaroo
27-06-2008, 07:56 AM
You didn't mention what Meade OTA you were considering - a traditional SCT (pre RC) or one of the newer ACF's. Mirror lock is available on the 10" and-up Meade units.

I believe, from those and own them and from others I've spoken to, that the 8" LX200-ACF will blow a C8 out of the water in terms of its flat imaging capability. I know I'd swap my C8 for one tomorrow. If you go out and get RRP prices on the C8 and LX200ACF OTAs you'll find that the Meade is around the $1,900 mark - about $200 more than you could buy a C8XLT for.

Having said that I'm thinking of migrating to an FS102...

acropolite
27-06-2008, 08:31 AM
LX200 (Acf) is better optically. IIS member Striker (where are ya Tony?) produced some amazing images with the 10 inch version of that OTA (it was then the LX200R before the RC lawsuit stopped meade from using the RC designation)

Tamtarn
27-06-2008, 08:37 AM
We've ordered a mirror focus lock device from Hutech for the C9.25.

Also an ADM top dovetail for mounting our guide scope

David

renormalised
27-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Get the LX200...it might cost a bit and weigh a little more, but you won't regret it. If it also means getting a sturdier mount, then you may have to fork out for one. With SCT's, you have to be careful with mirror flop. That's why Meade stuck a lock on theirs to prevent it. In so far as the optics quality goes, they're way ahead of anything Celestron have, especially the new ACF models. I own one, and I can tell you that the view through an 8" XLT just doesn't compare. The Meade has a far flatter field of view both visually and photographically. The image is also crisper and brighter. As far as piggybacking goes, all Meade scopes have pre-drilled holes already to attach mounts to your scope. No need to drill anything. As far as accessories to do what you want, you should have most of what you need anyway, considering you already have the necessary attachments to mount a CCD to your scope. However a few extra won't hurt:). You won't need a field flattener for the Meade but a good focal reducer would come in handy for DSO's. Try and get one that'll reduce the f ratio to around 6.3-4. Meade and Vixen make good reducers and either one will fit the scope. I've heard Prostar make OK ones too, but I haven't tried them.

One thing I would suggest, with either setup (Meade or Celestron) and that's get a sturdier mount, as I mentioned before. You'll find your imaging will be better and a lot less frustrating because the telescope isn't flopping around all over the place. If you can afford it, grab an EQ6 or go one better and get a G11...something nice and heavy that can take the weight of either scope and all the equipment.

Anyway, have fun choosing your new scope:D

monoxide
27-06-2008, 04:24 PM
thanks guys, its the 8" LX200 ACF that i was referring to just to avoid confusion.

ok so now im leaning towards the meade but a new ota AND heavier duty mount is out of the question for now, that leaves me wondering how accurate the mention of the 15kg payload of a HEQ5 is because if i add everything up im still under it by a few kg but i can also appreciate that this is pushing it for long exposures.

im guessing that because the SCT is a short tube ota it should be able to handle it ok aslong as i balance everything correctly, i mean its not like im putting something that is over its rated limit so surely its not going to scream and fall to bits or just not play along?

this leaves the question of locking the mirror on the 8", can it be done?
ive heard of people adding a crayford focuser and leaving the mirror racked all the way back to reduce shift while focusing but this doesnt sound effective for 'locking it down' during an imaging run.
how bad is the shift? im guessing if i was imaging at F10 it would be pretty severe.

after a quick google frenzy i found this on the meade site regarding the LX200 ACF range...

is this true for the ota only or is this for the package with the mount?
thanks again

renormalised
27-06-2008, 04:53 PM
The microfocuser does come with the package, however it can be bought separately. The lock is standard.

Peter Ward
27-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Forget the forks. Get a good GEM and put a Meade OTA on it. It will cost you less in the long run.

monoxide
27-06-2008, 06:04 PM
i have no intentions of getting a fork mount :)

the SCT will ride on my HEQ5 until i eventually purchase a G11
if i was to get the C8 the weight would be almost a non issue but since the meade is a few kg's heavier its getting to be a bit of a worry for long focal length imaging, im still confident that the load wont be too high to be able to produce some good results, im just guessing that consistency may be a problem (ie. having to discard subs due to tracking errors)

ozstockman
27-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Classic 8" LX200s (http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1552) do not have a mirror lock while all LX200-ACF models (http://www.meade.com/lx200-acf/index.html)have it as a standard. A zero Image-Shift Microfocuser isn't inlcuded in an OTA package. It's included only with a mount package.

Omaroo
27-06-2008, 07:23 PM
That's new!

Interesting.......

Anyone want a C8 XLT OTA??

monoxide
27-06-2008, 08:06 PM
well it looks like ill be going for the 8" LX200 ACF, thanks everyone for the input :)

i guess now i should be asking about the accessories, im guessing i will need a dew shield/heater a focal reducer and a good quality diagonal. anything else that ive missed?

also will i need anything special to mate it to the HEQ5?

toyos
27-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Why not get a 6" APO refractor instead? It will perform better than any 8" SCT plus the absence of SCT's compromises.

I have a 12" LX200 and I find the mirror flop, shifts, & having to constantly use the mirror lock pretty exasperating and it doesn't eliminate mirror shifts (adding a Crayford creates a clearance problem). The mirror lock knob needs plenty of turns for it to get a full lock, otherwise it will still move. In addition, the image quality of an 8" SCT is nowhere near a good 6" APO. I don't particularly like the zero Image-Shift Microfocuser either, it's too limited, in my opinion.

monoxide
27-06-2008, 09:11 PM
i really dont think id get a 6" apo refractor for anywhere near the price of an 8" SCT, id be happy for you to correct me on this though.

not that i really have my heart set on getting one but i think in the price range the 8" SCT would be hard to beat but im open to alternatives keeping in mind the goal of both deep sky and planetary imaging/observing.

marki
27-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Forget the microfocuser, get a crayford, theres lots available from different manufacturers and I use a JMI EV1c on a fork mount. I can still swing the tube up to zenith with my 400D attached in alt/az mode as long as I do not attach a focal reducer. As you are using a GEM, clearence will not be an issue... (I generally use a wedge so clearence is also not an issue).

As I have said on another thread you can remove a heap of mirror flop by simply undoing the grub screws on the main focus knob and turning it clockwise until it bottoms out. Back it out a touch (1/8 turn), lock the screws and test for smoothness. If its ok leave it, if its a touch tight, back it off a little more. This has worked a treat for me and I only use the mirror lock if I plan to do long exposures. The R/ACF optics provide a nice flat field with good contrast. I have only noticed a slight tendency for bloating through the red filter but that may be caused by my dodgey focussing skills:D. Blue/green/ha,0III and SII are all good as are single colour shots through the canon.