PDA

View Full Version here: : New telescope help required

orion77
20-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Hi all,

Im looking at buying myself a new scope. I currently have a 60mm f/10 refractor that ive had for quite a few years but it has seen better days. Looking at getting myself a reflector but i am just a little bit confused or should that be overwhelmed by the choices available to me. I want it for deep sky veiwing and to do some astrophotography. Ive been looking at the Meade LXD-75(8inch aperture) but have had mixed reveiws from the scope being too heavy for the stand to it being a great purchase for its price range. Ive also looked at SkyQuest XT12 IntelliScope but ive also read that they are not very good at astrophotography because they cannot track the sky as effeciently as a scope on an eq or fork mount. With the money that i plan on investing into this i want to make sure i make the right choice, its not exactly like buying a coffee because if its cold you can always get yourself another one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx in advance....
Orion77

asimov
20-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Orion77....Where are all you new guys coming from all of a sudden?? LOL....G'day mate, & welcome! Check this out for some thoughts from others on this subject:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=2994

[1ponders]
20-07-2005, 07:31 PM
:welcome: and :gday: Orion. If you can give some idea of your budget we could offer better directed ideas.

As for the LX75, yes from what I understand there have been a few issues with the newts and schmit-newts on the LX75, but from what I understand its more a problem with movement arm (the length of the scope) rather than the weight. If your considering imaging as well you might consider an sct on the LX75. Same scope optics as on the LX90 and LX200. It will have less of a problem in the movement arm department than longer newts. Having said that you will probably still have to do a bit of tweeking and adjusting to get the mount suitable as a stable astrophotography mount.

orion77
21-07-2005, 04:11 PM
my budget spend for a new scope would be between $2000 and $3000 with a little overspend if required. i was also looking at the meade dsi for imaging.. i havent had much feedback with this product to go by.. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Also, just as a bit of feedback, i saw this website advertised in Sky & Space magazine. This site is really good and a great place for questions and issues to be discussed.
Thanx in advance...
Orion77

[1ponders]
21-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Well here's something to think about. (Prices close but not exact) A HEQ5 mount capacity 34 lb $1200, Meade 8" SCT OTA (check dovetail plate suitablity) $1600. Use your 60mm for a guidescope, need guide rings $140. Or Off Axis Guider (don't do it to yourself go for the guidescope) $140. ToUcam and adapter for autoguiding and planetary imaging $195. 1.25" sct adapter, star diagonal and 26mm series 4000 meade eyepiece $260. Dovetail bracket $60. Finderscope and bracket to fit meade $130.

All up approx $3600. More likely a better option as an imaging mount than the LX75 standard. I"ve not had a HEQ5, but all up price (and I didn't do any searching for comparable prices) seem OK and it has a good reputation as a reliable small heavy duty mount. Not sure how to adapt it to autoguiding from a laptop though. I'm sure there are others here who would be able to answer that question

p medcraft
21-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Hold the fort!
There is a 2004 GPDX with Skysensor 2000 for sale in Brisbane from one Astromart member for around $1500.00 and a Meade 8" f4 S/N UHTC ota with original 6x30 finder, accessory plate to fit 8x50 finder ($40 value for free), original Meade rings and Losmandy and LXD55/75 or EQ5 mounting plates. It includes the original Meade 2" R&P Focuser with accessories that came with the scope, MOONLITE CR1 CRAYFORD FOCUSER...., velvet flocked tube, and laser collimated optics.
It is in mint condition and the owner has the original shipping boxes etc.
Purchase price is $900AUD + shipping.
Thats $2500.00 and you have a grand to put towards a camera, on that subject there is an ASV member selling a Sbig ST7 with guide chip for $1300.00 meaning you don't need the guide scope...

Try Astromart before you buy.

Paul Medcraft

p medcraft
21-07-2005, 05:52 PM
On the subject of the Mead DSI. Very impressive but made to go with the Autostar. The real benefit of the camera comes from the Drizzle technology that allows the FOV to be increased. This only works with the Autostar, without it the camera is much more pedestrian.

[1ponders]
21-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Brilliant deal that one.

Hmmmm...Wouldn't mind that Sbig myself.