PDA

View Full Version here: : Which mount ???

TrevorW
17-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Best mount for the best price following criteria

1. accuracy 2. autoguide port 3. Goto not necessary 3. rock solid tripod 4. easily transportable

name brand and $$

Your opinions will be greatly received

:help:

wavelandscott
17-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Although I am not an astrophoto type of guy...

I am not certain that best price and best quality will align well...I think that there may be some mutual exclusivity to this question...

From what I've read you will get good quality (solid, tracking accuracy etc.) or you will get something that is well priced...not the two together.

When I think of the accuracy, solid etc. some of the high end gear like Tak and AP come to mind...

With respect to defining value again I think what you are interested in is more of an issue of willingness to pay...

You might be better off stating how much you are willing to pay and then people can offer the most appropriate suggestion...just a thought...

Dennis
17-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Astrophysics (http://www.astro-physics.com/)Mach1GTO German Equatorial Mount with GTOCP3 Control Box at around US $5950 without tripod and mounting accessories.

Cheers

Dennis

TrevorW
17-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Good Point about $$$ try and say between $2000-4000

Ian Robinson
17-05-2008, 01:30 PM
I recently went through the same exercise , I bought a Vixen Atlux with tripod.

For my money .... (just under $6700 locally bought) it is better than the alternatives I was considering ie CGE and G11.

My current scope is a 10" f/4.66 newt , and I wanted a GEM that can easily handle that and will last me a long time (that I can "grow" into .... I am planning on upgrading one day to a 14.5" or 15" RFT newt and I think the Atlux will handle that , but am not so sure with the CGE or G11).

The build quality and periodic error off the shelf is better than the Losmandy and Celestron "equivalents" too.

dugnsuz
17-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Losmandy GM-8 approx $2400AU - autoguide port, no GoTo, accurate, tripod - transportable.
A couple of reviews...
http://www.californiastars.net/review_gm8.html
http://www.danlessmann.com/LosmandyGM8Review.htm

All the best...wish I had your budget!!
Doug

Hagar
17-05-2008, 02:46 PM
For Mine I have an EQ6 with goto. Less than $2k enough change for a guide camera. Accuracy wise. This mount is as good as I have seen. It lands the desired object dead center everytime a goto is selected. (as long as I set up correctly with an illuminated reticle or cross hair reticle) Solid as the proverbial brick dunny with a good load carrying capacity.

TrevorW
20-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Come on must be more suggestions out there

g__day
20-05-2008, 12:39 PM
What carrying capacity do you need?

What tracking accuracy can you live with?

What budget are you trying to fit within?

You need to specify these tolerances for folk to have a chance of meaningfully help you review acceptable choices.

Omaroo
20-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Trevor - you tell us that you have a $2-$4k budget and you get suggestions up in the $6.5k bracket. :shrug:

$2k-$4k is not much to play with in these circles, but I think that the G11 would likely fit your bill straight up - and at around $3.5-$3.7k for the basic mount and stepper drive electronics it suits your dollarific requirements. It's way under the $5.7k wanted for the Gemini version - and you can always fit it with shaft encoders and an Argo Navis later on for around another $900.

The other alternative (from overseas) is a Takahashi EM200 for around the $4.5k mark - a little more than you want to spend and which has slightly less load capacity than the G11 but is beautifully built. Its PE performance is legendary and guided will never leave you wanting. The only thing is that you have to furnish your own tripod.

G11 astrophotographic capacity is probably around the 18kg mark (75% of advertised rated capacity of 25kg). The EM200's safe capacity is probably around the 14kg mark.

Ian Robinson
20-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Vixen Spinx Delux maybe. I think that would give you a good platform , add a pedestal or a tripod and you'd have change for an autoguider and maybe a coma corrector too if you have fast newt or a reducer/field flattener if you have an APO.

bluescope
20-05-2008, 04:01 PM
It really depends how fussy you are and what you want to use it for i.e. visual or imaging ..... quality always comes at a premium. I have an EQ6 pro and it is serving me well. It is very solid and stable and right now Bintel are selling them at $1,495.

I see you are from around Perth ... give Keith a call at Binnocular Telescope and Optical World ( B.T.O.W. 9249 6825 http://www.btow.com.au/ ) and he will usually match prices on gear.

The advantage is that if he has one in stock you get it straight away and you don't pay shipping costs, just a bit of petrol. ;)

Ofcourse if you want to go better quality I think the Losmandy G11 with Gemini for around $5,500 would be on my shopping list.

:thumbsup:

gbeal
20-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Given the budget constraints, buy used.
I have a nice AP400GTO, but it is only somewhere between the GM8 and G11 for loading. Nice but.
Gary

mark964
20-05-2008, 06:38 PM
would stick with Tak

Ian Robinson
20-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Tak GEMs are great , but $$$$$$$$$:eyepop:

TrevorW
20-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Guys this is more like it food for thought personally I've been tossing up between an EQ6 and a G11 my ulitimate aim is to mount two scopes a good 8-10" SC such as a Vixen for visual and I like the looks of the Astrotech 80mm or Stellarvue APO for photography. Plus a 60mm finder, DSLR, so I'd need something with good tracking and low PEC

acropolite
20-05-2008, 07:59 PM
I'd have the G11 and Argonavis, if go to isn't that important, I've seen the G11/Argo combination in use and it was very impressive.

Omaroo
20-05-2008, 08:39 PM
My original aim Phil. I only have the Gemini on my G11 at the moment, on loan, until the distributor can get what I originally ordered - the Digital Drive electronics and steppers. I then intend to fit the encoders and Argo. I've used this combination down at Zane Hammond's Magellan Observatory and loved the combination. I actually preferred it on the last night I was there to his GM2000/Argo setup which was right beside me.

bluescope
20-05-2008, 11:53 PM
I was torn between those two as well but then I saw the images that guys like Eric Styles " EzyStyles " and others were getting using the EQ6 and I thought wow less than half the price and excellent images. Don't forget it's not just the gear but how well you use it ... I've seen some crapp pics taken using G11's in fact I've seen crapp pics taken using lots of different higher end mounts and CCD's. It's a bit like musical instruments if you can't play you can't play no matter how much the instrument costs ( I'm a musician by the way ). Everyone is going to have their particular favourites for one reason or another so go with your gut.

TrevorW
21-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Exactly Steve I see you are from Perth I live in Kelmscott. I've taken some great shots of the moon with a auto digital camera and just the other night I took some real lousy ones so getting the right shot is not always about the equipment. You are right about the EQ6 the price is right at the moment.

leinad
21-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Hey Trevor,

My EQ6 just arrived yesterday from Bintel. Sturdy and solid. $1499 plus $70 freight. Arrived in 4days from the Skywatcher factory.

netwolf
21-05-2008, 05:34 PM
You could easily get a used G11 with gemini for this budget of Amart. Usually sell for 2500-2800US. Then you need to consider shipping and 10% GST. If you want better PE performance you could possibly find a Ap400 or AP600 mount or EM-200. You have not specified i can key item, what capcity are you looking for. And also will you be Imagine DSO's or Planets or both.

Best bang for buck in Australia is the EQ6 at present. However the PE on this might limit you to shorter FL's for DSO work.

TrevorW
21-05-2008, 07:33 PM
leinard BTOW quoted $1795 with a 5 year warranty and said Andrews getting them through the backdoor and can't match the warranty

are they spinning a yarn or are Bintel offering the same warranty

bluescope
22-05-2008, 02:02 AM
Bintel online store says they have SOLD OUT but their price was $1,495 ......

leinad
22-05-2008, 02:06 AM
PM sent.