PDA

View Full Version here: : G-11 tripod question

Omaroo
21-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Hey all

To those that have a G-11 (or CG-11) and use it out in the field, what have you done to protect the bottom of the tripod legs? They are beautifully produced anodised aluminium, and are cut off at the bottom such that they sit flat - on flat ground, as chamfered and open tubes. How are they on uneven and lumpy ground? Do you find that you get clumps of dirt up inside the legs? I really don't like the idea of destroying the finish and think that the leg ends will be chundered up in no time unless they are protected somehow. I hate the idea of putting the bare aluminium on, say, asphalt.

Are there normal leg ends (i.e. rubberised tips or something) available somewhere?

Maybe my mount is new and I'm just being a tad over-protective....

leon
21-04-2008, 04:09 PM
I know what you mean Chris, they do have a beautiful finish, and the mud will get stuck, so to speak, maybe you could get three very large rubber stopper, like the ones you can put on chair legs that protect polished floors.

Just a thought.

Leon

Omaroo
21-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Thanks Leon - I'll have a look to see if anything suits. I like the idea of dense cork inserts cut off at the same chamfered angle...

Or, I could do this I suppose:

Alchemy
21-04-2008, 06:46 PM
i had a look for the chair ends in clark rubber and nothing was big enough. Although they had some interesting high density rubber mats that would be ok for your going out into the field.

i leave mine in the observatory as shes a bit of a beast to move around that much.

Bassnut
21-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Ive used my G11 tripod a few times, solid as, it bites nicely into the ground the way it is, I wouldnt use stoppers (well, unless you always plonk it on asphalt). Stoppers could cause some movement, on dirt anyway. I havent had any trouble with dirt at all, anyway, a quick clean is hardly hard work.