PDA

View Full Version here: : APO Telescope - ORDERED

prova
06-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Thought I'd start a new thread advising that after a great deal of communication with the supplier and report from a person who has dealed directly with them that I have now paid for the 127cm APO refractor, specs if you haven't seen the other post -

127mm ED APO/apochromatic refractor telescope
Japanese 3 element/triplet objective and fully multi coating
8x50 illuminating reticle finder scope
2inch/50.8mm focuser tube and 2 inch/50.8mm 99% dielectric diagonal
70 degree super wide angle eyepieces/WA10mm/WA15mm
Dual speed adjusting focuser
Tube rings/dovetail rail
Aluminum case

Will post pictures and info upon arrival ..

gbeal
06-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Did they give you a time-frame?

prova
06-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Ok, they said 40 days as they're custom made however he said it definitely could be sooner ..?

gbeal
06-05-2008, 12:39 PM
OK, thanks.
Gary

TrevorW
06-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Well finally someone with the balXXXs to take the plunge.

I posted the original thread but I don't have the money to spare at this point in time.

So all going well, we will expect a review in 40 days odd giving us all the details.

Hope no hiccups all the best !!!

:D

wavelandscott
06-05-2008, 01:05 PM
I hope that the transaction runs smoothly and that you find the scope to be a good one!

I am certain that there are many anxious by-standers that are interested in the results of both the successful transaction and the scope in action...I hope that you can keep everyone posted on the experience.

prova
06-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Hehe, sure will :thumbsup:

I know alot on here were all holding they're breath for someone to take the plunge and doing as much background research not only on the supplier but the actual product as I could I went for it..

Mind you, paying via Paypal was the only way I was ever going to do it.

Keep you all posted...

Terry B
06-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Good luck.
I am also going to order one when the needed emails arrive.

gbeal
06-05-2008, 03:12 PM
As an aside, and being a big time PayPal user for a while now, how much security do you actually have? Are you sure there is an escape route if things go pear shaped?
Gary

prova
06-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Know what you mean, however in rare 'scam' eBay cases the Paypal protection system has helped..

I guess at the end of the day it's just that little bit more security and traceability than a cash bank deposit ..

gbeal
06-05-2008, 04:24 PM
While you probably don't want to hear this, LOL, I disagree. If you hit a snag with eBay and PayPal, then maybe, because they are one and the same outfit. But PayPal to an unknown person or company? Maybe, maybe not. I err on the side of maybe not.
I seriously doubt there is more traceability with PayPal, and to this end always chuckle at all the Hotmail and Yahoo addresses people have for this very reason. Why else do you think Astromart won't allow the likes of Hotmail and Yahoo accounts? Traceability.
Hope it all works for you, really I do.
Gary

prova
06-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks Gary, I hope so too !

Satchmo
06-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Isn't the instrument coming direct from Nanjing North Optical? What purpose would it serve them if they didn't deliver ? I would expect that they would like to attract as many new sales from the West as they possibly could.:)

seeker372011
06-05-2008, 06:14 PM
actually so do all the rest of us who are eagerly awaiting your first light report..I am particularly interested to know what it weighs-is it really 30 lbs as Cloudy Nights thread seems to indicate-and of course the optical performance

h0ughy
06-05-2008, 09:37 PM
its messy but here are some questions and answers:

Gilman,

You have probably been inundated with emails, but I do appreciate your responses to my questions; please bear with me as I have a few more.

Are you able to supply your bank details for the transfer of funds,

we attached a proforma invoice in this mail, please check it.

our corp account is displayed in our proforma invoice.

and does your company accept PAYPAL purchasing?

if you stick to pay via paypal, you need add USD80 as handle charge.

our paypal account is lindazlz@yahoo.com.cn

I ask about PAYPAL as this provides some security for the transaction for the purchaser – namely me, and security of funds transfer for you, and a receipt of funds transferred as well as an easier method of payment options for me.

How long will it take to send the scope once payment has been made?

about 40 days, maybe sooner.

May I get some closer images of the focuser and the objective lens?

we attached photo in this mail, please check it.

If the scope arrives mis-collimated – can the scope be collimated? if so how?

if so, you may collimated it by yourself according to our manual.

Do the scope rings allow for piggyback mounting another set of rings for a guide scope?

we can't confirm it, and attached a photo in this mail, please check it.

Does the focuser rotate allowing for framing a photograph? If not then how much extra for one that does?

What guarantees are offered with the scope?

a year.

Is it any cheaper for 2 pieces?

if 2pcs, you don't pay USD50, and the postage for each pc will be a little cheaper.

How heavy is the scope?

about 9kg.

Why does it cost an extra $50 for the scope for handling?

only for small order, if delete it, many end users will buy scope from us directly.

prova
06-05-2008, 09:51 PM
I basically got a confirmation email from them confirming and thanking me for payment and that with any luck I will have the kit in around 25 days.

Let's wait and see...

toyos
06-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Nanjing North Group or 'Nanjing Astronomy Equipment Factory' (contact person Gilman) is not the manufacturer. They just pretend they are the manufacturer, common practice in China especially towards foreigners to make you think that you're getting a bargain by dealing directly with the manufacturer. They source many of the telescopes from JOC http://www.joctech.com/www/index.html

Damage during shipping is also more common with small purchases since they will be sent in smaller packages instead of one big pallet or container. So make sure you repeatedly ask him to pack it extra well. Sometimes they define 'good packaging' as carton boxes and a few thin coarsely cut foam bits, and that's about it.

Synta and JOC are the largest telescope manufacturers in China.

seeker372011
06-05-2008, 09:54 PM
9 kg-a lot less then 30 lbs.....ok i can hardly wait for the 25 days before the OP gets the scope and posts a first light report..guess its time to start putting some gold coins in the old piggy bank

h0ughy
08-05-2008, 03:33 PM
OK I just bought one as well

prova
08-05-2008, 04:46 PM
woot!

Terry B
08-05-2008, 04:57 PM
So have I

netwolf
08-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Woott..... They are all being bought out i hope one will be left for me down the track.

h0ughy
08-05-2008, 05:38 PM
mine was for 1137 US all up delivered
- i payed via paypal

Terry B
08-05-2008, 05:51 PM
US$1145 here. Maybe shipping is a bit more to the mountains?

prova
08-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Same here, paid the extra 10USD for Insurance

Ian Robinson
08-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Sounds like a nice bit of kit ....

How do think it will perform cf comparable medium f ED APOs of the same size ?

netwolf
08-05-2008, 09:15 PM
At worst it will perform like any other ED refractor, and at best ...
For the price I dont think one can complain even if they got ED performance.
I have an Idea seeing you all live about the same distance from me you could send them all to me and I will do a side by side test for free ;).

toyos
08-05-2008, 11:27 PM
This is what it will look like.....

h0ughy
11-05-2008, 09:51 AM
and to add or dispel some rumours - have a look at who the original hardware was meant for http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showpost.php?p=324508&postcount=95

Phil
11-05-2008, 10:28 AM
How do you order this.
Phil

toyos
11-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Did anyone get it with this alt-azimuth mount with built-in GOTO system + GPS mount that they were offering for USD480?

They said it would take a 6" refractor, but I was under the impression that they'd say anything to make a sale.

h0ughy
11-05-2008, 05:13 PM
no

prova
15-05-2008, 11:16 AM
still awaiting a 'knock' at the door from the courier but in the meantime, it looks as if this scope is receiving good initial reports.

the APO is labeled Astro-Tech in the US and here's some comments from new owners over there -

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2356481/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/9/vc/1

h0ughy
15-05-2008, 11:34 AM
20 days remember..... ;)

Starkler
15-05-2008, 01:29 PM
My Vixen ed115s is an ed doublet and according to these pics (http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/attachments/2395522-CA_test.jpg) .....posted here (http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2356481/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/9/vc/1) its clearly bests the 127mm scope in question for CA and yet finding an interested buyer was asking the impossible :shrug:

Goes to show that a quality well designed doublet easily beats a lesser triplet :P

Another quote from the above source..

It would appear that triplet vs doublet doesn't automatically mean better colour performance.
He later says..

So it matched or bettered the Orion? It would appear only those virtues expected with a greater aperture. Lesser "snap to focus" would concern me. My impression after reading the CN thread is that you are getting a Chinese scope with Chinese quality optics at a budget price. It sounds like reasonable value for money, but a Vixen, tak, or even Orion it aint.

Astrod00d
15-05-2008, 07:56 PM
I notice that MyAstroShop have reduced their 127ED to $2990
http://www.myastroshop.com.au/products/details.asp?id=MAS-430

Still a long way off the approx. $1200 it costs to order direct but it's a step in the right direction...

Edit:
To be fair, based on comments elsewhere, the two scopes may not have the same optics. Allan has certainly had great results from his locally purchased 127ED. Better, I think, than the results shown on Cloudynights. The difference could be in the quality of the optics and/or the skill of the operator. We'll find out in about 3 weeks when the imports arrive I guess!

monoxide
15-05-2008, 07:58 PM
secrets cant stay secret forever :D

h0ughy
19-05-2008, 11:15 AM
This is what is currently being offered in Europe, look familiar?

http://osdv.de.dd17216.kasserver.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=138&language=en

http://www.meade.uk.com/meadeedapochroma.html

with a street price of 1499 euros (about 2450 AUD) makes our little purchase brilliant saving well over $1250 AUD on the scope and case.

Once again I can only hope that they perform:shrug:

PCH
19-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Hi Guys,

No-one seems to have replied to this yet. There may be some people interested in getting one of these once we have some feedback. Anyone care to enlighten us on how to order them ;)

Cheers,

h0ughy
19-05-2008, 11:59 AM
OK this is the contact for North group, Gilman Zhang.

gilman@northgroup.cn

http://njnorth.en.alibaba.com/product/200018071/52381997/astronomical_telescope_and_accessor ies/127mm_ed_apo_telescope/showimg.html

Astrod00d
19-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Well since you asked...
This thread introduces the product and vendor in China:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=31263
And I think this is the link to the vendor:
http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/northgroup/product-detailvqPQpyGVXzhK/China-127mm-ED-Apo-Telescope.html

The deal is, you send them an email, get a quote including freight, insurance and surcharge, the whole thing comes to around USD1110.
Send 'em cash in advance, then wait for delivery 25 to 40 days.

Dunno what happens if a) the goods don't arrive or b) the goods are faulty. We'll find out in a few weeks! Don't expect consumer protection such as we're entitled to from a local vendor. :lol: Generally speaking, 'the better the deal, the higher the risk!'

Yes!! I've ordered one! ;) And I hope it lives up to the hype!

