PDA

View Full Version here: : First light of second hand Meade 16" lightbridge

h0ughy
04-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Well what a night! I partly christened my new scope, Al Meehan did it the night before. I am very happy with it although I have not fired up the Argo Navis yet due to a cable being left in Melbourne, but hopefully that will arrive today.

The scope was brought up to from Melbourne to Thirroul by a friend of the seller, and was in good condition when I picked it up. I might add I met the seller there as well. Nice Guy, I was so lucky that he came up on holiday, saved a lot in frieght.

I must say this scope has had a journey to get it, being hit by a P plate driver on the way down (thankfully no damage but the P plater drove off after I got out to look at the potential damage. Hit car/radiator took the brunt of the tow bar on the Subaru.) . Then an irate mother in the car park of the twin servos at Wyong – who I think was suffering a major hormone imbalance, accusing me of hitting her car with my door. The mark she was pointing to was 4 inches higher than my door extent? Never Argue with a woman even wneh they are wrong!!! All up the round trip journey took 6.5 hours – and it was worth it.

As indicated, Alan tested it Sunday night, as it is still at his place - LOL. He said the views were great. Green with envy I arranged to call over last night. I got there just at sunset, yep keen but tired. It took about 10minutes to set up and collimate.

As it was early in the evening I focused on Sirius, observed the coma of the scope in all its glory. But man what a view…

I then turned to the obvious – M42:P and viewed this evolving through the twilight:screwy:. Watching the green around the trap then moving onto feint blue hues and the rose wisps throughout the neb were delightful and energising:thumbsup:. The seeing was not the best but it was so easy to see all the stars in the trap resolved and sharp (A-G). Then turned to the tarantula neb – wow. So I wondered what would a planet look like – quickly spun around to Saturn that was rising out of the murk of Newcastle lights. I was so blown away at the clarity and sharpness of the planet and the moons (I counted 6 possibly 7 without actually looking up a table). It has been sooooo long since I had actually looked through a scope at the stars, I would say probably since 2005?

So far I am impressed with the scope – yes it has limitations, yes the design is not the best, and yes the base is too large, but overall I am happy with the Lightbridge. It is easy to setup, and I am sure will give the wow factor for a long time to come.

Might even consider taking the optics out some time and building into a assembly to image with?

probably muck about with the argo navis this weekend:whistle:

Phil
04-03-2008, 07:05 PM
great write up houghy sound like you had a great first night with the scope.
Hope there is more clear nights for you.
Phil

sheeny
04-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Good stuff, Dave! Thanks for posting!

Al.

GTB_an_Owl
04-03-2008, 08:24 PM
so the missus doesn't know about this one either Dave eh!

not game to take it home :lol: :lol: :lol:

you better bring it down to the pony club on saturday nite :whistle:

geoff

h0ughy
04-03-2008, 08:30 PM
:whistle::whistle::whistle: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

jjjnettie
04-03-2008, 10:38 PM
:D I'm so happy that you're so happy with your new scope.
Great report!

astroron
05-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Great to have you join the 16"scope brigade Dave:D, very interesting report:thumbsup:Visual observing is still a blast.
Will you be bringing it to Duckadang?
Ron

h0ughy
05-03-2008, 12:19 AM
at this stage no not enough room:whistle:

astronut
05-03-2008, 08:03 AM
Welcome to the Light (bridge) side David.
You'll wonder why it took you so long!!:lol:

h0ughy
05-03-2008, 09:35 AM
you know I didnt pay much attention to the secondary when i bought it, so I went and ordered a set of collimating knobs from bobs knobs. Then I discovered it already had them. Missed cancelling the order by 4 hours - they already posted it. :doh:

DaveM
05-03-2008, 10:10 AM
I'm not sure what collimation tools you have, but I can recommend the Glatter holographic laser and BLUG. They are pricey, but they make collimation really quick and easy. An autocollimator is also a good tool to make the very last tweaks. I found it really important to get the best collimation possible in the 16LB for planetary views or if you choose to use a Paracorr to get rid of the coma.

h0ughy
05-03-2008, 11:25 AM
it came wit ha laser collimator. Seems to do a good enough job but I do have a CATSEYE so all I really neeed to do is replace the original spot with the catseyeone. For a coma corrector I was thinking of the Baader MPCC?

astronut
05-03-2008, 11:48 AM
David,
You should be able to sell the knobs to anyone that owns an LB (any size):thumbsup:

RB
05-03-2008, 12:21 PM
LOL Houghy, I bet the P-Plater sped off, went and got his mum to tail you then accuse you of scratching her car just to get out of paying for the damages he caused.

Well it's possible........ :lol:

Can't wait to check out the new LB mate, hope you can make it this w/e.

DaveM
05-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Hi Houghy,
I haven't used the Baader MPCC. I have the Paracorr, but I have to say that the coma doesn't bug me all that much and I tend not to use it unless there is a starfield or globular cluster I am particularly keen on 'browsing' to the edge.

allan gould
05-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Glad that your new scope gave you sooooo much pleasure. You will have to setup in both the imaging and visual sections of Astrofest this year and put another trailer on your trailer.

davidpretorius
05-03-2008, 04:43 PM
what?????????????????

did you do any planetary imaging??? :rofl:

sounds great houghy:thumbsup:

sejanus
11-03-2008, 05:00 PM
yeah the 16" is good stuff, I love mine though my original lofty plans of taking it with me in the car seem a bit optimistic, not so much the weight but the size of the base/mirror part are a real challenge to put in my car!

Rodstar
11-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Sounds great, HOughy. Your 17mm Nagler will be purrfect in that scope.

It is good to see someone escaping the black hole that is imaging....at least for a brief encounter with live photons....

h0ughy
11-03-2008, 11:26 PM
fits in the subaru OK:whistle:

h0ughy
11-03-2008, 11:27 PM
yet to try that I am still working out the balance with heavy EP's, finderscope and telrad