PDA

View Full Version here: : OK, I've ordered a Skyshed POD.

sheeny
17-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Well I've done it at last. I've just paid a deposit for a Skyshed POD, with 3 black lined bays, and pull out shelves.:thumbsup:

After much deliberation I decided to go with the POD. I want an observatory that is more robust than a garden shed with a roll off roof, given the winds we get here. The POD also offers excellent wind shielding, and the wide viewing aperture will allow my GPS unit to still communicate to maintain accurate time for the mount. When I approached council about it as well, they decided it would be an exempt development, where a more substantial roll off roof obs would probably not be (though a simple shed would be).

The plan is to pour a pier footing, then a concrete slab around the footing (isolated with expansion jointing). When we move, the POD will go with us and thus leave a bare slab which the new owners may opt to put a shed on. Once I've got the scope sorted and set out to the best height to suit me and the POD I'll order/make the pier to suit.

Construction will start soon!;):D

Al.

Screwdriverone
17-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Awwww, schweet Al!

According to IIS, Oberon is only 100km away, make sure you get those Televue Powermate Barlow shot glasses out and we can break it in.....

Chris

madtuna
17-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Oberon is not far out of my way when I go to Bathurst....hmmmmm :whistle:

sheeny
17-06-2008, 09:13 PM
I might have to find some cheap barlows for the occasion... I can only imagine using Powermates!;):lol:

Al.

Matty P
17-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Congrats Al, I will follow this thread with interest.

I have been thinking about getting a POD myself.

Keep us posted and post some pics when it arrives.

:thumbsup:

sheeny
17-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Will do!

Al.

marki
17-06-2008, 09:22 PM
G'day

Just wondering who you ordered from and how much it cost?

sheeny
17-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Matthew at Telescopes and Astronomy http://www.telescopes-astronomy.com.au/
Depending on what you want it will be between $2-$6k, but contact Matthew and he'll send you a price list to start with so you can work out what you want and can afford, and then he'll give you a quote when you decide.:thumbsup:

Al.

marki
17-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks Al, they look pretty good and I really want a permenent obsevatory. Did he give you any idea of how long you would have to wait? I went to the website and it appears that he will import when the container is full???

pmrid
18-06-2008, 02:32 AM
The Pods look great but not for a big Dob I wouldn't think - at least not if you want to work close to the horizon. Has anyone found a similar observatory that might suit a Dob?

Peter

sheeny
18-06-2008, 08:03 AM
I have asked that very question in my email confirming I have made my deposit ;) not that it really worries me too much, I got some construction to do first.:)

But hey... the sooner you put your order in, the sooner the container will be full!:P:thumbsup::whistle:

Al.

iceman
18-06-2008, 08:05 AM
I didn't think any had come into Australia yet due to not enough orders and filling a container? I imagine you may have to wait for quite a while?

Can't wait to see the progress though!

sheeny
18-06-2008, 08:12 AM
I can't say I have, really. The closest I can think of that I've come across is an Astrodome:
http://www.astrodomes.com/

Al.

sheeny
18-06-2008, 08:17 AM
It's been a few months since I first started looking, Mike. I know back then there hadn't been any arrive. I haven't heard since, but I'm not too worried about the time at this stage - I have plenty of things to do.

But like I said, if you are interested in getting one, nows the time to order!:thumbsup::D:lol:

Al.

Dennis
18-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Hey Al

That’s terrific news – the Skyshed Pod’s really look the bee’s knees from watching the various on-line promotional videos. Boy, are you going to really enjoy just powering up and simply sliding the dome shutter back!

Good luck with all the site and preparation work, keep us all posted.

Cheers

Dennis

sheeny
18-06-2008, 11:17 AM
From what I've seen, they look real good for my needs.:thumbsup: I was originally concerned about the obstruction from the dome at zenith, but when you work it out, that's not a huge deal... and if you build a PZT (POD Zenith Table) then its no bigger problem than in a roll off roof obs anyway!:thumbsup:

The other little thing that I want to test out is the bays. At 40" tall it will put my lappy a lot lower than I'm used to. I'm also used to working at my scope standing up, but obviously the skyshed POD lends itself to setting the scope up so it just peaks over the wall, so working from a low sitting position may be a new thing for me.:shrug::) But I have a plan B in case I don't like it... I'll lift the POD onto a layer of retaining wall blocks.:whistle:

We'll see. It looks like its got heaps of potential.:)

Al.

nightsky
19-06-2008, 02:40 PM
G'Day,
You can have a look here http://www.atscope.com.au/sirius.html
there in Qlds depending how close you live to where they areyou can pick it up.save a bundel on shipping,but I think with a large Dob your better of with a slide of roof,Sirus arent cheap but there a lot cheaper than this mob http://www.astrodomes.com/ (http://www.astrodomes.com/)
Cheers
Arthur

nightsky
19-06-2008, 02:45 PM
G'Day
I've just ordered a Pod as well :) Matthew will be ordering them in 2 weeks and they should arrive 6 weeks after that,I have a mate who is interested in buying my Observatory if he changes his mind,which I think he will after he See's the Pod. I will be putting it up for sale,naturally it will be pick up only .
Cheers
Arthur

sheeny
19-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Just got the reply back - 8 weeks.:thumbsup::)

Good man, Arthur!:thumbsup: I don't know if your order has helped to fill the container or not, but just in case it did, Thanks!!!!:lol::D:whistle:

Now that gives me something to work to...