Cheers,

Rob

JohnH
19-05-2008, 12:45 PM
I think I have just seen the same unit in the window at a shop on the N.Shore...local price $3,300....so

h0ughy
19-05-2008, 01:08 PM
where? who? and of course How, but no need to answer that bit.......:whistle:

TrevorW
19-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Remember the Chinese government shoots business professionals who are unscrupulous so if they don't meet expectations talk to the Chinese Embassy

h0ughy
19-05-2008, 02:23 PM
thats a bit stiff???

seeker372011
19-05-2008, 06:04 PM
i dont want anyone shot I just want you early adopters to report the scope is here and it performs brilliantly so I can get one too :)

PCH
19-05-2008, 08:14 PM
hOughy and AstrodOOd,

thanks for the ordering info. We can't wait to hear the reports. I've emailed Gilman for a quote just now.

Cheers :thumbsup:

prova
22-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Been advised by the supplier that my unit is due for delivery by the end of the month .. hasn't been sent yet but they will send the tracking no. once it has

netwolf
22-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Astro-Tech on the CN forums apparently have run out of stock and are indicating there maybe no further supply of these units from there source. I think though i did see two used ones for sale, one an AT version being sold on CN shop and swap forums. And there was another one similar to the AT being sold on CN Clasifieds and it indicated location is in Australia. I have not found the add again but worth a look if you want it. Seems someone is selling ther's. Perhaps a Protostar version, the price was ~1500.

prova
22-05-2008, 12:21 PM
I may actually look at selling mine as I have another scope coming (different purpose) and might stick with that, if anyone is interested in the first brand new APO-triplet, feel free to send a PM and we can work out a fair price.

cheers

prova
22-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Item now Pre-sold.

I'm sure the new owner will give a first light report.

netwolf
22-05-2008, 05:03 PM
That was a quick sale ;)

h0ughy
29-05-2008, 09:24 AM
well I got an email stating that it will be sent next week! anyone else received theirs or got a similar email?

prova
29-05-2008, 09:28 AM
Yep, mine was the first ordered (from IIS anyways) and the supplier advises it will be sent next week and he will send a tracking number ..

Terry B
29-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Not yet but I'm at work and haven't seen todays email for home.

bluescope
29-05-2008, 03:33 PM
I hope this doesn't go pear shaped for everyone .... mainly because if it all goes well and the scope is good I've already got the dough ... then they will probably have sold out or something.

I agree with some of the comments made by Gary Beal regarding PayPal having bought a fair bit off eBay ... the main criteria there is to check the feedback on the seller and see if other customers have had any bad experiences etc. A bit different to this situation.

FINGERS CROSSED !

:thumbsup:

Astrod00d
29-05-2008, 03:47 PM
I got an email last week saying the 127ED would be sent 'before the end of the month'.
...But they didn't say which month... :rofl:

Cheers,

Rob

h0ughy
29-05-2008, 05:39 PM
So did you get the Quote? How much are they going for Now? The same or dearer?:shrug:

PCH
29-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Hi HOughy,

from the figures that were being placed round this forum, the new figures seemed to be much much cheaper...........

Ha - gotcha. :D Only joking ;) In fact the same set of items came to exactly the same US$1140 ish.

I'm desparately waiting for one of the first four to turn up and get first light. I really hope they live up to all our expectations.

Cheers,

h0ughy
29-05-2008, 08:59 PM
ok i nearly choked:P

philj6970
31-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Hi to all watching this thread,

I am in the process of spending some $ on a new telescope and mount and came across this thread. If the kit is definitely the same gear as http://ghonis2.ho8.com/astrotech127mm.html which it looks like it is, then I will be buying one too. Could I ask the advice of the forum members, would I be better getting an erecting finderscope or non-erecting?

Prior to finding this thread I was going to buy a Skywatcher 100mm APO, or maybe an 80 if my wife spends my money before I get it. :sadeyes:

I have emailed for a quote (got one, US$1100 inc delivery & paypal fee) and I should be getting a pro-forma invoice email next week. Cant wait. :D

Phil.

philj6970
01-06-2008, 09:10 AM
I just received an email from Gilman in reply to a question of what the US$815.00 covers,:

USD815 covers :
127mm ED APO/apochromatic refractor telescope OTA (tube)
tube rings/dovetail rail.
Aluminiun case.

I mistakenly thought the finder, diagonal and 2 eyepieces were included.

So my last post quoting AU$1100 was off the mark by about AU$150, for the finderscope, Diagonal and two eyepieces. I have specced up the better erecting finderscope (US$50) and the dielectric diagonal (US$55) though, or it would have only been another AU$100 on top.
I have also put a 2" 2x barlow on my shopping list for a total of US$1281.

My order would be in already but I have to wait for some $$ to appear.:(

h0ughy
01-06-2008, 09:22 AM
well i will post this again as this was what i ordered

"Dear David Hough,

Thank you for your mail.

our ED APO127, f=952mm,

with dual speed adjust focus,

8x50 illuminating reticle finder scope,

2" 99% dielectric diagonal,

1.25" WA10mm/WA20mm,

aluminimu case,

FOB China USD850/set

the postage is about USD210,

if you buy a pc, you need pay USD50 as additional handle charge.

if add altaz mount with built-in goto system, GPS, steel tubular tripod,

add USD500/set,

Thanks

Gilman"

so is the differece of 35 USD the fact you do not get the diagonal, two EP's and a illuminated 50mm finderscope????? Now I am starting to worry:(. Our scopes are due here in a week or so (according to Mr Gilman). My invoice does state that these items are included?

gbeal
01-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Thats what I found disconcerting about all this, the goal posts kept shifting.
I'm sure all will be fine, but............
Gary

toyos
01-06-2008, 10:00 AM
This is what he said to me:

our ED APO127, f=952mm,
with dual speed adjust focus,
8x50 illuminating reticle finder scope,
2" 99% dielectric diagonal,
1.25" WA10mm/WA20mm,
aluminimu case,

FOB China USD810/set

if add altaz mount with built-in goto system, GPS, steel tubular tripod,
add USD500/set,

sea freight is about USD60

Thanks

Gilman

I didn't place an order though. I wasn't convinced. I've also grown tired of the inconsistency (incl. Quality Control) of dealing with unknown manufacturers or distributors (who claim to be the manufacturers) from China. The well-known ones will only deal with their official distributors, naturally.

