PDA

View Full Version here: : Sirius optics filter

cahullian
02-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Has anyone any info on the Sirius optics filters Andrews sells?
I'm interested in the neb-1 1.25" special filter. Does anyone know if they are any good ? They are selling for $99.00 but with recommendation I would be willing to buy elsewhere for a bit more maybe $150.00 at the most.

AOE also have Baader O111 Nebula filter for $129.00 anyone know anything about those??

Thanks Gazz

janoskiss
02-08-2005, 01:18 PM
There are transmittance vs wavelength curves around for both types of filters. Sorry, don't know where exactly, but I've checked them out before (just google). I believe the Sirius ones are not as selective, and peak transmittances are not as high; i.e. they look like cheap imitations of more expensive low/high/band-pass filters. I should emphasise that this is solely from looking at the manufacturers' data (which can of course be fudged), not through the eyepiece.

ausastronomer
02-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Gaz,

I own the Sirius Optics PC and the CE filters. They each do a reasonable
job optically within the limited paramaters they are designed to work. I
haven't tried the Narrowband filter (NEB-1).

The Sirius optics filters are surface coated and certainly not the
most robust of creatures. The data sheet recommends leaving them
attached to an eyepiece to minimise the risk of damage, that rang
alarm bells at me straight away.

I think they are certainly reasonable filters but on the other hand I
think there are better options available for a little bit more money, namely
the Baader UHC-S for about $115. May not be optically a lot better than
the Sirius Optics but certainly a lot more durable physically. If you want the best the Lumicon and Astronomiks UHC's are superb, but well over $150.

Mike, Houghy and I have the DGM Optics NPB filter coming from
the USA. It has received very favourable reviews. Why not wait
till these arrive, try them for yourself and if you like it order one.
The DGM NPB would cost you about $AUS80 landed in AUS. That's
whilst they remain at the special discounted price. Mike has a 1.25"
coming and Houghy and I have the 2" version coming.

CS- John B

Striker
02-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Where's the best place to get these neb Baader UHC filters.....

ving
02-08-2005, 04:32 PM
i have heard good things bout the baader :)

but i cant afford anything atm so I'll have to wait... maybe ;)

cahullian
02-08-2005, 04:40 PM
I saw the baader filters on www.aoe.com.au site
Baader UHC-S Nebula Filter The UHC-S delivers a darker sky and improved contrast over typical broadband 'Deep Sky Filters', but without sacrificing all the stars like other 'UHC' filters. The moderate 60nm passband and extreme efficiency makes this filter great for smaller scopes as well as the giants. Ideal for imaging, too (with >99% transmission of H-Alpha). This is what the site says about them. for under $115.00
Gazz

cahullian
02-08-2005, 04:41 PM
Thanks john I will have a butchers through them when I can.Anyhow I'm not going to be cashed up for a couple of weeks yet. First purchase will be a crayford focuser I think.

cahullian
02-08-2005, 04:42 PM
Baader O-III Nebula Filter Delivers the absolute highest contrast views of many diffuse and planetary nebula. For many objects, the Baader O-III reveals a level of intricate detail that rivals the best deep sky photographs. Our favorite filter for the majority of nebula, especially The Veil, Lagoon (M8), Swan (M17), Ring (M57) and Dumbell (M29). With a large scope, you can even view the famous 'Pillars of Creation' in M16 (Eagle).
this is the sales pitch for this filter also less than $129.00

asimov
02-08-2005, 04:44 PM
On special at the moment from AOE. I have one in the mail, will have in a couple of days...one of their ED2 EPs as well.

ausastronomer
02-08-2005, 04:47 PM
http://www.aoe.com.au/filters.html

Also check last months Sky and Space and Aus Sky and Tel, I saw several adverts for them.

CS-John B

ving
02-08-2005, 04:59 PM
saw the ed2s... let us know what they are like :)

cahullian
08-08-2005, 02:58 PM
John has your filter arrived from the US yet?
If so how does it shape up?

Thanks Gazz

ausastronomer
08-08-2005, 06:16 PM
Gaz,

No not yet. I will let you know when it does.

CS-John B

Stu
09-08-2005, 07:33 PM
I wonder whether the transmittance vs wavelength curves are the real thing or just look good to print in ads. I saw the ads in Sky and Space and AusSky and Telescope as well. If anyone has those baader filters in Victoria I'd like to borrow them for a day or two and I'll analyse and print out the real spectrum (I service spectroscopy instruments so it's very easy for me to do a quick scan on a filter or two). It's no big deal but I wonder...

Librarian64
10-08-2005, 02:48 PM
I recently tried out my new Astronomiks UHC filter and am very impressed. I winced at the price a bit but after one session I'm convinced of the quality. I viewed th Helix which I'd not been able to see without the filter. The Lagoon, Eta Carina and the Trifid all looked much improved even on the poor seeing night that it was. I can't wait for a clearer night to really get a better view. I wish I had about $500 for a 2" UHC filter for my 30mm Superview.

GrampianStars
10-08-2005, 04:05 PM
You on Commish Cal ? :D

I just ordered the
GS-SV20 ep ! anyone tried this one ?
also the Baader 1.25" UV-IR , + UHC-Nebula, + O-lll Nebula filters :thumbsup: