PDA

View Full Version here: : The mods to the Dob have Started

Wombat_In_Space
23-07-2005, 12:51 AM
Well its a week since my GSO 12' arrived and the mod's have started, the first finished one is the dew shield for the finder with red led illumination. The second major mod is a new base board with wheels and leveling pads, should be finished this weekend.

Parts list for the Dew Shield.

4. red 3mm leds (DSE).
1. 2 X AA dattery holder (DSE).
1. Drink shaker from the kitchen.
matt black paint.
Gaffer tape.

toetoe
23-07-2005, 08:30 AM
No stopping you now Darren.

ballaratdragons
23-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Clever! Very Clever!

Wombat, waiting for your Phone call.

Wombat_In_Space
23-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Will call you on Monday, what time is a good time to call you ???

ballaratdragons
23-07-2005, 11:16 PM
Any time Darren. Except between 2a.m. and 8a.m. I need my beauty sleep! (but it ain't working) LOL :D

Wombat_In_Space
31-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Well I have the new base for my GSO Dob it now has wheels and leveling screws.:D

davidpretorius
31-07-2005, 06:49 PM
very nice!!!

Orion
31-07-2005, 08:57 PM
How much clearence do you have btween the wheel axle and the ground? I am just wondering because if the ground is soft you might sink in a bit.

ballaratdragons
31-07-2005, 10:19 PM
That looks like a marketable idea (hint, hint Mick Pinner)

Unfortunately it is no good for me. I have to go down 3 steps as I turn a corner and then over Sheep-poo infested rough paddocks.

You have done an excellent job Darren.

Wombat_In_Space
31-07-2005, 11:31 PM
There is a little over 75mm clearance to the axle and the wheels are 35mm wide. So I am hoping that it will never sink but time will tell:confuse3:, Here at home I wont have to worry about that as I have concrete to set up on:thumbsup:.

Wombat_In_Space
11-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Well it has been bad weather down here I thought I would change the red illumination of my finder scope (Warning trying this may damage your finder) just thought I beter say that incase any one tries this.

Process involves drilling holes in you finders tube !!!! I am not going to get right into how here as pics are worth a thousand words.:work:

elusiver
11-08-2005, 12:43 PM
what kinda wheels have u got on u'r base? are they pneumatic? do you get any extra wobble with the stand thingies extended??

el :)

Wombat_In_Space
11-08-2005, 12:50 PM
The wheels are solid plastic ones from bunnings, as to the stands the are use only to level the scope when the need arises otherewise the are ajusted down to just take the wait off the wheels so the base doesent roll around well you are viewing so fare there hasen't been any wobbles.
I am looking at changing the wheels to either solid rubber or pneumatic just to make a little less noise well moving the scope in and out on the concrete here at home.

ving
11-08-2005, 12:56 PM
very cool sir, very cool! :)

elusiver
11-08-2005, 02:05 PM
pram wheels would probably do ok... something to look out for on the side of the road :)

Wombat_In_Space
12-08-2005, 11:56 PM
Well I have been busy again this time adding a power panel and batteries to the dob to power the fan and my laptop. After pricing several batteries from DSE, Jaycar and a few others and then make a board for the 9,6,3V outputs I thought it would cost more than it was worth till today I was in Suppa Cheap Autos and saw a nice cheap portable power pack $29.95 and thought this will fit the bill :confuse3: all the needed parts already done for me. Got the unit home made sure it all worked before opening it up and removing all the bits I wanted,so I goto :work: the photos show the difference between bought item and finish attachted to the dob.

elusiver
13-08-2005, 12:21 AM
where's have you attached it to the dob??

Wombat_In_Space
13-08-2005, 12:51 AM
It is attached below my eyepiece rack on the side of the base, the batteries are placed on the inside of the base one in each corner. the unit I got fro Suppa Cheap came with 2x 6v 4Ah SLA batteries so this worked out great as the batteries sit in the corners without interfering with the sciopes tube.

ballaratdragons
13-08-2005, 01:04 AM
Darren,

Are you building a robot?

Great additions and great ideas. Keep them coming. You know we are all going to copy your ideas :D