PDA

View Full Version here: : new telescope

icftoo
26-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Hi
I know this sort of question has been asked before.
I am thinking of getting a new scope but i am not sure which one.
I currently own a homemade 8" dob which has been ok over the years but i want something sturdier and computerised and to connect to my PC.

3 scopes i am considering are

CPC 925 GPS XLT
Meade 10" LX90 GPS
LXD75 254MM (10") SCHMIDT-NEWTONIAN WITH UHTC

The scope will be used for general viewing. I would like to get into photography.

Any advice appreciated

Cheers
George

iceman
27-03-2008, 05:44 AM
Hi George.

The C925 is known to be a very good scope both optically and photographically, so will definitely fit your needs now and into the future.

If you'd still like to use a newtonian, you can get an 8" or 10" newtonian mounted on an EQ6, which can be connected to your computer and has skyscan goto.

Dennis
27-03-2008, 06:01 AM
Hi George

Hmm, tough decisions eh?

If your goal is going to be astro photography, then you will find that most hardened astro photographers would say that the mount is more important than the optical tube that it carries.

Astro photography is a big subject, ranging from recording the bright Sun, Moon and Planets which require short exposures (sub second) through to dim galaxies and nebulae which require very long exposures, usually 3 – 10 minutes to record decent detail.

An Alt-Az mount that allows you to capture short exposure sequences of the Moon and Planets will not be capable of providing the tracking and smooth guiding required for 3 – 10 minutes exposures of deep sky objects such as galaxies, which require an equatorial mount accurately polar aligned.

Cheers

Dennis