PDA

View Full Version here: : The new Orion Starshoot 6Mp with TEC

netwolf
23-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Hi All,

Just saw this yesterday a new Orion Starshoot.
http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=astro-imaging_camera/~pcategory=astro-imaging/~product_id=52084;jsessionid=4EA4B0 7F4BB6D2DD38E70564EABF2BBC.ivprod1

Note this is similar chip used is not the same as QHY8 or Starlight Xpress M25 Camera's. This chip is the Interlaced version, the Qhy8 and SX use Progresive scan sensors.

Also this is 6" wide and as such is quiet a big camera and has a build in Power supply. Also the 6" means its not as suitable for Fastar/Hyperstar setups.

All that aside for the price is certainly very good compared to the competition. With a 6Mp sensor this sure puts up a punch to the DSI III.

I would still prefer the Qhy8 or SX-M25.

Regards
Fahim

Zuts
23-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Geez,

I had a choice of a new QHY8 or a second hand SBIG 2000 XCM at less than the cost of the QHY so I went for the SBIG. With all the software inclusions i was not dissapointed with my choice.

Still, this is half the price of the QHY8, if it was available then i may have got one, if it gets good reviews it will be a real bargain.

paul

Ian Robinson
23-05-2008, 07:55 PM
What's the pricing comparision like :
QHY8 cf SE M25 cf DSIII cf StarShoot Pro ?

The thermoelectric cooling is the go .... surprised it isn't two stage TE cooling.

seeker372011
23-05-2008, 09:13 PM
its under A $1900 here -Sirius Optics are advertising it..so its $500 cheaper than a Qhy8.

Orion, BTW, have the best customer service in the industry so you can expect superior support.

But at the moment I am still not unhappy I have just purchased a Qhy 8

Gama
24-05-2008, 12:46 AM
I have spent 20 minutes trying to decide what to post. Do you pick on the short falls ?, its inabilities ?, its good points etc.
I have finally decided that every camera has its place, as with SBIG, FLI, Apogee, and US robotics plus many other very high performance cameras.
The prices are all different and of course this is due to performance.

Even the QHY series cameras have some short falls, so why pick on someone elses.
So its just another camera on the shelf for the next imager to decide on.

I think it is a good value camera.

Theo.

netwolf
24-05-2008, 05:58 AM
I am just glad that there are more levels of products now in the market to get people into the hobby. This way people can get into it and start playing with a smaller budget and then progress as there budget allows. For me the choice is still a modded DSLR for now, and then possible to move up to a dedicated CCD camera. While for me earlier I found the size of this camera to be a con from a front mounted Fastar point of view. This may also advantages to people with Fork mounted situations. Where a Slim body would reduce the chance of collision with the base.