PDA

View Full Version here: : Classic LX200 dec motor problem & grease

thunderchildobs
09-03-2008, 04:25 PM
I had my 10inch lx200 classic under a dark sky for the first time in 4 four months when a dec runaway occured. Normally the problem goes away by turning off the scope and reinserting and wiggling the dec cable. After a powering up again, the runway continued. This time I noticed the power meter on the control panel was maxing out. I repeat the process again, this time nothing happened. After a lot of panicking, i discover the fuse was blown. 5 fuses later the problem seemed to be the dec motor.

I have replaced the dec motor with one from a meade service pack I had previously aquired. Problem sovled.

Is it possible / worth to have the old dec motor repaired without buying another service pack?

Also, the old dec motor worm gear is covered in grease, do i need to grease the new worm gear? If so, what grease should I use?

Brendan

h0ughy
09-03-2008, 04:39 PM
i used lithium grease, and not too much (in actual fact the kit should have had some with it?). as for getting the motor repaired, when i had mine (2 complete fix kits) I was told that the motherboard and the motors were "tuned" and not to mix them up when changing them over. they had t go back as a complete unit? i wondered about that and whether it was true or not?

mick pinner
09-03-2008, 04:51 PM
regarding the motherboard and motors being tuned, l was also told this but it is not true. l have had larger high torque motors fitted to my 12" LX 200 with the original motherboard with tremendous results. l am now carrying about 20kg extra in scopes and mounting plates and the amp meter never moves above 4 except for initial slew and even then only to 6.

wedwards
12-03-2008, 11:07 AM
G'day Mick,
I am on the same rock, only in NSW. Could you please supply me with details of the larger high torque motors that you have had fitted to your LX200 12" (GPS?).
Were any modifications to the mother board required?
What sort of A$ would I be looking at?
You mention that you have an amp meter in your setup. Can you share any related information, ie. meter type, meter hookup, etc.?
Regards,
Bill.

rogerg
12-03-2008, 12:29 PM
I would treat them like gold these days. Sure you can buy new parts through BINTEL but it's expensive and can take a long time. If it were me I'd find someone local who could repair it. If you don't know someone, I'd ask BINTEL, I think they would know of a person who repairs them for you.

Good luck, and make sure you keep spares. Nothing worse than in 5 years finding it's dead and you needed those spares.

Roger.

mick pinner
12-03-2008, 04:52 PM
hi Bill, the motors are Sanyo-Denki, the exact model identification l don't have but could look up, no mods to the motherboard.
there were major mods to fit the new motors, new mounting plates and tension adjusters had to be made as well as some alterations to the main castings.
the amp meter is a standand item on the LX200.