PDA

View Full Version here: : 20 inch SDM reflector

iceworks
19-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Got my new 20inch SDM reflector from Peter Read of SDM Telescopes in Shepparton recently. Peter delivered it to me in Swan Hill, and it is a work of art. This guy puts his heart and soul in to making telescopes. The views are incredible. First light, first sight was omega centauri and I was blown away. I don't think I could ever tire of viewing it. Centaurus A, Orion nebula, Sombrero Galaxy, Jewel box, Eta carina, Blue Planetary and Jupiter all on first light. I just love the views with this scope. A little coma around the edges(f5 focal ratio) but no big deal. Might try a paracorr one day. If any members are passing my way, welcome to call in for a night's viewing. I will attempt to attach a picture.

erick
19-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Big time ENVY! :eyepop:

Congrats!! :thumbsup: I'll be up tonight!! :P

Starkler
19-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Congrats on joining the SDM owners club :thumbsup:

What colour is that? It looks like a dark chocolate brown.
I bought a paracorr to use with my f4.8 sdm and it does a great job. In fact it really tidies up the view in my f5 gso dob as well. After having seen the difference i wouldn't be without it.

iceworks
19-06-2008, 05:27 PM
It's all Black with the timber blocks at the base and the top done in a reddish colour, looks hot.

iceman
19-06-2008, 05:40 PM
FANTASTIC! After looking through Rod's 20" SDM many times I can say you're in for a treat.

What a work of art. Years of good times ahead.

renormalised
19-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Wow!!!!:eyepop:

Now you've got the HST in your backyard, when are we going to be seeing some afocal piccies from it:D:D

sheeny
19-06-2008, 05:51 PM
Congratulations!

I am envious!

Al.

iceworks
19-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks iceman. I've even made a paved observing pad out the back. Takes me about two minutes to have everything set up for observing. Dew heaters, cooling fans, Alt-az, focuser and filter slide all work beautifully. The argo-navis is great once I got the hang of it. The 17mm nagler is a ripper, but even my plossls give a great view(albeit a smaller fov). I have a mate in Melbourne(Bryan Found) who is a forensic expert and knows the guys that designed ur website. Tell them the scope is ready for them to come and visit next time u see them.

iceworks
19-06-2008, 05:59 PM
I actually took a phote of Saturn by holding my Olympus u850 pocket camera up to the eyepiece(17mm nagler) and used the flash. The picture isn't too bad- no mistaking it for Saturn. Mate of mine owns a photography shop and is keen to bring some of his SLR's along to experiment. I might have to invest in a camera adapter attachment though.

Lester
19-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Wow, a 20" that would be awesome to look through.

Hope you don't have a job,coz when are you going to sleep?

renormalised
19-06-2008, 06:01 PM
If you get the chance to grab one, try a GSTAR-EX camera. You'll be able to save piccies to a VCR or computer and get some great piccies:D

iceworks
19-06-2008, 06:08 PM
As my moniker suggests, I own an Iceworks. Very seasonal business, so I get plenty of chances over Winter to stay up all night and sleep in the next day. Can get a bit cold, but I duck inside for spell in front of the fire and a sip of rum, and then back into it. I still stay up over Summer because I get that busy that the adrenaline keeps me awake.

iceworks
19-06-2008, 06:13 PM
I mostly got the big reflector for observing. I know some guys are doing photography with reflectors, but they spend big money on servo-cats and peltier cooling for their mirrors. Would a GSTAR videocam capture good pictures similar to what the human eye is seeing, and do it without needing controlled slewing of the scope?

Paddy
19-06-2008, 06:36 PM
I can only agree with the comments about envy! What a time you must be having - congratulations!

GrahamL
19-06-2008, 06:58 PM
great looking scope :thumbsup:..and its even the right colour:)

DavidU
19-06-2008, 07:03 PM
:eyepop:AWESOME!! I want one

gary
19-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Hi Brett,

Congratulations on the new scope and thank you for choosing an Argo Navis
with it. By the way, be sure to join the Argo Navis User's Group at
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/argo_navis_dtc/ where you can download
user contributed observing lists and find other good advice.

