PDA

View Full Version here: : 8" LightBridge

Brian W
24-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Hi to one and all, Short history... started with binoculars, moved to Orion 4.5 short tube reflector on an EQ mount, have recently had the use of a 8" celestron Powerstar and have just ordered a Meade 8" LightBridge.

Bought the 8" because it comes in 2 containers that can be brought onto an airplane as 'regular' baggage which saves a lot of money when you live in the Philippines and have a friend coming down who will bring in the scope. Also because I am a bit of a minimalist and 8" is just fine for me.

Now my question; what can or needs to be done to maximize the 8's ability to capture faint fuzzies and enjoy nebulae and clusters.

Brian

Starkler
24-03-2008, 03:41 PM
1: Knowing where to look . ie star charts
2: Collimation (search thread titles)
3: Giving your optics time to cool (or warm) to ambient temperature.

Brian W
24-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Never have figured out star charts but I do have some reasonable software on the computer. Collimation I am ok with and we live in a bamboo house so we are ambient 24 / 7. :thumbsup:
Brian

astronut
24-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Hi Brian,
Congratulations on the 8" LB, you'll love it!!
Since you live in "Dew Central":lol: I would recommend a shroud www.astrozap.com (http://www.astrozap.com) and a dew/light shield from the same place.
If you're a handy person, you can make these items.
Down the track, either buy or make dew heaters for your finder and eyepiece and make sure that you leave the fan on for the entire viewing session.:thumbsup:

Brian W
25-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Did order the shroud from astrozap will look at their dew / light shield and the fan will stay on on wet nights.
Brian

astronut
26-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Brian,
I bought my shroud directly from astrozap.
They were very good to deal with and delivered the shroud promptly.
I made the dew shield myself from H.I.P.S, High Impact Polystyrene Sheet.
But..........I've seen shields made of many different materials.
Astrozap also sell a shield.:thumbsup: