PDA

View Full Version here: : Sandwich Foam OTA

Astroman
19-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Hi all,

I was chatting to my dad a few weeks ago regarding foam cores. He is currently building a radio controlled glider which has foam core wings. Foam core being a foam core which is sandwiched in between a layer of balsa sheet.

They used blue foam which is meant to be the strongest type I think. Anyway I was thinking has anyone tried making an OTA using foam core? Advantages being it is relatively light weight and is pretty damn strong.

Anyway what are your thoughts and could it be done?

rmcpb
19-07-2005, 08:16 PM
If it could be bent into a tube then it could be used. Probably would have great thermal properties and really good look if dressed up correctly but making a sandwich of three layers into a tube would be hard I would think.

ballaratdragons
19-07-2005, 08:44 PM
It can be done very easily.

There are many scopes made of sections (from square to octagonal). That would be a terrific product as long as the Balsa is strong enough to take the Mirror & Mirror Cell.

Focuser wouldn't be a problem but the balsa may have to be reinforced around heavier accessories like Telrads, piggy backed scopes etc.

Great Idea Andrew. Nice and light. OTA Probably wouldn't dew up much either!!:thumbsup:

Better tell us where to buy this product in case someone wants to make an OTA out of it. Thanks!

Astroman
19-07-2005, 11:18 PM
I was thinking of plywood sheet instead of balsa. I will find out where to get the blue foam from and let you guys know.