PDA

View Full Version here: : what's your most ingeious equipment emergency measure

[1ponders]
17-07-2005, 03:24 PM
Its come to my attention that there are a lot of very ingenious people in this forum. And some that are not only ingenious but quick on their feet.

For the benefit of others that may find themselves in a sticky situation sometime and need a quick fix solution how about putting down here one or two emergency stopgap measures you have had to come up with to keep your viewing/imaging night a success.

Here's one I came up with last night.

After mounting my Orion and Celestron refractors on the Losmandy I found I didn't have quite enough weight to counterbalance it. I have new weights on order but William Ng is here and we wanted to have a bit of an imaging night (bad moon and all) I thought, "what could I use that would fit my 32mm counter weigth bar". Nothing :( Then I spotted an old 4lb lump hammer with a broken handle, and this is what I came up with.

Knocked out the old broken handle, found a bolt with the right thread and was long enough and screwed it to the end of the counterweight bar. :2thumbs: Worked like a treat. Just slid the existing weight up and down til it balanced. Worked so well I might cancel the new weights. :) I dont think it will balance the 8" meade and Orion together though.

h0ughy
17-07-2005, 04:06 PM
well done!!

For the transit of Venus last year I had to use my etx105 solar filter that I have with the celestron Nexstar4GT and make an off axis shield and cover for the 12" LX200. Duc tape works wonders. I had less that 30 minutes to get things right, and I was setup in front of ABC radio to boot. I used a complete roll of tape and just had it made in time. worked OK. Now I have a full filter for the 12, and the PST :D

[1ponders]
17-07-2005, 05:14 PM
Necessity is the Mother of Invention h0ughy :thumbsup:

asimov
18-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Yep. Just paint the begger black now Paul & FORGET forking out for new weights.

[1ponders]
18-07-2005, 03:00 PM
I would John except I'm not having to pay for them. :D Always and advantage to have extra weights. You never know I might look at a G-11 eventully.......eventually that it:D

Robby
19-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Excellent Paul... I'd expect no less from that GM-8.. Gary will be impressed. He's a big fan of "ugly" mods, and I'm the expert at making them...
I once used a gumboot full of dirt as a counter-weight! Worked a treat, until Kath started looking for it... Ummm, well, ahhh.. It's in the garage love!
I was not a popular boy after that... :fight:
Cheers

gbeal
19-07-2005, 10:40 AM
Rob is right on the money, if there ever was an award for Ugly, he would be it.
We both used that mount, and it never got that bad, man what have you done.

asimov
22-07-2005, 04:06 AM
Iv'e used an 8" reflector for 2 week's straight with no focuser....Just held the EP/s in one hand up to the hole in the tube , & nudged with the other. No probs about not having enough focuser travel, that's for sure lol.

Another time (same scope) I didn't have a diagonal mirror at all, (or the focuser) so I moved the primary up the tube...tilted the primary so the focal point of light was at the very edge of the end of the OTA tube....wacked the EP there....held a mirror to the EP at a 45 deg angle, & peered into the mirror. he-he-he..

seeker372011
22-07-2005, 09:48 AM
I need about just 200gms extra counter weight for the 8 inch newt and guidescope..think I am going to pinch Paul's idea.

cahullian
22-07-2005, 11:39 AM
If I'm on the road with my scope I have an emergency poncho in my pocket. Just incase it starts to rain. I whip out the poncho and it's over the scope in 2 seconds flat. I on the other hand have to put up with getting soaked, but my baby stays nice and dry.It's not ingenious but then again I'm no genius. :einstein:

Gazz

asimov
22-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Good Idea Gazz. My scope/s covers aren't very far away when I'm viewing, Iv'e been rained apon a couple of times..

gaa_ian
22-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Luxury Asimov ......
When I was a lad, we dreamed of having just an EP & Primary mirror !
We used to look through bottom of Ole Coke bottle ... while laying on cold gravel, down by lake !!!!!
:rofl:

asimov
23-07-2005, 12:34 AM
I used to do the same...but it wasn't no coke bottle! he-he-he!

RAJAH235
23-07-2005, 01:11 AM
Didn't need a moon filter, eh, Az? :D L.

Orion
23-07-2005, 08:23 AM
A conversation having anything to do with telescopes and mentioning the word hammer worries me! :thumbsup: