PDA

View Full Version here: : What's Happened to Sky and Space??

sparky
05-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Ok did I miss something? I haven't seen this mag at any local newsagents for months. Any ideas?

koputai
05-06-2008, 04:09 PM
You're not allowed to ask. I have a few times over the last 6 months or so, and each time had my head bitten off.

Cheers,
Jason.

erick
05-06-2008, 05:20 PM
I don't think asking is a problem.

Last news I saw was from mid-March and said:-

"Hi,

For any of our readers who may be wondering what has happened to the magazine, read on.

Late last year, Lyle became quite ill - to the point he was admitted to hospital for some time. He is now back at work slowly building up strength and increasing the number of hours he can spend in the office.

The magazine is certainly NOT dead, just rather delayed, unfortunately.

The next issue is underway as I write this. When the next issue is finished, S&S will be moving to new and bigger premises (a BIG task) and they will eventually appoint a full time Editor with a view to him/her working full time on the magazine.

There will be a small delay when the move takes place but we are working behind the scenes to minimise the delay. After that, the magazine will be back on track on a more regular basis.

The management apologies to all its customers & subscribers for any inconvenience Lyle's illness has caused.

On behalf of Sky and Space Magazine"

I suggest that you email the editor and ask for an update.

Ric
05-06-2008, 09:26 PM
It will be good to see it back on the stands, always a good read.

Cheers

sparky
05-06-2008, 09:39 PM
I hope he gets better soon. I look forward to seeing Sky and Space back on the shelves. I did email them direct but got no reply.

Eddy

anthony.tony
08-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Hello I miss Sky and Space too. I emailed him but got no Reply.where as before I'd get a prompt reply. Tony

Ian Robinson
08-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Gave up on it years ago. Too unreliable and not enough high quality content.

I wouldn't want to be one the paying advertisers of that magazine, I'd be pretty cranky.
Things like this can kill a magazine I think , as advertisers who abandon them would be hard to win back.

PCH
08-06-2008, 08:09 PM
This month, as well as the usual AS&T, I decided to try the pommie "Sky at Night" mag. I must say I thought it was a very impressive read indeed - plus you get a free CD with all sorts of goodies on too. Recommend it :thumbsup:

Cheers,

wozza
08-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Yeah, I've been a subscriber for several years, and will seriously consider not renewing. Not good. :(

yoot
18-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Subscribed in March 2008, now October 2008 and have received nothing. I understand they may have some pressures but hey, I've paid over the fee. If they can't produce the thing maybe they should fess up and refund? Seems there is a problem with demand for this magazine and their resources to produce it. Aussie S&T must be eating into sales as well, I've read that and there is some southern sky content but I can find more info online for free. eg Southern Skywatch website is very good when the guy has time to update it. Maybe S&S should be recruiting Ian and some other better known
hobbyists here to write for them? Of course I say all this without seeing a copy of S&S and have no idea what to expect.

leon
18-10-2008, 04:01 PM
I have actually canceled both Australian publications.

Leon

matt
18-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Whatever the reason/excuse...and there have been plenty, and I'm sure there's another on its way to tide us all over for another 6 months, it's a shame that any astro publication could possibly have disappeared from the landscape.

I enjoy reading them all. I even wrote for one for a brief period.

They're very enjoyable and have a real value.

I hope whatever's ailing S&S can be overcome and we see it back on our newsstand shelves sooner rather than later.:)

allanhobbs
17-01-2011, 05:31 PM
I know i'm a bit late here but I have just joined.

I got bitten - purchased 18 months and received 3 mags.

I hear a rumour that it might be starting up again.

Cheers
Allan

ballaratdragons
17-01-2011, 05:42 PM
If they did, I doubt anyone would trust them again with subscriptions.

The old saying is 'Once bitten twice shy', but S&S bit their readers several times.
And would they honour all the subs that were paid for in the past that they didn't fulfill? :shrug:

Purely out of principle I won't be buying it if it re-surfaces. They ripped too many people off.

iceman
17-01-2011, 08:09 PM
There's been many rumours over the past few years about it re-surfacing.
It won't happen.

Hagar
17-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Do you know something the rest of us don't Mike? Come on spill the beans or are you just going on past performances.:shrug:

hotspur
17-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Yeah bit of ashame its gone.

I really liked it a lot more than the newer one.

I also liked how they published amateur astronomers images

And not the same semi pro imagers all the time.

Chris

ngcles
18-01-2011, 01:07 AM
Hi Chris,

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion about what you do and don't prefer in an astronomy magazine and I'm wouldn't quibble with you for one moment about that. Similarly, I'm not going to pass any comment whatsoever on other publications.

But, I'd contend that AS&T publishes a lot of amateur images and a great many of them are by Australians. I regularly have Australian "amateur" images as part of my columns (and I don't mean to demean their quality by calling them "amateur"). IIS is one of my best and most used resources for locating images for my columns. Doug Braidwood (Hagar) (post 16 -- the one above yours) had one of Corona Australis in my column last year for starters.

A very substantial majority of the images in AS&T gallery section are by Australian & New Zealand amateurs. Perhaps ironically, the superb image you use for your avatar is reproduced on p91 in the current issue (Feb/March 2011).

Best,

Les D

ballaratdragons
18-01-2011, 01:39 AM
Yes I must agree.

AS&T does use some pretty ordinary images, not just semi-pro stuff. Just look at the pic of Les at the top of his column :rofl:
It's even worse than his avatar pic :D

ScopesNC
18-01-2011, 04:47 AM
Purely out of principle I won't be buying it if it re-surfaces. They ripped too many people off.[/QUOTE]

AH SO. Kenny Boy did not get flooded out to bad I see. Good to see he is still kicking around. Missed that broadcasting fool. :P

iceman
18-01-2011, 04:56 AM
I don't know anything - just that the rumour has been around for years and there's never any substance to it.

Lyle also appears to have moved onto other business ventures.

Rodstar
18-01-2011, 08:14 AM
I understand Lyle may be involved in a business involving domains etc, see link below:

http://www.defendmydomain.com/c-span-wins-91-domains-in-a-large-udrp-filing/

erick
18-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Touche! He's got you there, Chris! :D

Outbackmanyep
18-01-2011, 01:33 PM
In my experience with this forum dealing with this exact question it's best not to ask and just let it go....and move forward.
I liked the magazine a lot, i never wanted to see it go but it has, a lot of people are put out by it but if it wasn't for AS&T and the Aussie forums we'd have nothing!
Who cares if it's Aussie or US backed, if it's out on time and the readers are happy why change it?

mr bruess
21-04-2011, 07:41 AM
I was shocked and saddened to see Sky and space magazine is not there anymore.
I'd enjoyed reading it for years.
I only found out when i couldn't find the magazine at the local library any more.

GrampianStars
21-04-2011, 07:46 AM
I care that 99% is Northern Hemisphere centric.
all charts and most images are from a northern aspect view.
Apart from a token southern image!
"NOT HAPPY JAN" ;)

astroron
21-04-2011, 03:16 PM
:hi:there Mr Bruess, where have you been for the last couple of years, Lost in space with the magazine http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/../vbiis/images/smilies/questionicon.gif as thats at least how long that the magazine has not been published:shrug:
By the way"Lost in Space" was the name we called the magazine :D reason it never was put out on time, and as of at least two years ago NEVER:mad2:
You must have been reading Verrrrrrrry ooooooold copies of the mag:rolleyes:
PS
Look at the start date of this thread:thumbsup:
Cheers

bartman
21-04-2011, 04:38 PM
I thought I had missed out on a mag out there on the newspaper stands.....but then I read your post Ron!!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Bartman

h0ughy
21-04-2011, 07:58 PM
rather than this ending up dragging things out again just go read the thread in its entirety.

thread closed