PDA

View Full Version here: : HEADS UP - Skywatcher 12" DOBS $599

Screwdriverone
05-05-2008, 12:40 AM
Hi All,

Just browsing around as I usually do and found here (http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-content-section-10-skywatcher.htm#accessories) a special on Skywatcher Dobs for $599 for a 12 INCH version! HOT DAMN!

The 8" is only $349 and the 10" version is only $399 too!

I know it doesnt have all the bits and pieces of a GSO version like 10:1 fine focusing but the 12" does have a crayford focuser. Anyway, the Super Deluxe GSO version isnt a Skywatcher and it costs $749! You can get the 12" GSO DOB for the same price with pretty much the same featuers as the Skywatcher, I know which one I would buy....even though my current scope is being looked at. hee hee!
Even so, it COMES WITH A 5 yr warranty! :eyepop:AND FREE FREIGHT AUST WIDE!

I thought people might like to know as I personally would hate to miss out on a bargain like this if I was in the market (and more importantly had the money for it)

Interestingly, I cant find any info on the SW980 on the Skywatcher website so maybe its a runout model?

I know there was a 10 versus 12 inch thread (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=31270)recently, maybe this adds some dimension to the conversation there. The next cheapest price I can find in AUS is $995 for this model.

Leave one for me would ya? Please?

Cheers

Chris

(written, typed and authorised by Screwdriverone for the benefit of IceInSpace members and visitors. Screwdriverone is not under contract, affiliated or in any other way monetarily incentivised to provide this information by Andrews Communications or Skywatcher Telescopes.
There, that should do it....:P)

CoombellKid
05-05-2008, 01:09 AM
That's a great price :thumbsup: I think Skywatcher have Synta mirrors in them, not
sure what the 12"ers are like but my Saxon came with an 8" Synta that has
performed well for me over the years. Been through a few cleans and still
look as new as the day I brought.

btw, thanks for the heads up, I have my eye on a 16" :D

regards,CS

toyos
05-05-2008, 07:35 AM
I've owned both a 10" Skywatcher and a 12" GSO. The GSO has better build quality and smoother overall (also made in Taiwan instead of China).

Andrews Communication is now selling the 12" GSO for $599 as well. Just picked up one 2-3 weeks ago.

Screwdriverone
05-05-2008, 08:47 AM
Hmmm, thats interesting Toyos,

Thanks for that comparison, its interesting to know the respective build quality of each, I dont think I have ever seen a GSO set up in a shop anywhere.

Cheers

Chris

g__day
05-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Andrews also has the 6" achro for $599 - not bad! Anyone looked though one of those?

"Outstanding 150mm x 1200mm achromatic air-spaced adjustable doublet cell refractor boasts 4-layer multi-coated lenses!Complete OTA only A$599"

But the best deal is in the used and surplus:

Celestron C11-SGT package $1899 (normally around $4,700)!

AstralTraveller
05-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Yes I have one. I'm quite happy with the image quality but last Saturday the focusser drove me nuts. It's always had a bit of image shift when changing direction but that night it was awful. I just couldn't get the adjustment right so that it wouldn't slop about but the moto-focus could still move it (yes the battery is new). I'll be looking into that issue very soon :bashcomp:.

Anyway, back to the image quality. Coming from reflectors I found the colour a bit intrusive on bright objects, though I know others don't find it an issue. I now have the Baader fringekiller in the front of the diagonal all the time, except when using the UHC filter. I compared it to a 25cm GSO on Saturn the other month and it more than held its own - I know that probably says more about the reflector than it does about the refractor, but you can't have short ratio scopes without big secondaries and some loss of contrast. Of course it suffers on DSO due to the small aperture, but at least it's fairly contrasty. Probably the thing I like most about it is the ability to get good wide-field views. With my 1rpd 30mm eyepiece I get a 2 degree fov with sharp stars to near the edge.

toyos
05-05-2008, 10:53 PM
I bought that 6" refractor OTA from Skywatcher last week. I'm quite happy with it considering that I only paid $599 for it. Definitely great value for money. The focuser isn't silky smooth but the build quality and optics are good for a 6" achromatic refractor in this price bracket. Omega Centauri looks clearer and way more contrasty through it than it does through my 12" dob. Keeping in mind that I live only 15km's from Sydney CBD.

Tamtarn
06-05-2008, 12:04 AM
Not sure about the 12" Skywatcher Dob, but the 10" has a Parabolic Mirror and gives far better views than the GSO 10".

If the 12" has a Parabolic Mirror it would be a great buy.

toyos
06-05-2008, 01:50 AM
I'm fairly sure most modern dobs over 8" nowadays have parabolic mirrors. By the way, Bintel badged telescopes & accessories are 100% identical to GSO's. Made by Guan Sheng in Taiwan. I guess most people know that already.

Screwdriverone
06-05-2008, 09:33 AM
According to what I can find on the Skywatcher 10" and 12" they both have "paraboloidal" mirrors and are made of Pyrex which is faster to cool and more resistant to scratching than glass. So this probably answers the question...

Chris

Scoper
06-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Any objective mirror faster than f10 needs to be figured to a parabola in cross section, a spherical mirror at f5 would suffer from severe undercorrection and would be quite unusable. I have a ten inch GSO reflector which shows excellent correction using the star test; the diffraction pattern is the same inside and outside of focus which means the mirror has been well figured to a parabolic shape. Any deviation from a parabolic figure would show up under the star test.
The term Parabolic mirror should not be used as a selling point as it should be a given in any usable reflector regardless of brand.

Malcolm

Satchmo
06-05-2008, 11:15 AM
These GSO made aftermarket focussers are a good solution . I have two 6" F8 Syntas myself.

Bintel have the replacements for $199.

PeteMo
08-05-2008, 01:11 AM
Hi Chris

Thanks for spotting this. Bloody Typical!! When something as good as this comes along I'm always skint!:(

That price is $200 cheaper than my Skywatcher 10" dob!!!
Amazing. Don't think they will last long now that the word is out! Lol

Cheers
Pete

AlexN
08-05-2008, 02:45 AM
tell me about it... i could have had a 10" for the same as i paid for my 8" only 5 weeks ago.... NOT HAPPY!! :D

hikerbob
10-05-2008, 11:44 AM
I heard about the Skywatcher at an observing night on tuesday, ordered it wednesday and found it sitting outside my front door friday afternoon when I got home. I wasn't planning on getting a new scope just yet but at that price it was to good to miss out on. The cheapest I'd been able to find was just under the $1000 with me needing to pick it up or pay delivery as well so the saving was considerable.

It all went together easily (but the instructions didn't mention installing the primary mirror. It came with a basic screwdriver, spanners and allen keys to do the construction. A couple of the holes used to mount the mirror cell were difficult to align. Packaging was great.

Initial collimation is close (but I'll need to tweek it a bit when I get game enough).

The next task will be to work out how to make some kind of travel case that's light enough to allow me to handle the telescope and case but sturdy enough to protect the scope.

True to form last night was cloudy, I did get a brief look at the moon through my 40mm eyepiece and it was stunning.

I emailed Sky-Watcher asking about the absence of the scope from their site but have not recieved a reply.

Thanks to those who've commented already on this thread.

Bob

Screwdriverone
11-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Hi Bob,

Good to hear the heads up had a buyer!

I agree the value for money / free delivery / quality of this scope is hard to go past.

I look forward to hearing more about this little (big?) ripper of a scope.

Enjoy!

Cheers

Chris

hikerbob
11-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks Chris, I've just done the colmination, that seemed to go smoothly.
A major trip to the tip today to dispose of a trailer load of cardboard.

Bob