PDA

View Full Version here: : Scope Buggys

mick pinner
19-07-2005, 07:07 PM
since a few guys mentioned the scope buggys l have had a bit of a look if they are a viable product, what l want to know is what do you think would be a price that would make them attractive, they would be a variable design meaning that they can be altered to take any size tripod even when fully extended have 3 wind down points to stabilize the scope while observing and also 3 rubber pads for those with large dobs, l was thinking of painting them white so they are easier to notice at night, any thoughts.

Dennis
19-07-2005, 07:50 PM
Hi Mick

I guess it depends on size of mount and 'scope, but for my Vixen 4" refractor on a pedestal, I would fork out up to say, $300 for the convenience of the additional features such as wind-down stabilisers. For a more basic version, maybe $200? I guess the wheels and other fittings/fasteners would set you back about $100 so it would be a tight squeeze to keep the prices affordable yet still make a living.

I suspect that with us ageing baby boomers, you could expect a growing market for "age challenged" assist accessories?

Cheers

Dennis

mick pinner
19-07-2005, 08:00 PM
the main advantage of having it adjustable is that it will fit all the way up to the Meade giant field tripod so as your aparture fever grows you can keep the same buggy.

ballaratdragons
19-07-2005, 09:17 PM
White would be good Mick. Safe!

elusiver
19-07-2005, 10:11 PM
would it be hard to colour to order? might be nice to have the 'option' of colour.. even though i'm sure most people(myself included) would be happy with white.. but it'd be nice to have an option :) maybe even pink to get the bank manager on board to ok the funds :)

el :)

mick pinner
19-07-2005, 10:16 PM
could be done any colour the bank manager wants.

ballaratdragons
19-07-2005, 10:17 PM
The problem of ordering your own colour would be Mick would have to buy lots of colours. That could make them dearer.

Mick?

mick pinner
19-07-2005, 10:44 PM
being a spraypainter for 32 years l have connections

davidpretorius
19-07-2005, 10:56 PM
my first thought is imported chinese trolley jacks from the likes of TWM in melbourne. We have them at work for moving pallets around. Pump the handle say ten times and it lifts up to 2 tonne, click the handle and it slowly lowers the supports. If you mod one so that the base supports the tripods and then make the supports soild against the ground, then i can't see he costs being high. I will check costs tomorrow and post pics

mick pinner
20-07-2005, 06:07 PM
so much for buying australian made, l give up.

asimov
20-07-2005, 06:19 PM
I'm not sure I'm following what U guy's are talking about when U mention 'scope- buggie's' ?? do U mean something like this pic??....

Sorry, I just realised your all talking about moving the whole scope, lock stock & barrel! (I think??)

elusiver
20-07-2005, 07:13 PM
i think what daves talking about are those hand fork lift trolley thingys.. which are good.. but not exactly portable. What you've got mick is something that i imagine is portable. Something that you could chuck in the car for the instances where the flat clear site for observing is away from the car park. Saving you doing multiple trips for the base/tripod and the ota. Might be worth thinking about pneumatic(spelling?) tires :P I think i have a fair idea of what the product is.. cause i was thinking about making something for myself along the same lines.. and I'm quite sure that there is nothing like it around in oz at least.

so don't be disheartened!

mick pinner
20-07-2005, 07:33 PM
l was only typing out loud, the idea l have will work well and everybody will want one , do you hear everyone.

davidpretorius
20-07-2005, 08:39 PM
Sorry Mick, only suggesting chinese pallet lifters to keep cost down and you can then mod them from there. I was thinking of the way the system lifts a heavy load and then softly places it on the ground. TO reinvent, i thought would be expensive, but to buy cheap import, strip and use hydraulics would be the go?

ballaratdragons
20-07-2005, 09:30 PM
No Chinese please. If Mick says he can make an all Aussie product, then more power to him.

GO MICK GO!!!

This advertisement was written on behalf of 'Pinner Scientific Instruments'

davidpretorius
20-07-2005, 09:35 PM
ok no chinese!

mick pinner
20-07-2005, 09:40 PM
have you got that name copyrighted Ken? how much for the rights? l know what you meant Dave P the problem with using anything like hydraulics is that it will break down when you least need it to, also the weight and packing up of the unit is important when guys want to take it to a remote site when room in the car is an important consideration.With a bit of luck the first prototype will be posted this weekend.

ballaratdragons
20-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Naaah! You can have it Mick! Copyright it and it's all yours.

If I had a working graphics program I'd probably have a logo done by now too!

davidpretorius
20-07-2005, 09:53 PM
mick, the cricket is on, so you reckon it will be over by saturday and you can post your pics????

elusiver
21-07-2005, 04:40 PM
PSI?

i pumped my tyres :P :) :D

i'll give it a crack BD.

ballaratdragons
21-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Cool Graphic!!