Al.

nightsky
19-06-2008, 05:04 PM
G'Day Al,
I'm not sure about this,when I was talking to him on the phone this morning he said that he had enough orders to "make it worth while" so I guess he will accept any order in the next 2 weeks,but one way or the other they will be ordered in 2 weeks
Cheers
Arthur

nightsky
19-06-2008, 08:37 PM
G'Day.
For anyone who is interested in buying a POD here is the price of the

STANDARD POD
1 dome, 5 walls panels, 1 door $3666

All that has to be added is the delivery cost to your door,and any extras you require.
Cheers
Arthur

sheeny
19-06-2008, 08:55 PM
So Arthur,

What POD arrangement did you order?

I've ordered a POD with 3 bays, and 3 shelves.

Al.

nightsky
19-06-2008, 09:06 PM
G'Day,
I just ordered
STANDARD POD 1 dome, 4 walls panels, 1 door
1 Bayl Black inside
Hadened foam insulation for walls
Hardened foam insulation for dome
That will suite me fine :)
Cheers
Arthur
Sorry for the delay in answering,but even when I sign out it shows me as still on ISS
thats the reason for the delay :(

nightsky
19-06-2008, 09:20 PM
G'Day,
I forgot to mention the discount :P

There are also discounts applicable for the first container:

- first container load customers will receive a 5% discount on the current price list.
- first container load customers will receive a 5% discount on the delivery to their location.
- first container load customers will receive a further 3% discount due to the Australian Dollar staying stable, above 90 cents.

The above discounts will apply when the full balance is due.
Cheers
Arthur

sheeny
20-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Cool. I got the black lining in my bays too, but I didn't go for the insulation.

Al.

pmrid
21-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Thanks Arthur,
The Astrodomes are expensive but they do seem to have better low angle access than most. I live within a hour's drive on them and will slip up and have a look - being careful to leave the cheque book at home.

Peter

sheeny
22-06-2008, 10:58 AM
G'Day peter,

That was my thoughts... but, just to throw another idea around, what about buying a Sirius dome only and just running that on a track on the ground or a short wall - say 1-3 ft tall?

Al.

pmrid
23-06-2008, 12:21 AM
Ah, it all became a bit academic a little while ago when I cooked the circuit board of my Mel Bartels stepper motor controller. Don't quite know how I managed that. I did say a few words at the time, as you can imagine.
Peter

sheeny
23-06-2008, 10:28 AM
That's bad news, Peter. Sorry to hear that. I bet they were words like "Blessed art thou", "Goodness gracious!" and "Bless me!".:P:whistle:;) I hope you get it all up and working again soon, so you can get back on track planning your obs!:thumbsup:

Because I'm planning to put the POD on a slab, the pier won't be in the middle of the slab, so I've done a little drawing so I can get the slab in the right place around the pier, and I've also put in a few dimensions to help me get the length of some cast in conduits right so I can run cables under the floor;).

I have also been giving some thought to providing power to the POD. I don't need power for my current setup, I can run it all from batteries, but I can see that eventually I may need to run a USB hub, which may require 240V power... Since I don't want to run permanent power to the POD, I'll probably opt to install a caravan socket on the outside, wired to a power point inside, then I can simply run a lead from the house when I need power in the POD.

Al.

Tamtarn
18-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Interested to know if anyone has received their Skyshed POD yet ??

nightsky
18-09-2008, 04:38 PM
G'Day,
Yes m8 should be arriving about 6 weeks I hope ;)
Cheers
Arthur

sheeny
18-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Yes. Hopefully before (and not during!:eyepop:) IISAC...:P:whistle:

Al.

bluescope
23-09-2008, 03:34 PM
I got a quote on astrodome and they were around the $15,000 mark from memory ... not in my price range ... the skypods are much more affordable.

:thumbsup:

deadsimple
23-09-2008, 04:07 PM
I would have thought the (relatively low-freq) GPS signals would pass straight through the structure anyway? Unless there's some metal in the pod that isn't shown in the photos or I'm looking at the wrong product?

Looks good though!

sheeny
23-09-2008, 06:02 PM
You could be right:shrug:. The proof will be in the pudding, so to speak. A lot will depend on the sensitivity of the GPS receiver.

Al.

nightsky
26-09-2008, 08:05 PM
G'Day All,
Just had a email from Matthew regarding the "POD" here is the message
"The shipment of Pods is at sea. A arrival date of the container being 9th November".
A bit longer than I thought it would be,but better late than never :)
Cheers
Arthur

sheeny
26-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Yes... at least it won't arrive during IISAC!:P

Al.

nightsky
27-09-2008, 02:50 AM
G'Day Al
I knew that news would make you happy ;)
Cheers
Arthur