PDA

View Full Version here: : 10 Piece Plossl eyepiece set

westsiderailway
18-05-2008, 03:34 PM
1.25" 10 PIECE PLOSSL EYEPIECE SET FULLY MULTICOATED

4mm,6mm,9mm,12mm,15mm,20mm,25mm,32m m,40mm, 2X Barlow

1.25" 10 PIECE PLOSSL EYEPIECE SET FULLY MULTICOATED

DO THE MATH: $175 / 10 = $17.50 PER EYEPIECE..INCREDIBLE DEAL !!

THE GSO (GUAN SHENG SUPER PLOSSL EYEPIECE IS THE ONE OF FINEST MADE PLOSSLS IN THE INDUSTRY TODAY. IT'S HARD TO FIND A BETTER PLOSSL EVEN BY THE HIGH PRICED COMPETITORS

Contrast is important to bring fine planetary detail and faint deep-sky features. Our plossl eyepieces have Edge-Blackened Optics and Advanced Fully Multi-Coated Optics. These combined steps in the manufacturing process result in better contrast. In viewing through a telescope, especially where a bright star or planet is present, there is some light scatter. With standard optics some of this light will be reflected back into the eyepiece and results in decreased contrast with internal reflections. With Edge-Blackened Optics, this reflection is eliminated. With the addition of the Advanced Fully Multi-Coating on these optics, you have an excellent made eyepiece.

When you tighten down the set screw on an eyepiece, you have a chance of marring the finish of the barrel. As shown in the photo, there is an indented ring on our eyepieces where the set screw fits. This allows you to use less pressure on the set screw on the eyepiece and still keep it in place. Sure rubber grip handling and rubber eye-guards that fold down for eyeglass wearers. Threaded to accept filters.

Plossl Series Eyepieces

The new GSO 4-element Super Plossl design eyepiece is ultra high value eyepiece with feature that maximize it is performance at a very economical price on the market.
For this set (4mm, 6mm, 9mm, 12mm, 15mm, 20mm, 25mm, 32mm, 40mm, 3x Barlow). The eyepieces are fully Multi-coated for maximum contrast and the eyepieces threaded to accept standard 1.25 inch eyepiece filters.

<SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><FONT size=4><FONT color=black><STRONG>

JethroB76
18-05-2008, 04:25 PM
yes?

westsiderailway
18-05-2008, 05:08 PM
It seems that i deleted my previous text:P:whistle:

What i am asking is how good are these EP's

they are listed on ebay for about AU$200 including p&p

is that good , or are they not worth it.:help:

JethroB76
18-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Just looking at Andrews, they go for about $29 each so $200 for 10 is probably reasonable.

I have never used them, but at $29 I wouldn't be expecting much

westsiderailway
18-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the input.;) i'll give it a miss.

§AB
19-05-2008, 12:12 AM
I'll take it!!! Check your PM

erick
19-05-2008, 10:41 AM
15mm and 9mm GSO plossls came with my 8" GSO reflector. They were good to get started, but I don't use them any more. I'm holding them for public viewing, but even for that I have found I'd rather use my 8-24mm Seben zoom for quick setup and framing of targets. Early on, I bought a GSO 6mm plossl and found the eye relief to be very short - it was too uncomfortable for me.

Try a 20mm Televue plossl. It's a world of difference compared to the GSO plossl. The 20mm regularly comes on the second-hand market for a good price. I also have the 32mm Televue plossl and also am happy with that. For short focal lengths (10mm and below), you may be happier with something other than a plossl. I like the Vixen LV 6mm and 10mm eyepieces.

Of course, you can spend many more dollars for eyepieces, but I think you'll do better with some eyepieces in the $100-200 range, then a bunch in the $15-30 range.

By the way, with a reasonable 2x barlow, you'd only need half those eyepieces anyway.

CoombellKid
20-05-2008, 07:35 AM
I think this line says it all....

DO THE MATH: $175 / 10 = $17.50 PER EYEPIECE..INCREDIBLE DEAL !!

Sounds more like someone desperately trying to get rid of them. I've
never liked GSO plossls even though they might be one step up from
crap! You could cut almost half from the list of focal length because
you probably will never use them.

Save a few more dollars and get one premium EP and start with that.

regards,CS

csb
20-05-2008, 02:39 PM
I agree with the Kid or you can get a half-decent zoom for the same price.

And you don't really need 10 ep's - if you bought the set, you'll probably find that you only use perhaps 2,3 or 4 of them (especially with a barlow).

rmcpb
20-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Yep, those sets tend to be composed of several paperweights and a few "usable" EPs. Better to do the usual and get a low, medium and high power with barlow of medium quality to start with then get into the bettero ones as you progress.

Cheers

chris lewis
26-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Give the 4 and 6mm a miss - the eye relief is too tight, the 9mm you may get away with. The 12,15 25 and 32 mm give reasonably sharp and contasty images. A little edge distortion but not distracting. Yes they are not Televues. I have the Meade 4000 Plossl set also and the GSO's give only milldy inferior images. I have used them over the past 2 years in my Meade 8in. SCT, GSO 8 in Newt. Orion ED80 /100 and my current Equinox ED120. They are best in F.6 or slower. You don't really need the set. The 3x GSO barlow introduced excessive CA - the 2x is better. For the price you can do worse.
http://www.agenaastro.com/articles.asp?id=132

dazastar
28-05-2008, 07:54 AM
I agree, those seben zooms are fantastic, only cost between 60-90 dollars and is the eyepiece I use the most. A few fellow club members have bought them after looking through mine. The best stargazers bargain on the net