PDA

View Full Version here: : 12v power for Canon 350D

rogerg
02-03-2008, 09:51 AM
G'day all,

I have a 12v to Canon 350D battery converter that I bought from Centralds DS. Last night I discovered (or "rediscovered" :screwy:) that it's not working.

It's not outputting more than a few millivolts.

I told my partner this morning and she said "yeah, you broke that when we were out at Kokberin late last year.." oh... ok, I don't remember, but that'd make sense! :doh:

So anyway, I can't remember what I did to it :rolleyes: but it's not currently working. O-oh, astro camp on the 7th, 8th and 9th!! :eyepop:

I'm going to need to crack this thing open and see if I can fix it. Any tips? Anyone remember here the info is on how to make one yourself (perhaps I can use that info to work out how to fix whatever I destroyed on this one)...

:help:

Thanks,
Roger.

rogerg
03-03-2008, 05:14 PM
G'day all..

I ended up pulling apart the adapter and found a wire had snapped apart.

A warning for anyone who has the Canon 350D 12v power adaptor from http://centralds.net/en/ : The unit does not have strain relief on the camera end of the converter box (the end going to the camera). It has some on the other end. I must have pulled mine a bit hard sometime and it snapped a solder join inside the converter box on the cable.

All fixed now, re-soldered.

Roger.

gbeal
03-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Whew, well done.

erick
03-03-2008, 09:21 PM
And hopefully you tied a knot in the cable inside the cover so the knot pulls up to the exit hole before any strain is put on the solder joints?

rogerg
03-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Yeap. Very tight fit inside their compact housing though. Not much room left in there.