PDA

View Full Version here: : iOpton Cube.. opinions?

programmer
13-03-2008, 02:22 PM
So how many have taken up using one of these little beasties, and how are you finding them? There's a review in AS&T which is quite praising of them. Is it a good low cost goto, or are there better options for not much more money?

I'd really like an Argo Navis for my 10", but I was thinking of a Cube and a cheapish reflector or refractor to go with it (I only have the one scope!) instead. A few reasons: my dob is not a grab and go.. i.e. can't take it with the family on those trips where dark skies might be on hand. Would also double as the kids' scope (yeah, right ;)). I thought another use might be to 'help' me locate objects on my dob, but after some thought I realised that just won't work.

I read a thread on here where someone ordered one from China for $200? I realise there are different versions (i.e. with and w/o GPS) but what are current street prices? I don't have AS&T here but I think around $350 for the basic model? With the good Aussie dollar, should I order from O/S?
Sorry about the rambling.

edit: grrrr. bad spelling in the thread title :(

Screwdriverone
13-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Hi Mark,

I have just been talking to Andrews about this very same thing, found in the AS&T too.

With the Promak150 OTA at $600 and the Ioptron Cube at $350ish, you can get a VERY nice little Goto Mak Cass for under a grand! PLUS, with my short tube Newt (500mm) weighing in at only 4.1 kg (cube is rated to 7-11lbs and 4.1kgs = 9lbs, I can mount the 130mm Newt on it as well! Or stuff the Promak idea and get the Cube simply cause it is only $350 ish dollars for a goto mount on a tripod! :eyepop:and will suit my 5 inch newt SUPERBLY!

By the way, Lee told me that they will be hopefully selling these cubes in the very near future (hope its not a trade secret) and that there is a more robust (read heavier payload) model on the way with metal gears......

Hmmmmmm, race ya there....

Chris

programmer
13-03-2008, 03:06 PM
I'd be looking at a REALLY cheap scope initially, probably 2nd hand. If the budget were to go up to the $1000 mark, I'd be sorely tempted to get an Argo Navis for my dob. No portability of course... Hmm but then I'll be refinancing my mortgage soon :D

Edit: who's Mark ?:shrug:
PS: Where is that OTA (http://telescope.com.au/Home/tabid/247/CategoryID/896/List/0/Level/a/ProductID/1116/Default.aspx?SortField=UnitCost%2CP roductName) going for $600?

Screwdriverone
13-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Hi Programmer,

Sorry, was reading another post from a Mark and the name somehow stuck.

I was gunna call you Dave from your signature, but then realised it was the Dave Ek Setting circle :P

PROMAK150 150mm x 1800mm Maksutov-Cassegrain OTA has a 1.25" visual back and is gold in colour.It is supplied with a matching gold coloured 9 x 50 finderscope in a white holder, 1.25" push-in diagonal, LET 9mm and 20mm eyepieces Now $600.00

its at Andrews Comms here http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm

and my original thread discussion here
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=29613

Cheers

Chris

programmer
13-03-2008, 03:51 PM
That sounds good, the link I found had it down from $1,650 to $1,200! Not that I know anything about the scope, or Maksutov-Cassegrains for that matter. Surprised your other thread has had no responses though. Does sound like a pretty good grab and go GOTO for a grand.

Screwdriverone
13-03-2008, 04:01 PM
the Promak150 with goto mount is $1650 from Andrews, so this means the mount itself is $1050 as listed on the prices. the Promak180mm is $2250.

The reasoning behind the Ioptron cube idea is that I can mount both my existing Skywatcher OTA on it, OR the Promak150 and this way I can have goto for both! If I decide to risk buying it all....

I was, after all comparing DSC ideas and for the cash, the cube beats them all for cheap goto rather than push to on my GEM.

Chris

Outbackmanyep
15-03-2008, 01:53 PM
I hope the nylon gears hold up in them! Then again, windscreen wiper motors have been using plastic gears since......well......well before i came into being!! Other than that it looks like a tremendous little grab and go set-up!

programmer
15-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Yea good nylon can extremely tough and hard wearing. I have since read a less then glowing review of the Cube, but 'for the money' (as long as it does work!) it can't be beaten. Love to be buying in the States though, there's a SCT with GOTO new for around $700 (was a top brand but can't remember which). I guess postage to Oz would blow it all out of the water though. :(

citivolus
15-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Meade used nylon gears in the LX200 series until only a few years ago. They do stand up better than expected under load.

I'm sure someone will come out with a brass or stainless gear replacement set :)