Anyway, let's hope for the best. It should be fine.

philj6970
01-06-2008, 10:13 AM
The way we are all going to find out is by waiting for someone to get their scope delivered.

By the way the web page http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/northgroup/product-detailvqPQpyGVXzhK/China-127mm-ED-Apo-Telescope.html for the scope is laid out, it looks like you get everything above the " Optional accessories for our 127mm ED Apo Telescope: " line. That would make the deal include the EP's, diagonal and finder. The picture shows these items laid out with the package.

Why list the accessories unless they are included.

My first email from Gilman:
-------------------------------------------------------
Dear Phillip Jefferies

Thank you for your mail.
our ED 127 with dual speed focuser, OTA,
with aluminium case package,
USD815

our ED102 with dual speed focuser, OTA,
USD660

our ED80 with dual speed focuser, OTA,
USD360

other accessories as follows :
normal 2" diagonal, USD20
high reflex 2" dielectric diagonal,USD55
8x50 finder scope with illuminating reticle, USD25
8x50 finder scope erected image, with illuminating reticle, USD50
WA10mm, USD20
WA15mm, USD21
ED2.3mm, USD29
ED3.8mm, USD29
ED5.2mm, USD30
ED7.5mm, USD31
ED9.5mm, USD32
ED12.5mm, USD32
ED14mm, USD33
ED18mm, USD33
ED21mm, USD34
ED25mm, USD34
1.25"/31.7mm, 1.5x, ED Barlow Lens, Multi Coated, USD28
2"/50.8mm, 2x, ED Barlow Lens, Multi Coated, USD35
ED80 small altaz mount with goto system & tripod, USD210
ED102, ED127 big altaz mount with goto system & GPS & tripod & aluminium case, USD450

meanwhile, we also have 10inch reflector telescope with parabolic primary mirror, USD505,
4inch Maksutov telescope, USD120.

please give us your requried list, we will make proforma invoice for you,
if you pay USD to us via paypal, you need add USD85 as additional charge, (USD45 is paypal charge, USD40 is the charge from paypal to our bank),
the postage via EMS express is about USD200 to you home or office without any additional charge.
delivery time is about USD20 days after your payment.

Thanks a lot.

Gilman Zhang
___________________________________ _____________

Second email:
-------------------------------------------------------
Dear Phillip Jefferies.

Thank you for your reply.
please see our reply as follows :
----- Original Message ----- From: <queenslandradar-scope@yahoo.com (http://au.mc509.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=queenslandradar-scope@yahoo.com)>
To: <gilman@northgroup.cn (http://au.mc509.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=gilman@northgroup.cn)>
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2008 2:58 PM
Subject: Re:quote ED APO from North Group

Thankyou for your fast reply.

The telescope package I would like is:

127mm ED APO/apochromatic refractor telescope,

With the included accessories as listed on the page: (are these included in the USD$815?)

USD815 covers :
127mm ED APO/apochromatic refractor telescope OTA (tube)
Aluminiun case.

other accessories are optional, please see our quotation last mail.

8x50 illumintating reticle finder scope.
2inch/50.8mm focuser tube and 2 inch/50.8mm 99% dielectric diagonal,
70 degree super wide angle eyepieces/WA10mm/WA15mm,
Dual speed adjusting focuser,
Aluminiun case.

Could you please swap the included illuminated reticle finder scope for the illuminated reticle erecting finder scope and I will pay the $25 price difference?

no problem.

How long is your proforma invoice valid for, as I am awaiting the funds at the moment.

7 days, or a week.

Thanks,

Phillip Jefferies.
--------------------------------------------------

The blue text is Gilman's reply to my email, the black text.

It looks like he has said ok to upgrading the finderscope, so it must be included?

Confused :doh: wait and see whats in the post, I cant send my money off for a couple of weeks anyway.

Phil.

ghonis
02-06-2008, 01:02 AM
I think you guys will enjoy the 127mm triplet when you get it in your hands. I have been able to use mine now both visually and for imaging and am very satisfied. I bought the scope mainly for imaging because I needed something around 1000mm. An added plus is that I can use a Celestron f/6.3 reducer with the scope for faster imaging. I posted latest imaging results with the scope and the reducer here:

http://ghonis2.ho8.com/0525to052908modXSi.html

Gary Honis

h0ughy
02-06-2008, 11:29 AM
One can only hope that it performs like that!!!

netwolf
02-06-2008, 05:57 PM
I asked Gilman for some details on the optics and its quality. He advised me the following.

I am attaching the picture sent to me. The details dont mean much to me, I hopping some one can tell us what they mean. I have rotated and resized so it meets size limits of IIS.

BTW I was quoted 850USD which includes

Regards
Fahim

Terry B
02-06-2008, 07:24 PM
I received an email on Sat saying that my tube is ready but the box isn't. He hopes to have it finished this week. We live in hope!:thumbsup:

casstony
02-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Regarding the optics test in Fahims post, according to my very limited understanding, 1/6 wave peak to valley and 1/40 wave RMS are very good numbers, but the results only apply to the wavelength tested. Other colors/wavelengths may test differently. There is much less information in this test than the test referred to in the other thread on this scope.

chaom1
03-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Hello

I am about to order from the same chinse supplier also.
But since im a beginner in astronomy I have some questions about his other telescopes.

Im interested in MAC:
http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/northgroup/product-detailsMPQYEAUvLWS/China-Maksutov-Cassegrain-Telescope.html

8inch Maksutov, f=2500mm,
USD870 (full of metal part)

If I buy 8" inch one, can I see lets say saturn better than with ed127 refractor I asked him and he said:

8inch Maksutov is better than 10inch parabolic reflector if you observe planet,
10inch parabolic reflector is better than 8inch Maksutov if you observe nebula in the deep sky, without any chromatic aberration,
ED127 is better than reflector, Maksutov, if you observe objects on the land besides sky observe.

He also reccomenced me cheap 4" MAC, costs only 120$ (MC1400x102EQ7/AT3 is a kind of Maksutov telescope for beginner,
it is very small and not expensive, USD120)

So can someone please explain to a beginner which one to choose?
(and sorry that I have not been able to learn and read enough to know this all.. the interest to astronomy came recently to me)

With best regards:
Heiko

Astrod00d
03-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Welcome Heiko!

Gilman gave you good advice.

If you want to view planets, a long focal length is good, meaning the 200mm Mak would be a good choice. But, the Mak will have a narrow field of view and would not be so good for large deep-space objects like the Orion Nebula.
The 10-inch reflector will be good for deep-space and OK for planets if you use a barlow lens, basically it will do everything, but it is very large to carry around.
The ED127 will be very good for deep space. Not sure about planets at high magnification, you may get false colour (chromatic aberration) around the edges of bright planets. I will report when mine arrives :)

The 4" Mak? Maybe a bit small, however a very lightweight user-friendly scope for a beginner. Very similar to the Meade ETX90 I guess?

Cheers,

Rob

chaom1
07-06-2008, 11:08 PM
hi

Thank you very much for the answer.

I wanna order 8" maksutov, ed127, 10" newtonian and 2xmak 4" from him.

now i wanna know what kind of extra parts should i get..
have to ask him

Ian Robinson
08-06-2008, 01:21 AM
The 4" Mak would make a great guidescope (cheap too).

I'm impressed with the prices on the 127mm APOs , would be nice if they added a field flatterner / telecompressor to suit their APOs .... I'll watch that website and see what happens.

Advice would depend on what you are interested in doing with the telescope when you have it.

chaom1
08-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Actually maybe I ask from you guys, what kind of essential parts should I get with these telescopes:
8" maksutov
4" maksutov
ed127
10" newtonian

what kind of eyepierces and so on, what is essential to have with these scopes?

regards
(learning beginner)

csb
08-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Chaom, it would probably be good for you to buy only 1 telescope.

You have much to learn because you are just starting. Learning to use 1 telescope and accessories (essential parts) will keep you busy.

After learning about your telescope, you will be able to decide to get another telescope or not AND you will be able to make a more informed choice.

Buying 4 telescopes together will make learning very complicated and confusing.

The people who have many telescopes have bought them over a period of time.

So if you do buy just 1 telescope, then consider the size AND weight.

10" newtonian is big and heavy - needs heavy duty mount.
8" mak / ED127 medium size and weight.

So mak or ED will be easier to move. Will you keep the telescope in your house?

I started with a 6" newt, after 1 year I sold it and bought a 6" sct. Then sold the sct and I now have a 120" refractor that I like better than the newt/sct.

As I learned about telescopes, astronomy AND what sky objects I liked to look at, I could decide what equipment would suit me.

So be patient or you may be selling a lot of used equipment.

wavelandscott
08-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Good advice...and may I add most likely selling at a significant discount too

chaom1
09-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Hey I found this place:
http://www.sunshine-optics.com/

They say they have made telescopes for medea before. Found also by madi-in-china.com
I asked about 6" maksutov, and their price is 330, but gilmans price was 250.
I dont know ofcourse is the the same model.

What do you think about this page?

and thanks for advices before.

toyos
09-06-2008, 07:32 PM
They're not the manufacturer, only one of the ubiquitous distributors including Gilman.The scopes are made by JOC http://www.joctech.com/www/index.html (http://www.joctech.com)

chaom1
10-06-2008, 12:01 PM
and can we order directly from there? :o

csb
10-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Chaom, this thread is about purchasing the APO and we have gone OT. So perhaps you should start another thread in the Beginners Forum. You will then also get more responses.

Regards

allan gould
10-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Anyone got their scope through this supplier yet?

h0ughy
10-06-2008, 10:26 PM
:sadeyes: no not yet

h0ughy
13-06-2008, 03:09 PM
update - mine has just been sent

allan gould
13-06-2008, 03:16 PM
David
Interestingly page 11 of the new AST has the scope from Astro Optical supplies and listed at $2989 with the same accessories listed as the Astromaster scope.
Be interesting to see some comparative shots between yours and mine - as I have some suspicions as to the glass used for the price quoted.
Regards, Allan

casstony
13-06-2008, 03:51 PM
The sample of this lens tested in Germany indicated that the best spherical correction was in the red wavelengths. If someone has the opportunity to test at high power I'm curious whether you can notice a sharper high power image using a red filter? Certainly bargain basement prices mentioned in this thread in any case.

prova
13-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Just been advised that my order has been sent via EMS, I expect it this coming week

Terry B
13-06-2008, 07:57 PM
I have also received notification that mine has been sent.:thumbsup:

