PDA

View Full Version here: : HEQ5 Performance Warning

KG8
18-04-2008, 08:38 AM
If you have recently purchased this mount I would suggest you inspect the gear mesh under the plastic side cover ( 6 Philip's screws )

The components for these mounts are fashioned in state-of-the-art Japanese and European machines, but unfortunately they are assembled by Chinese workers who have probably spent most of their lives tilling rice fields.:(

I have experience with the EQ6 mount and noticed immediately the new HEQ5 I bought had unusual grinding and rattling sounds emanating from it. An inspection under the above mentioned cover revealed that the RA motor and associated cogs were tight as, and that the DEC arrangement was lose as.

These are 3 cog arrangements are adjusted by 2 sets of 3 allen screws each,(2.5mm). I loosened them off slightly, all at once for the RA first, then repositioned the motor to its cog and nipped up the motor 3 bolts, then the plate to the biggest cog, and nipped up those 3. When I was confident the free-play was gone and yet the gears still turned easily when spinning the little motor pinion gear I gently finished the tightening process. ( Don't strip them-- there only going into aluminum ). I then repeated the process on the DEC gears.

You do this with the clutches free BTW. I also noted that my RA bearing is also WAY too tight because spinning it with the clutch frereveals a really tight spot that covers 1/3 the turning circle. Later today I will have to pull the mount down and get at that. Also the worm on my RA is too tight and will need adjusting. This was obvious when ( with the 3 gears loose, clutch off), there was still too much tention in turning the large cog. The worm is an easy job as well and are accessed by going under the little rubber plugs on the opposite side of the mount. Here though a special tool is required, or at least a robust set of pointy nosed pliers. Pull the plugs and you will see what I mean. I know the RA worm is too tight because when I had adjusted the gears as previously described there was still an inordinate amount of tension when turning the tiny motor pinion. Even with free-play in the gears there.
BTW. If you have limited mechanical skills on delicate aluminum, don't even attempt these jobs.

Looks to me like little ling Ho installed the DEC on my mount before the conveyor took it across to he big brother who adjusted up my RA drive.:lol:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-3/1303485/Picture001.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-3/1303485/Picture003.jpg

IanT
18-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the technical info. However, I think your comments marked by the silly little head symbols to be quite unnecessary and unsuitable for posting on this site.
Ian

KG8
18-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Your welcome to the technical info ian. However, your politically correct opinions are quite unnecessary and unsuitable for posting on a friendly site like IIS.

toc
19-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking of getting one of these mounts later this year.