Looks like something that belongs on the 'X Files' lol. Nice bit of work el.

elusiver
21-07-2005, 10:37 PM
or maybe PSI: Victoria

mick pinner
23-07-2005, 05:45 PM
well my wheels didn't arrive so l could not go any further but thought l would do a few progress pics, should be finished wednesday.
1. Basic frame with tripod.
2. Leg cups with wind down stabilizer.
3. At full extension.

davidpretorius
23-07-2005, 06:16 PM
great start

elusiver
23-07-2005, 09:04 PM
hey mick.. great start! thought it'd be a more propeller shaped thing.. ohh.. like the mercedes benz logo.. that way a round dob base would be balanced evenly on it(yes.. all i think about is dobs! forget u EQ & goto fork owners :P)... Just thinking about the base in it's present form a dob base would only be balanced across the cross axis.. if that's make sense.. i'm not too technical so i'm trying to explain myself but don't know the words to use... also.. might be betterto have the stabalizer bolt on the outside of the tripod leg..

just some thoughts.. but it's getting there mick! you'll have to find out where to get those kangaroo aussie made stickers :D

RAJAH235
23-07-2005, 11:40 PM
A General point??? How many 'FEET' does your/anyone's DOB t'scope have??? Mine has 3. The original small rubber ones were removed,(useless), when I made the 'adjustable' ones for levelling the t'scope for the DSC's. I made them from 10 mm nuts, welded on the end of a 3" length of 20 mm steel pipe, which the 10 mm x 3" bolts screw into. The other end of the pipe has a plate welded on, for screwing to the base & a large washer is welded to the bolt head to widen it's ground profile. The feet are set 120 degrees apart, as per original, & would sit perfectly on Mick's unit. Pity I don't need one......... Keep up the good 'Australian Production Line', Mick. :thumbsup: :D L.

ballaratdragons
23-07-2005, 11:49 PM
el,

I get your point, to a point. Laurie explained one way around it. But also the trolley needs to fit into a car easily and if it had a round base it is just as big or bigger than a dob base and fitting a dob base in a car can be a trick in itself without more big round things being added!

Yes I agree though, it would be nice to just wack the Dob on it and move it around!

elusiver
24-07-2005, 12:00 AM
bd.. i think initially mike mention that the leg thigs would be adjustable.. i pictured it as sort of an extendable thing.. like a car radio antenna.. but.. so that would mean it could be small enough to be portable and also adjust size for difference scopes.

ballaratdragons
24-07-2005, 12:03 AM
Now that would be good!

Hear that Mick?

Hey el, are we supposed to call you 'el' as you sign the end of each post, or 'Lex' as in your signature? I been wondering that for about a month or more!

RAJAH235
24-07-2005, 12:37 AM
el, Lex, Did you have a close look at the design? It's fully adjustable to almost any size. Will take any DOB easily. Mick started with the basic 'T' frame, & put 2 adj/extensions in 2 of the 'legs'. As he states, the wheels didn't arrive, but you can get the general idea from the pics. When finished for the night, simply push the 'extended legs' back in. It looks like a good, low profile buggy to me. Should work well. :D L.

ballaratdragons
24-07-2005, 12:41 AM
There you go ellex, problem solved!

elusiver
24-07-2005, 12:43 AM
BD.. el, lex, idiot(when the mrs says it) are all names i answer to :P ;) :)

u'r right laurie... just wan't clear on the pictures.. but i see it now.. but you think the T shape would be better than a Y shape for holding the round base of a dob?

ballaratdragons
24-07-2005, 12:50 AM
Strange name. Mr. Ellex Idiot. Oh well, if that's what the Missus calls ya! :rofl:

That's cool Lex. :thumbsup:

elusiver
24-07-2005, 12:52 AM
don't u ever sleep BD?

ballaratdragons
24-07-2005, 12:57 AM
Going now, but you came and posted again. Had to read what it said!! What's your excuse? Lol

RAJAH235
24-07-2005, 01:14 AM
Lex, It really doesn't matter what shape the base is. It works just fine. You simply rotate the DOB around to fit it on the frame/legs. The weight/centre of gravity, is still nearly over the centre of the framework where it should be.... Try it with a sheet of paper & straws set at 120 degrees apart...... :D L.

mick pinner
02-08-2005, 07:10 PM
well the Scope Cart is finished at last
1. cart with EQ6 and tripod
2. adjuster for levelling of scope
3. fully steerable front wheel with simple steering bar (unthreads for easy removal)
Wheels are 8" pneumatic with bearing centres, all 3 points extend to take up to a Meade giant field tripod, a non extendable version is being made to take dobs although dobs can be carried on this one by turning the slide rings upside down and inserting rubber mounts, the two rear axles extend as well as the bar attaching the front wheel, as well as this there are sliding rings that give you unlimited positons for any size tripod, the extension bars are held firmly in place by 3/8" locking bolts.
The main frame also breaks down into 5 pieces with the longest piece being less than 2ft in length making it easy to transport.

asimov
02-08-2005, 07:29 PM
NOW I get the picture on what a scope-buggy is. Nice clean simple design.

beren
02-08-2005, 07:31 PM
Wow Mick that looks awesome , got to say it looks a lot more solid then the JMI one i have , i like the lower profile and the tyres .

elusiver
02-08-2005, 07:49 PM
looks tops mick :) any photo's with a dob on it?

davidpretorius
02-08-2005, 08:10 PM
very nice sir,

yes those are the 8" tyres i hope to be able to source for you from the importer to keep the price down.

yes, very very nice!!!