PDA

View Full Version here: : weight rating

tnbk00
19-03-2008, 08:42 AM
I'm curious as to if weight rating on mounts (HEQ5-pro) includes counter weights.

I am considering putting the 10" OTA I have on the mount and according to the bintel page for it, the OTA weights approx 13kgs. The mount has a loading of 15Kgs so does this include the counter weights or not.

any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.

Daniel

JohnG
19-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Hi

Normally the carrying capacity of a GEM mount does not include the counterweights.

Cheers

g__day
19-03-2008, 10:35 AM
I find the system seems to be

1. If your in America they count all things added (e.g. Vixen Sphinx Deluxe carrying capacity 50 lbs ~ as if!), all else

2. Observe generally no more than 2/3 of that wieght rating if you want to do imaging (especially if you are thinking large / long OTAs in exposed conditions in high winds etc...)

3. Note the Japanese at the quality end are conservative on their limits - you can push it!

tnbk00
19-03-2008, 10:41 AM
I think for imaging I will use the 80mm so no issues there, the 10" would be more to make use of the goto, and tracking (not critical as when imaging).
my concern with pushing is what impact could that have on the mount long term, I am unfamiliar with the risks of doing so, I wouldn't want to burn out motors or cause a higher level of PE on the mount by doing so.....hmmm interesting.