Alchemy
14-06-2008, 08:00 AM
been watching with interest... my opinion is you always get what you pay for, so i hope an image or two is posted (through the scope), i want to see if it is really APO.at 1200 dollars vs several times that for the televue 127 i dont think its performance is going to really turn heads at the higher end of town...... be nice if i am wrong..... i could buy one too.

chaom1
15-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Hey

Did you pay to this account for your telescope:

Bank's name & Address: HSBC, 1 Queen's Road Central, Hong Kong
BENEF. Name : ZHANG XIN
A/C NO. : 534-711163-833
SWIFT CODE : HSBC HKHHHKH

I have one other contact from china, and he was very suprised that why does he want the money to a personal account. "ZHANG XIN" here.
Anyway, I hope all is ok and you recieve the telescope, think I have to wait now..

h0ughy
16-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Your item was released from Customs(COMMENWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA SYDNEY EMS) at 2008-06-16 16:19:00

Timing Site Status
  2008-06-13 13:03:00 NANJING Posting
  2008-06-13 19:35:20 NANJING Arrival at Sorting Center
  2008-06-13 19:53:36 NANJING Despatch from Sorting Center
  2008-06-13 20:24:57 NANJING Despatch from Sorting Center
  2008-06-14 13:09:50 SHANGHAI Arrival at Sorting Center
  2008-06-14 20:24:52 SHANGHAI Despatch from Sorting Center
  2008-06-16 12:52:00 COMMENWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA SYDNEY EMS Arrival at Sorting Center
  2008-06-16 12:52:00 COMMENWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA SYDNEY EMS Handed over to Customs
  2008-06-16 16:19:00 COMMENWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA SYDNEY EMS Released from Customs

not long now:whistle:

[1ponders]
16-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Hey Dave, I think they got the address wrong. I had a long skinny parcel turn up this afternoon that I didn't order. Works a treat though ;)

h0ughy
16-06-2008, 10:28 PM
:P;)

[1ponders]
16-06-2008, 10:30 PM
:lol: :P I'll keep it warm for Ducka ;)

alan meehan
16-06-2008, 10:43 PM
GUESS who gets to see this first:whistle:

GTB_an_Owl
16-06-2008, 10:47 PM
i know how he is going to smuggle it home Alan :whistle:

geoff

Terry B
16-06-2008, 11:02 PM
No, I payed via a paypal account.

alan meehan
16-06-2008, 11:04 PM
houghdini.......master illusionist,:innocent:

Terry B
16-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Your item was released from Customs(COMMENWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA SYDNEY EMS) at 2008-06-16 17:18:00

Mine must be behind yours:)

RB
17-06-2008, 12:10 AM
:rofl:
"Watch him get out of his wife's handcaffs.............unscathed...."

:camera: :astron: :camera: :argue: :astron: :camera: :astron:

prova
17-06-2008, 10:40 AM
APO has arrived - Delivery confirmed!

*pic to follow shortly*

prova
17-06-2008, 10:55 AM
You saw it here first!

Upto the new owner if he wants me to open it and take some detailed pics or wait ..

allan gould
17-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Customs may be suspicious with all these identical shipments from the same source. Hmmmmmm

gbeal
17-06-2008, 11:09 AM
If I was selling this like you seem to be, I'd definitely be opening it and making sure you were sending what the future owner thinks he/she is receiving.

prova
17-06-2008, 11:15 AM
That's why the option is left to the new owner, we'll most likely open it here together.

h0ughy
17-06-2008, 12:09 PM
well mine arrived, have to open it later

koputai
17-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Pretty close on their 40 day estimate too!!

Come on, open it, open it !!

Cheers,
Jason.

Tandum
17-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Did they hit you up for duty and/or GST at the border?

prova
17-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Few crappy pics.

madtuna
17-06-2008, 01:28 PM
bout damn time!!! been sitting here hitting the refresh button for the last 1/2 hour..wore a flat spot on my refresh finger.

Terry B
17-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Mine isn't here yet.:sadeyes:

h0ughy
17-06-2008, 01:49 PM
OK I couldnt help myself. This scope is just amazing on first glance. Blown me away - so far. The eyepieces look like the meade series 4000, the colour highlighting is the meade blue. I am stoked. It is top heavy for some reason LOL. The case is well made and sturdy. Mate for the $1130US I paid it is an absolute bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bring on the clear skies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

h0ughy
17-06-2008, 01:51 PM
and these

h0ughy
17-06-2008, 01:57 PM
and these:D

allan gould
17-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Slight differences between yours and mine so far David. My spotting scope is all aluminium with no paint. Anodised black ends. Reticule is graduated with central circle at the meeting of the cross-hairs. The diagonal is an anodised Meade blue. Also the draw tube is not anodised but straight aluminium.
Brings a rush of blood to the head when you open that case.
Allan

renormalised
17-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Now all we need to see is some piccies from the beast, and we'll then see just how good it is....and how many others will buy one!!!:D:D

kwkee
17-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Hi allan,

Was yours one of the earliest batches? Or is it the AstroTech 127?

kwkee
17-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Top heavy is not a bad thing. After adding the diagonal, eyepieces, cameras, etc, it will be just nice.

allan gould
17-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Neither
Its a Prostar from Myastroshop. Do a search using dream scope and allan gould in this forum for photos. Looks more like the Astrotec 127mm than anything else - but there are differences.
David those eyepieces are an absolute dead ringer for the Meade 4000 series eyepieces. Now you now why these are being sold in Europe as Meade scopes.

chaom1
17-06-2008, 04:22 PM
wow very good that you all recieved the scopes.
Gonna transfer the money right now, want it too :>

h0ughy
17-06-2008, 04:34 PM
one thing I will say - it was nicely packed and was in two cartons, one inside the other, the scope was wrapped as too every other piece. that may be the difference between the bog standard scope and one spec-ed up for myastroshop Allan, and yes they look remarkably like Meade series 4000 - LOl i have a 15mm and 26mm Meade EP looking at their chinese cousins

g__day
17-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Hot damn it looks good! Like everyone else waiting to see how this scope performs. If it lives up to expectations it be a hot seller!

kwkee
17-06-2008, 05:24 PM
First light, first light report please! Point it on a light pole, roof top, anything! Tell us how it performs!! :P

How do you find the mechanics? Focuser good? :P

gregbradley
17-06-2008, 05:30 PM
That is amazing value for money.

