PDA

View Full Version here: : Skywatcher Newt/Baader MPCC

acropolite
24-05-2008, 12:17 PM
I've just taken delivery of a 200mm Skywatcher newt OTA :D for the purpose of Astrophotography, having been inspired by the quality Eric and Barb&Dave were getting using newt/MPCC combinations. My question, is do I need anything other than the MPCC (e.g. extra spacer rings) before attaching my 20D. The MPCC can be purchased as a kit with extra rigs etc so I may be better off getting the kit if extras are needed. I already have a T ring and 2 inch camera adapter.

My thanks to Andrews Comms for doing a visual inspection of the OTA before sending.

bindibadgi
24-05-2008, 01:19 PM
I think the rings are needed if you connect the MPCC to an eyepiece, but form memory the MPCC was designed so it doesn't need any rings to attach to a DSLR.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone. I'm hoping to buy one soon myself.

zipdrive
24-05-2008, 03:03 PM
I purchased my mpcc few years back when the spacer ring came included, but the instruction on the box actually said not to use the spacer. I don't use the spacer with my 350d and it seems fine.

gbeal
24-05-2008, 03:21 PM
IIRC the MPCC needs to be about 55mm from the rear of the flange to the chip surface, and given a T adaptor being screwed directly onto the rear of the MPCC it gets about the right spacing. You may want to check this though as spacing is critical to the accurate working. Great piece of kit though.
Gary

bluescope
24-05-2008, 03:34 PM
The MPCC fits directly to Canon dslr's via T Ring and gives the correct distance from sensor of 55mm. There should be a small circle with intersecting line moulded into the camera on top left near strap holder that shows position of the sensor ( film plane ) if you want to check. You only need spacers if you attach to eyepieces or other CCD's such as SBIG etc. The only other problem you may have is obtaining focus. I had to drill a third hole in the focuser collar ( where focuser attaches to tube via 2 thumbscrews) of my 200mm newt and fit a blunt ended screw to give extra grip ( my camera fell off scope a couple of times and hit the ground before that mod :scared: ). Three opposing screws are better than two. By attaching camera at that point ( without eyepiece adapter ) I was able to focus. I hope you get what I mean.

Someone else may have a different way of obtaining focus but this method worked for me.

p.s. If you want I will post a pic, let me know.

:thumbsup:

Welcome to the Newt club ;)

acropolite
25-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll order an MPCC next week.:thumbsup:

Tamtarn
26-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Hi Phil

One of the first things we did when we purchased the 200mm Skywatcher was to remove the rack & pinion focuser. As Steve has mentioned above, we also had the problem of the screws not holding the camera firmly, although it never fell out.

The MPCC seems more suited to being held by a compressing ring type focuser. We then tried a Bintel low profile focuser but found this was completely useless due to the slop in the tube of the focuser.

We now use a Bintel 10:1 standard crayford focuser and achieve focus with 6mm spare intravel with the 40D attached. Without the MPCC we could not achieve focus with the 40D on our scope. The MPCC changes the focus point.
THE MPCC also acts as the camera adapter so you will not need to use the adapter you already have.

Look forward to seeing your images when you are up and running.

Hope this helps.

David

acropolite
26-05-2008, 08:47 AM
I remembered reading that and was pleasantly surprised when I found mine came with a crayford, complete with focus locking screw. The internal diameter of the focusser is huge and it has both a 2 inch and 1.25 adapters. I do hold some concerns about the screws holding the adapters, although the adapters are wedge shaped (like the standard ED80 one).

iceman
26-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Did you get the 8" f/4 or 8" f/5?

davewaldo
26-05-2008, 11:48 AM
I think the Skywatcher only comes as an F5. Its the GSO which offers both 4&5.

:)

acropolite
04-06-2008, 02:29 PM
F5 Mike, I'm also going to make a portable dob mount for it. The MPCC arrived today. For anyone else who is interested, here is the manual (http://www.myastroshop.com.au/products/docs/mpcc-options.pdf) for the MPCC.