PDA

View Full Version here: : For those with an HEQ6, does your scope make a ratteling noise on take off and landin

White Rabbit
24-03-2008, 06:53 PM
(For some reason I wrote EQ6 instead of 5 in the thread title)

Mine makes a noise that is best described as, alarming.

When it starts to slew to somthing it makes this sound that is somewhere between a rattle and a grind. Once it has started to slew it's fine it's just on the take off and the landing that it makes this sound. It doesnt sound right to me though and since I've only just bought the mount, I'm rather alarmed and I'm considering taking it back. Before I take it back though I thought I'd ask if the noise is normal. Does yours make a funny noise on take off and landing?

Thanks
Sandy

skwinty
24-03-2008, 07:20 PM
Yes, the eq6 does make funny noises when starting or stopping. This is due to the acceleration and deceleration of the motors and gears.
I wouldnt describe the noise as grinding though.
Wait until you hear the noise it makes when something like a tripod leg or chair stops it mid flight.
Now that is a scary noise.;)

White Rabbit
24-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks. I might just have to record the sound an post it to give a better idea of what I'm talking about.

It sounds like the bearing cases are are rattling, if that makes it any more descriptive.

Thanks again
Sandy

omnivorr
24-03-2008, 07:58 PM
..kinda sounds like freeplay between gears..by your description... is everything mounted tightly.. not teeth skipping against the initial inertia then cogs meshing, but still riding-up.... ? ie a slight slop in the motor's bolting-down ??

danielsun
24-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Yes, I know exactly what you mean and it is quite loud, mine does the same too! But it's only the play in the jockey gear.
Mine seems to do it more when slewing one way than the other.

Cheers Daniel.

Kokatha man
24-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Nope WR (not in my HEQ5 Pro) - ie, apart from the expected motor/gear sounds: certainly not like the sound I imagine from your description of it.

Can only suggest you check the backlash setting of your gears, as per the manual. (it has a default setting)

Regards, Darryl.

danielsun
24-03-2008, 09:02 PM
When I was at Snake valley I compared mine with Niko's and he's HEQ5 was much quieter than mine.
I pulled my cover off and ran it and it seemed to be coming from the jockey gear which has a fair bit of slop.
If your really worried it probably wouldn't hurt to take it back to the shop and get them to check it over to be sure.;)