Does it have an FPL53 element?

Greg.

Phil
17-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Looks nice guys my has been released from Customs too. I guess it will turn up in the next couple of days.
Phil

acropolite
17-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Damn, a spending frenzy and I'm out in the cold. Dave, if you need an alibi you can say I loaned it to you, after all it's the least I could do after you loaned me an Eq6....:rofl:

bluescope
17-06-2008, 08:39 PM
I hope you guys have clear skies over there to do some tests and get them posted .... I'm waiting with loaded bank account :D

seeker372011
17-06-2008, 08:44 PM
congratulations fellows

looks like you have scored a try...now we eagerly wait for first light ..is it going to be a converted try?

bluescope
17-06-2008, 09:10 PM
I hope you guys have clear skies over there to do some tests and get them posted .... I'm waiting with loaded bank account :thumbsup:

Nuri
17-06-2008, 09:14 PM
me to!

FlashDrive
17-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Oh WOW..!!!!!!! That is just beautiful...Slobbler..!!!!! Slobber...!!! Drooling...Drooling...! Tongue hanging down on the floor stuff. I have told SANTA that I will be a really good boy this year and I WANT ONE in my Christmas Stocking......No seriously, that is really one nice bit of kit there. Waiting on a test report guys.....:eyepop:

h0ughy
17-06-2008, 09:45 PM
fpl 51

h0ughy
17-06-2008, 09:54 PM
its cloudy tonight , then i am in sydney on a training course until friday night. lets hope saturday:sadeyes::thumbsup:

h0ughy
17-06-2008, 10:01 PM
sure:rofl::rofl:

Terry B
18-06-2008, 11:27 AM
it's Here!!!!!!!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

allan gould
18-06-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm absolutley hanging out to see some photos taken with these scopes to compare with those taken with mine. Perhaps we could do photos of the same object with the same equipment to make a direct comparison.

h0ughy
18-06-2008, 12:15 PM
might not be exactly the same equipment but i will be using the 20D i recently got on it, on a eq6. What did you image again Allan? i remember Eta...... BUT I WANT SOME CLEAR SKIES:sadeyes:

h0ughy
18-06-2008, 12:16 PM
LOL I hope you like your sample:rofl::whistle:;):thumbsup: :thumbsup:

h0ughy
18-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Unbelievable this thread has been hit over 5000 times – LOL love to see how many its been over the past 24 hours

kwkee
18-06-2008, 12:27 PM
haha, the vendor did great there.......declaring only US$160!

kwkee
18-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Before you do your first light, can tell us how you find the mechanics?

koputai
18-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I notice there 4,426 members here now, I wonder what price the manufacturer would do on that volume? Seems just about everyone wants one!

Cheers,
Jason.

allan gould
18-06-2008, 01:03 PM
I have a 20D or a 350D that I can use on a HEQ5-Pro. Should be very similar but would have to agree on the number of shots to stack, ISO level, length of exposure and processing ie ICNR or dark subtraction and stacking using say DSS. Then no levels adjust or adjust to same in PS would give a good idea of colour and other aberations. Photo taken through scope with no flattener, filters etc.
Should be interesting as when all is said and done its the final photo that counts.

kwkee
18-06-2008, 01:23 PM
but would the sky condition be the same?

casstony
18-06-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm looking for a suitable scope for a relative:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO3iUYnQeSE

marki
18-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Looks identical to my meade series 5000 80 except much bigger and you have two knobs on the collimation flange not one. If the optics are similar you are in for a treat :). The diagonal is even the same as the series 5000 one that came with my scope except its not blue.

JohnH
19-06-2008, 03:20 PM
OK I have the beast :) - and will use a 20D for imaging through it at the earliest opp, it will ride on my SXW mount for now. I hope to give it first light this w/e. I cannot do so now as I am at work and the chances for tonight look very poor (8/8 cloud, rain). Sorry guys!

And thanks to Prova...

seeker372011
23-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Ok the deed is done

its going to be shipped this week-5 day turnaround folks, not 40 days anymore

narayan

Phil
23-06-2008, 07:02 PM
I think this guy selling these will be happy with all the orders coming for Oz.
Phil

toyos
23-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Also keep in mind that there are quite a number of other distributors of this scope in China. They all (including Gilman) get it from the same manufacturer (JOC).

TrevorW
23-06-2008, 08:47 PM
My original post and the subsequent links too this APO have generated 10,652 hits since the 29/5. Let's see if I can find something else interesting and inspiring. I hope all those that have purchased these scopes live long and prosper !!!

:ship2:

Astrod00d
24-06-2008, 10:13 AM
I wondered when you would crack! :lol:
The images posted by other owners look good. I'll be testing mine this evening.

Cheers,

Rob

prova
24-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Have i hit any records by starting this thread!?

