PDA

View Full Version here: : DC connectors, which one for dob fans?

Thiink
28-07-2005, 12:05 PM
I've had enough of twisting wires as a temporary measure; does anyone know of any DC connectors available that would fit into the pre-cut whole in the bottom of the GSO dob bases for the fan connector? If anyone needs an image I can take one..

stringscope
28-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Simon,

One of the "standard" power connectors that is in common use with telescopes is the RCA connector. These are readily available from DSE/Jaycar etc. I have just measured them at 13mm in diameter. I have used them on both my dobs for fan power and dew heaters and they work well.

Cheers,

RAJAH235
28-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Simon, (www.jaycar.com.au) Have a look in the DC connectors/plugs section for a wide choice. Only 2 wires? Why not a simple 2.5 mm DC plug & chassis socket, that are made for the job? Cost u 'bout... hang on, will get #'s & prices from my cataldog...... Part #ps-0524 2.5 mm bulkhead-male @ $2.65,,, & Part #pp-0511 for the plug, @ $1.55. How's that! :D L.
ps. The 2.5 mm bulkhead requires just under a 9 mm hole for fitting.
If the original hole is too big.....Part #ps-0518 @ $1.90, is a chassis mount socket that uses 2 small screws to mount, or use 2 larger washers for the bulkhead 1.

Starkler
28-07-2005, 05:55 PM
I used RCA plugs and socket for dc distribution. They are cheap and common but there is a small risk of shorting things fumbling around in the dark.

Dave47tuc
28-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Hi Simon,
This is what i use got it at Jaycar :thumbsup:

Thiink
28-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Thanks all for the replies (Ian, L, Geoff and Dave). :)

L: The only problem with those larger bulk head type arrangements is the depth of them. There is only around 15mm max of room between the back of the mirror cell and the mirror itself, and I currently dont have the mirror all the way down (the collimation screws are not fully tightened). I could use the bulkhead and bent the pings slightly I guess. It seems as though RCA might be the go, and I can use the RCA arragement when I get my DSC's going too. Thanks for your efforts though. :)

Geoff: do you have any images of your RCA setup? I grabbed some of these (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PS0257) today from our local electronics store (ugh) because its all they had (and I think I was lucky to get them!). I might try mounting one of these on the back and see how that goes. If not I can try something else.

Dave: interesting setup! Where do you power the cigarette style attachment from? I'm using a 9v battery at the moment, but planning on upgrading that to a gelcell or similar soonish.

Thanks again everyone. :)

Dave47tuc
28-07-2005, 09:54 PM
[QUOTE=Thiink]Thanks all for the replies (Ian, L, Geoff and Dave). :)

Dave: interesting setup! Where do you power the cigarette style attachment from? I'm using a 9v battery at the moment, but planning on upgrading that to a gelcell or similar soonish.

Simon, I use something like this :D