PDA

View Full Version here: : The Orion Odyssey

beren
23-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Recived my Orion 80mm ED from Bintel yesterday, fine looking scope and smaller / lighter then i expected . Typically the evening was overcast with a few holes of opportunity but closed up when i hurried out to try the scope .Managed to get a quick peek at the Moon with a 9mm nagler/2x powermate {120x}, very clear and crisp and no clour fringing , tried to get a suitable star for a test but didnt have a chance for a good look although everything seems well . The focuser is a delight and the overall OTA came unmarked , objective has a deep greenish tinge and couldnt see any metal shavings inside the tube .The scope fits nicley with the 125mm losmandy rings i have for it to ride the LX200 , plenty of room for adjustment, cant wait to use it for visual observing and of course some imaging :D .Hopefully the weather is kind the next few days to test it and compare it to my achro 120mm and get some star test pics and power limits.
For a while now its been a hard decision between the Orion and the WO megrez ed , in fact ive had the Megrez on order for a while {3-4months}but i had concerns regarding colour correction whilst imaging and availability. I didnt mind the waiting but typically with AU dealers its hard to get feedback with updates etc and interesting when i canned the order i recived no reply {the WO agents shouldnt advertise gear in S&S/AS&T that isnt in stock}.Anywhy my brief use with the orion so far has been great and looking forward to getting the most out of it . It may be of interest to other 80mm ed users but through Scopestuff you can get a visual back for the scope that has compression rings and adapters for fitting filters etc , ill post pics when i recive them .......giving some thought to put a Moonlight or Williams synta refractor focuser on the scope to :D

PS: Big Thanks to Paul , Mark and Tony for advice and help

davidpretorius
23-07-2005, 01:06 PM
this looks great!

cydonia
23-07-2005, 01:28 PM
Which agent did you go through with the Megrez ed. I am getting mind through froniter and they have been good.

kevin

ballaratdragons
23-07-2005, 01:44 PM
Kevin,

Welcome to the Wonderful World of IceInSpace! :welcome:

beren
23-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Kevin the one in SA , good luck with yours, judging by the feedback on the WO yahoo group the Megrez eds shouldnt be to far off

cydonia
23-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Thanks guys, certainly looks like a very good site. I noticed WO is also bringing out a 105mm ED Megrez, I am very tempted to change my order to this one. But they are still not sure of the price on it yet.

CS
kevin

asimov
24-07-2005, 08:08 AM
Dont get any idea's David! your gonna have enough on your plate with your Dob coming mate!:rofl:

Starkler
24-07-2005, 10:29 AM
If your concern is the ability of the stock focuser to hold the weight of a heavy camera, there is a simple mod to fix this. The focuser drawtube flat that the focuser spindle presses against isnt very flat with machining marks etc. Many have greatly improved the focuser by flattening this with a honing stone greatly improving the ability of the focuser to hold weight. See the yahoo ed80 group for details.