:lol:

h0ughy
02-07-2008, 07:52 AM
OK need some help here - I am at work but I need to know the diameter of the lens cap of the 127 APO. Is anyone in a position that they can measure theirs this morning? (measure the circumference)

RB
02-07-2008, 10:05 AM
What are you getting for it now Houghy, new shades? :whistle: :lol:

Do you need the exact diameter or just close enough will do?
I'd say it's around 180mm or 7" but that's approx, going off my scope lens cap.

xstream
02-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Hmmm, I can see a solar filter happening here or maybe a dew shield! ;)

Omaroo
02-07-2008, 01:03 PM
I hope that's the diameter Andrew, and not the circumference! :whistle:

RB
02-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Blah what's the difference?

:lol:

h0ughy
03-07-2008, 07:47 AM
Ok I got really technical. I used one of my photos I took of the APO face on. If this beast really had 127mm optics then it should measure that, so in the monitor I got my ruler out and measured the on screen of the optical area – them to the out side of the dew shield and worked out what it was – I got 159mm. But then I thought I probably stuffed it up, so I waited till I got home. Then borrowed the wife’s dressmaking tape measure and measured the circumference – 495mm which then gave me a diameter of 157.5mm, so my rough method was not far out.

I ordered a AstroHandy Accessories' FlatMaster CCD Lightring Model Meade 127mm APO. I am really hoping it gets here before we leave to go to Astrofest………..

allan gould
03-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Yeah, I've got one of those - its called a white T shirt.

h0ughy
03-07-2008, 09:04 AM
but you cant take flats at night - i will be able to do that after each target:whistle:

besides I hadto spend my income from http://www.astrovisuals.com.au that i got for my image being used for 2009 calender......:whistle::D;)

allan gould
03-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Excellent - then we all can use it at astrofest and just pass it around at night. Makes sense to me:whistle::whistle:

h0ughy
03-07-2008, 10:14 AM
sure thing;):P:whistle:

RB
03-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Sorry to go off topic but just a quick question Houghy - do you need to order these FlatMaster units to the exact diameter of the scope or can you order a larger one to accommodate various scope sizes (within reason of course) ?

[1ponders]
03-07-2008, 10:42 AM
You might be better off talking to the salesman (http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/82913994) Andrew. :lol:

h0ughy
03-07-2008, 11:15 AM
yes you can get them made for a larger scope then get chokes or adapters for smaller scopes. they are $50 extra each, so if you go for a 10" then have a c8 and an ed80 you could do the lot from 1 box in theory. no never spoke to the salesman - had my eye on these for some time and with the A$ being high I decided to strike:D while I could. I can see a defiite advantage to this product, and since i have no skils whatsoever to make something like this it is at the right price:lol::scared:.

seeker372011
04-07-2008, 09:19 PM
my fellow ed127 owners:

Rob has found that he cant use the supplied dovetail in his EQ6..I have seen what he has done...what solution have others found?

my scope arrived Tuesday BTW which explains the weather and hasn't seen first light..no 40 days wait anymore folks-under two weeks to actually arrive and 5 of those days included a weekend and a couple of days after customs clearance in australia

boy its front end loaded..surprised me even though someone -Houghy ?- did mention it in one of these threads-but even looking for that it caught me by surprise
narayan

Benjamin B
07-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Hi all!

I´m new here but I have visit the forum several times before.
I have read with great interest this thread and I like the idea of owning a 5" apo. I have a 3" apo today, a TMB 80/480 super apo. Not sure if there is a great step from 3 to 5". I do not observe in dark areas, more "garden places"

Is there any one out there that could take some pictures of the scope when holding it? It´s difficult to see if how large the scope is.
Thanks!

seeker372011
07-07-2008, 08:59 PM
welcome Benjamin to IIS.

To answer your question

Its BIG. and very heavy..dont have a picture handy but will see if I can get a pic when I next take the scope out
the 80 mm is simply dwarfed

what mount did you have in mind? you would need something beefy

Benjamin B
07-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Hi, and thanks for quick reply!
I have a Losmandy G11.

h0ughy
07-07-2008, 10:18 PM

no problems easily handle it:thumbsup:

Benjamin B
12-07-2008, 12:38 AM
Hi all

I´m really thinking of buying this scope. But how is the quality? I don´t do CCD. I do have a canon 400D that I take images of the sun and moon. My mayer plan is for visual. I have today my TMB super apo 80/480 that is really nice, but I want more aperture. Not sure if 127mm will fill thay gap, but I´m really curiuse of this scope. Sure, the focuser is not FT nore Moonlite, but that can be fixed. How is the optics?, mecanics? I had a Takahashi before I bought my TMB and sure, In my opinion the Takahashi is better on the mecanics, like paint job. I have read on fourums that the Takahashi FS series is not an apo, rediculus in my opinion, but the opinion on a scope is very subjective. So, tell me, will I get dissapointed if I buy this scope?
Some says that the Chines scope is note "near" the top scopes out there, but what exacly are you comparing to?

Regards,
Benjamin

seeker372011
12-07-2008, 08:09 AM
benjamin, I havent yet looked through my own scope yet so I can hardly speak with authority..but there are examples on this site of images taken with this scope
no its not I'd imagine a Tak..some say not even an Eon

see this thread in Cloudy Nights for a discussion that finally resulted in a locked thread as tempers flared-people seem to get emotionally attached to a hunk of metal and glass :)

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2467133/page/6/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

seeker372011
27-07-2008, 09:53 PM
here's a picture of the one and only tine I have taken the scope out..and it clouded over before I could do anything like actually look through the scope...

Benjamin B
28-07-2008, 02:36 AM
Thanks!!!!

I really like this 5" apo!