PDA

View Full Version here: : Help with new Focuser

EzyStyles
27-03-2008, 02:05 AM
Hi Guys,

Just got myself a 2" JMI NGF DX2 focuser for my Celestron NGT10" scope. The original focuser seems slightly bigger than the DX2. You can see the original cut out circle on the tube is huge therefore even if i want to drill holes (i prefer not to), i can't.

Is there any way to fit this without cutting the tube or drilling holes? anywhere i can get a base plate for the DX2 attached to the Celestron?

I'm stuck and if i can't come up with anything, i have to sadly let go of the DX2 :(

cheers.

gbeal
27-03-2008, 05:28 AM
Hi Eric,
I assume that the base of the new focuser has a radius cut into it, so it would have been plug and play, correct?
If so, the easiest option I c an think of is to have a piece of alloy plate bent/rolled to match the curve. Have a hole cut in the plate, and you will also end up with two sets of attaching screws, one set from inside using the existing holes, and another from the outside of the focuser, pointing in.
Nothing is impossible, just needs a little work. Of course if the base of the new focuser is flat, then thats a different kettle of fish.
Where did you buy the JMI, and if you bought it new, can you get the appropriate adaptor.
Gary

iceman
27-03-2008, 05:36 AM
Drilling holes in the tube seems scary but it's not that difficult once you do it.

Just make sure you can get the focuser square and seated flat.

gbeal
27-03-2008, 08:28 AM
I think the problem he has Mike is that the holes that are needed will fall within, or very close to the HOLE that already exists.

rmcpb
27-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Looks like Gary got it right in his first post. Some sheet metal curved with an appropriate hole cut then riveted over the old hole then fit the new focuser.

Not that hard really.

EzyStyles
27-03-2008, 09:35 AM
thanks for your response guys. i was affraid of that. gary is correct. the holes wil fall within the focuser.

Ideal will be an adapter base plat for the dx2 to the C10 but googling around couldn't find anywhere. didnt get it new gary, it came with a curved base designed for a 10" newt but the base is too smal for my scope to fit.

erick
27-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Any possibility of using the plate on the old focusser? Does that plate come off the old focusser? If so, pop up a photo to see if that gives anyone ideas. As stated, anything is possible with the right materials and tools!

EzyStyles
27-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Hi Eric, unfortunately the base on the DX2 is part of the focuser which cannot be taken off.

Alchemy
27-03-2008, 11:09 AM
whatever you do is going to be difficult to do well from the back yard ... if it were me i would do the following

take the focuser AND the mounting plate from the gso down to an engineering place, have the gso plate gound down on the inside so the jmi one fits very neatly inside, and then either weld and re coat the anodising OR if possible have allen key grub screws on 4 sides to lock it in place.. then bolt as per normal

its probably easier to re-spend on one which fits right.

my 2c worth

clive

h0ughy
27-03-2008, 12:57 PM
or what about putting the focuser 180 degrees on the opposite side of the existing hole and make a new hole for it, then just turn the spider around to suit. you can of course do all of this blindfolded standing on your head....... now if you got a moonlite focuser you wouldnt have this problem - their base plates accomodate for this situation

EzyStyles
27-03-2008, 06:16 PM
hmm .... anyone want a JMI DX-2 focuser? :D

quite scared to do any welding/butching on the scope even from someone else. i had a though about that houghy, but then i have to end up cutting another hole in the tubby. hmmm... i'l give it a few days to think before going off to the classified section......

erick
27-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Don't give up so easily, Eric. I'm sure there is an acceptable solution. PM me if you want a second brain looking at it sometime this coming weekend?

peter_4059
27-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Eric,

Would this work?

Curved Backup Plate
Add Support When Mounting JMI 1.25" or 2" Focusers to Cardboard or Wood Optical Tubes

http://jimsmobile.com/images/adpt_bu_plates_small.jpg
(http://jimsmobile.com/images/adpt_bu_plates.jpg)ADPTBUPC
$16.00
Buy Now (http://ww10.aitsafe.com/cf/add.cfm?userid=C3179032&product=(ADPTBUPC)+Curved+Backup+Pl ate+for+1.25)

http://jimsmobile.com/buy_focuser_acc.htm

Peter

EzyStyles
29-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks guys. I think i got it now. back to my cable tie method same goes with the GSO focuser :P

Hi Peter, think that base plate only suits cardboard/wood surface?