Best Regards

Gary Kopff
Managing Director
Wildcard Innovations Pty. Ltd.
20 Kilmory Place
Mount Kuring-Gai NSW 2080
Australia
Phone +61-2-9457-9049
Fax +61-2-9457-9593
sales@wildcard-innovations.com.au
http://www.wildcard-innovations.com.au

Rodstar
19-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Looks fantastic, Brett. Welcome to the SDM club!

tnott
19-06-2008, 09:47 PM
They are beautiful telescopes. I hope you will both be very happy!:)

netwolf
19-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Congratulations on owning Another piece of Art from Peter. Maybe one day when i will have the pleasure to own one. And ArgoNavis another masterpiece. You got the best of all. Are you planning to Add a ServoCat or Sitech goto in the future? Toss in a MallinCam and a some RF transmitters, a large LCD screen TV. And you can sit inside and watch it on the big screen and still be warm.

tnott
19-06-2008, 10:24 PM
BTW my brother lives in Swan Hill, so next time I visit I might look you up.

Screwdriverone
19-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Niiiiiice scope Brett,

You should get in contact with Jen (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/member.php?find=lastposter&t=29845), she lives in Swan Hill and is always asking about others in the area. I am sure she would be blown away by that monster.

You may even be able to start the Swan Hill Astronomy Group (or SHAG) for short! :lol:

;)

Hey, catchy acronym...

Cheers

Chris

g__day
20-06-2008, 01:06 AM
Having looked through Zane's SDM at Magellan - all I can say is what an excellent choice going to bring you alot of pleasure and excietment! Well done!

Matty P
20-06-2008, 02:13 PM
That looks like one awesome telescope! Congrats!

:2thumbs:

astropolak
20-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Congratulations..!!!!
Who crafted the heart of your new pride and joy (the Primary mirror)?

Joe

iceworks
21-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Primary mirror is by a guy called Ostahowski

norm
21-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Hi Brett,

Congrats on your new scope. Love to hear some reviews. Peter's building me SDM026, mirror also by Terry O. :thumbsup:

Clear Skies,

Norm

Jen
22-06-2008, 12:28 AM
:eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::ey epop::eyepop:
Hey there Chris awwwwwww thanks for thinking of me woohoo (im blown away wif this beauty cant wait to look through it) yay i have a space geek in my town yayayayyaya :thumbsup: im gonna hunt this guy down big time i want to get a club started in this area :thumbsup: a 20inch :eyepop: a womans dream oops ( i will rephrase that an astronomers dream) LMAO :rofl::rofl::whistle:

Oh and Chris i love the name SHAG :D:P:lol::lol::lol:

Jen
22-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Hey Brett im so glad i found you :eyepop: (I SOO LOVE THIS SITE) 20inch your gonna be my bestest buddy ever :whistle: call me, email me, hunt me down if u have to :lol: please. iceworks yeah i know where that is I work at Lower Murray Water :thumbsup: i brought my scope (just a 6inch skywatcher) from Greg your mate,
and hell yeah im coming out too if he takes the camera out to your place :eyepop:contact me :D i dont bite :P well maybe :lol: once i see your 20 im gonna want to LMAO :whistle: anyway what am i doing sending you this message now you would be outside right now freezing ya butt off but having a great time haha ok i might just go out the back and koowee to you :thumbsup: so if you hear a mad woman ranting down the street its only me :rolleyes::D
cant wait to hear from you cheers Jen

renormalised
22-06-2008, 12:41 AM
SHAG...Hmmmm.

Does that mean their monthly (future) meetings will be SHAGadelic observing sessions??:D:P:P:D

Jen
22-06-2008, 12:43 AM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
:whistle:

Ric
22-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Congrats on the new scope Brett, it certainly looks a work of art as all SDM's do.

cheers