PDA

View Full Version here: : EQ5 to HEQ5 Upgrade Question

dugnsuz
03-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Hello all,
Considering upgrading my mount.

Andrews has the HEQ5 for a good price currently.

Question is - is it worth uprgading from an EQ5 goto mount to a HEQ5 goto mount?

Difference apart from slight increase in load bearing is in the gearing.
From Skywatcher site...

EQ5: • Stepper motors with 1.8° step angle and 32 micro steps driven.

HEQ5: • Stepper motors with 1.8° step angle and 64 micro steps driven.

HEQ5 motor specs looks identical to EQ6 too:shrug:

Any thoughts from HEQ5 users

Thanks in advance

Doug:thumbsup:

Kokatha man
03-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Hi Doug: the only inference (perhaps incorrect) I can draw from the drives is that one might possibly expect a smoother/more precise operation from the HEQ5's motors because of the incrementals.....and are you saying the HEQ5 & 6 have more gutsy motors than the EQ5....?

Tell you what though; why don't you find me a top condition used EQ6, buy it and then I'll swap it with you for my allmost new HEQ5 Pro....!?!

I'll be needing a heavier mount down the track, so here's my offer too good to turn down....!

Cheers, Darryl.

dugnsuz
03-05-2008, 11:57 AM
If I find a decent EQ6 I'm keeping it Darryl - commitin' to nuttin'!!!!!!

I neglected to add that I've done the Astroboy improvements to the EQ5 and it runs quite smoothly.
Just wondering if there's a significant improvement (worth the hassle of upgrade!) in the HEQ5's performance in terms of (as you've said) smoother tracking and autoguiding?

Doug

Karls48
04-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Hi Doug, main difference between those two mounts drive motors is that EQ5 minimum mount movement is 0.287 arc seconds and HEQ5 is 0.143 arc seconds. As Darryl said, tracking is going to be smoother and more precise with HEQ5.
I was going to buy EQ5 but Andrews price was just too good, so I got HEQ5 instead.

dugnsuz
04-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Makes sense Karl, and it follows then that autoguiding should be a smoother, more precise process too, right?

AstralTraveller
05-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Doug,

I'd be quite interested in those improvements. I've looked around the site but can't locate the original post or article or whatever...

Could you point me in the right direction?

cheers,
Dave

dugnsuz
05-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Sorry Dave i was shortening his name - AstronomyBoy!!!!!!
Here you are...
http://www.astronomyboy.com/cg5/

Doug

Jeffkop
05-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Id like to know how anyone can get the HEQ5PRO to autoguide properly using the autoguide input. I will openly admit that Im pretty new to this game, however Im just as quick to admit that my nature is technical and so I am 100% that all the steps Ive taken to try and get this mount to do its job have been logical and correct. It just appears that it cannot accurately drive the weight of a MAK180PRO with JMI focuser and ST2000 CCD camera. So I have a HEQ5PRO mount that anyone can have for 700bux.

dugnsuz
05-05-2008, 08:28 PM
$700 for a busted mount?

Tell 'em they're dreamin'!!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol:

Jeffkop
06-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Hi again Doug

Thats a classic line isnt it ... I know darryl isnt going to agree with me here, Ive read a few of his posts, none that I disagree with mind you, but can imagine that I must look like some useless human adaption, when the advise I was offering was to think about your choice here. Ive no reason to think that my mount is faulty, (I bought it in late February) in fact I have had it swapped for a new one since and they both have the same trouble and like I suggested, I think its because the equipment I have on it is too much for it. The specs for the mount suggest otherwise. I wish there was someone learned and close by that I could demonstrate it to.

Its all well and good for those of the persuasion to take a brand new mount apart and fine tune it or the like so it actually works, however Im of the ilk that believe that something should work as advertised, all the electronics I design certainly have to !!!

So with the fortune of a little hind-sight now and also the use of the proceeds of a recent property sale, Im going to do what I should have done first up .. buy a Losmandy.

Jeff

dugnsuz
06-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Hi Jeff,
I'm surprised the HEQ5 can't handle the scope and gear you've got hanging off it. I mean, Celestron actually sell a C11 OTA on one of their CG5 type mounts in all seriousness, so your lot shouldn't have been too much of a drama for the slightly beefier mount - stumped!!!

Losmandy eh!? - now, that'll be going straight to the pool room!!!:lol::lol: