PDA

View Full Version here: : Pics of my DSO imaging setup

iceman
11-03-2008, 05:12 PM
I hadn't taken any pics of my DSO imaging setup previously, so I did the other night..

And here they are. Budget DSO imaging :)

I've annotated them for easy recognition amongst the mess of cables :)

Apart from the software, these pictures pretty much represent the minimum of what you need to get started in (reasonable) DSO imaging.

Screwdriverone
11-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Hi Mike,

Impressive! sure is a lot of cables there! I am glad you labelled it for the noobs like me to understand. The Canon is opereating without an eyepiece in? ie Prime Focus? is that right?

One thing you are missing is the pillow and blankie for when the missus locks you out of the house like mine did last night for staying out till 5am.....:(

Is this the rig thats showing us some hi res Joop shots? or is that the 12" shown in the Astronomy 2008 mag mug shot?

Cheers

Chris

iceman
11-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Hi Chris

Yes that's right - it's at prime focus in the ED80, using the T-ring/adapter. But, it also has the WO 0.8x reducer/flattener instead of the standard 2" nosepiece/extension tube.

I needed it last night.. though once it's setup on its imaging run, I can go to bed for a couple of hours. That's what I did last night. Start the run at 12am, go to bed, set the alarm for 2am, get up and point the scope to a new object, spend 30-60 minutes or so getting the new object ready to capture, and set that off. Set the alarm for 5am, get up and pack it away. and then sometimes put the 12" on for Jupiter. :)

For planetary imaging, I use the 12". The only common components between the two setups is:
1. Laptop
2. DMK21AU04
3. Battery (to power the fan on the 12")
4. EQ6

I take everything else off, put the rings on the EQ6, and the 12" in the rings.

Screwdriverone
11-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Hi Mike,

I dont think I could wake up multiple times, once asleep, stay asleep!

Sounds like you have yourself well trained.

Something about your comment of 12" on the Eq6 reminded me of a question; I have seen a Skywatcher Promak 150 Maksutov Cassegrain 150mm OTA only for about $600, would this leave my 130mm for dead in terms of being able to resolve things and be used for higher quality imaging? Also, do you think it would be able to sit on my EQ2 medium duty mount when they are both Skywatcher kit?

Obviously its not much of an aperture upgrade, but the better quality optics of my new 12.5mm ep have got me thinking.....and the fact that a lot of people have refractors which are hi quality.

Also, perhaps the $600 could be better spent on a 8-12 inch dob?

So, three questions, sorry, feel free to bump it to equipment discussions if needed.

Chris

dugnsuz
11-03-2008, 05:47 PM
"Kneepad" - what a good idea...I'm going to knick that idea Mike, Cheers!!!
Doug

iceman
11-03-2008, 05:50 PM
It's invaluable Doug, especially when you're down on the ground trying to peer up through the finderscope pointing at something near the zenith.

Cost me like $1-$2 from Bunnings.

btw I stole the idea from Dennis :)

iceman
11-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Better to ask these questions in a new thread, Chris.

You'll get a better variety of responses.

Screwdriverone
11-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Ok Thanks Mike, will do.

Chris

[1ponders]
11-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Gee apart from the EQ6 that setup looks very familiar, but I reacon I just might have a couple of more cables with dew heaters and ac adapters etc :lol:

BTW how are you finding the WO reducer now?

Matty P
11-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Nice setup Mike. :)

I am currently collecting everything I will need for a DSO rig. So I need all the help I can get, thanks for posting.

BTW How long does it take you to set everything up?

iceman
11-03-2008, 07:34 PM
It has been good, but occassionally I still get bad seagulls in the corner, like last night. I tried taking the camera off and putting it back on and just couldn't get sharp stars in the corners. I guess I needed to unattach everything and try again.
I think it's something to do with being square, like you said, but haven't figured it out yet.

See here: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=29369

dugnsuz
11-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Absolutely! The concrete where I set up hurts my knees!!:violin: