PDA

View Full Version here: : 10-11" scope

bmsj
13-06-2008, 01:30 PM
I want to buy either a Meade LX200-ACF10" OR a Celestron CPC1100GPSXLT. Would anyone be able to suggest which is best?:)

rmcpb
13-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Not really my style of scope BUT the whiz kids will want to know what your plans are for the scope, your observing style, etc.

Robert_T
13-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Hi Steve, as a general rule, all else being equal bigger is better. Both Meade and Celestron are of roughly equivalent quality, so if the cost is similar you might as well go for the C11... there shouldn't be much difference in portability.

I may be a little bit more biased toward the Celestron optics because they "appear" to perform better for planetary imaging.

On the Meade side I do like the user friendliness of their auto-star software.

Why not get both, one for the week and one for sunday best:P

wavelandscott
13-06-2008, 09:34 PM
While not an expert with Cats...in most things astronomic, bigger is better (all other things equal).

My guess is you are asking the classic Holden versus Ford question...I am sure that either would be enjoyable.

g__day
13-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Different scopes are designed for different purposes. A key question is do you intend to do astro-photography? If the answer is yes that at that rather large focal length you have to give serious consideration to the mount that can carry, point and track that size SCT with significant accuracy.

If astrophotography isn't seriously in your planning, either combo will give significant satisfaction, otherwise I would ponder the Meade might be ahead with its ACF design and mirror lock, but beyond both of these considerations - ask will the mount suffice or do you need a G11 + Gemini or better - to those that have experience with both!

marki
14-06-2008, 06:46 PM
G'day

Again the question to ask is what do you want to do with it. I own a 10" LX200R (same as the ACF just rebadged after the odd lawsuit). The meade mirror is oversized (10.25" ??? ) so there is probably very little in the aperture stakes. I love the autostar controller as it is highly functional and easy to use and the scope performs very well in alt/az mode. Its a bit of a pain to set up on a wedge for astro-photography as it is very heavy and the pointing accuracy can get a little odd in this mode even if you are set up on the pole correctly. The optics do a fair job at reducing coma and the focal reducers also work well with this setup.

Alchemy
14-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Steve you have to give us details of what you intend to use it for.... its a bit like cars , theres four wheel drives for off road, racing cars for the track, busses for the big family, sports cars for people with little ..... ooops meant to say room requirements. what you want to do will give an indication of what scope is best, meade and celesteron have great advertising programs that make you want one but there needs things to be considered.

As far as imaging goes... long focal lengths are tough, a lower f ratio you should see more visually, big is good but can you easily move it to set it up at a moments notice, are you likely to want to travel with it etc..... the devils in the detail . await your reply.