PDA

View Full Version here: : Comments on Williams optics bino viewers

Inmykombi
26-02-2008, 06:05 PM
I am thinking of getting a bino-viewer for my SCT.

Does anyone have any experience with the Williams Optics ones from Andrews Communications ?
Andrews retails for approx $340.00 with two eyepieces....

I just want to know if the quality is OK and how they may compare to others that are more expensive .

Thanks.

Geoffro.

Miaplacidus
26-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Just do it. You've got the aperture to get enough out of it, and once you've experienced the comfort of two-eyed viewing it will be hard to go back. These WO binos are a nice entry level viewer. (The biggest danger is you'll get hooked and want to buy the Denks at some point.) Of course, ideally you should try someone else's.

OneOfOne
26-02-2008, 07:32 PM
I bought the WO binos with the C11 when I bought it a few months ago. Haven't used them much, only really suited for the Moon, but they certainly give a very impressive result. It does give a 3d effect, but a lower magnification would be better as I can only see a relatively small amount of the Moon. The first one I got came apart when I was adjusting the interocular spacing, but Andrews changed them no worries. They are not terribly heavy so it doesn't change the balance sufficiently for me to worry about it.

I haven't looked through any other binos before but WO are not exactly a no-name brand, the quality seems reasonble to me. I don't regret buying mine...hope to use them more....

madtuna
26-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Fronteer Optics on special at the moment... good bloke to deal with too I've found

http://www.frontieroptics.com.au/Specials/Binoviewer%20package.jpgThe William Optics binoviewer packages are an ideal low cost system which features, Quality construction, multi-coated prisms, a pair of 20mm wide angle eyepieces and corrector. Secure your package today at this low price. While stocks last.

Only $299.00 P&H $15

citivolus
26-02-2008, 10:07 PM
I had the opportunity to use a bino-viewer one night a few years ago, and must say that in a 10" SCT the view was amazing, especially on globular clusters. I say go for it :)

coldspace
26-02-2008, 10:27 PM
So do they really make the viewing experience more comfortable? I was planning to get some as well to use with my 12 inch. Some people say you need to get the ones that have independent eye focusers, any thoughts on this? at $299 they sound like a good investment, look foward like Geoff on the bino viewers.

Regards,

Matt.

Inmykombi
27-02-2008, 03:24 AM
Hi again,
Globular clusters do look truely amazing through bino viewers. Thats what has sold me on one.

I am still not sure what brand to get although Williams optics sound like a good starting point.

Thanks everyone for your comments too.:D

Geoffro.

Inmykombi
27-02-2008, 03:26 AM
Hi Matt,

Well I didnt really think about the focusser side of these. And you make a good point about independent focussing.

I must look into it to see iof the Williams optics have independent focussers on them.

cheers.

Geoffro.

Inmykombi
27-02-2008, 03:29 AM
Thank you for your comments.

Where can I find these DENKS ones to check the specs. out ?

Geoffro.

OneOfOne
27-02-2008, 07:39 AM
The WO binos do have independent focusing...I wasn't aware you could get any that are not...sort of like buying binoculars without independent focus. I haven't actually tried them on a globular yet...hmm....something for next time I am out.

They say the eyepieces are "wide angle" but I think they are just wider than a plossl. Compared to a Pentax 70 degree, they are like a couple of keyholes. I think they are something like 60 degrees?

coldspace
27-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Some of the older Celestron ones did not have independent focusing eyepieces. I just check and the william optics do. At $299 I might have to invest in a set. Geoff, over on the cloudy nights forum I found that they have a site listed entirly for bino-viewers. Sounds like everyone is having alot of fun with them.

Matt.

mrsnipey
27-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Have you looked at the bino viewers on http://www.siebertoptics.com.
They've received some good reviews.

citivolus
27-02-2008, 05:10 PM
A warning about the cloudy nights bino viewer forum, they all seem to be Denk fans, so don't go there unless you want to invest a couple thousand :)

wavelandscott
27-02-2008, 05:54 PM
There may be a reason for the many Denk fans...:shrug:

The "Big Easy" package is a less expensive way to join the Denk "collective" too...

I have a Denk Big Easy package and enjoy it on refractor and reflector alike.

I've never used any of the others so I can not offer any comparison data.

Miaplacidus
27-02-2008, 06:17 PM
"Denks" are Denkmeier binoviewers. Frontier Optics deal with them also.

g__day
27-02-2008, 07:15 PM
I tried an Andrews binoviewer a while ago on Saturn with 2 Vixen 22mm LWV (wide angle) lens - view was surperb!

Once I put a micro focuser on my OTA I'll have to try it again!

OneOfOne
28-02-2008, 08:03 AM
One thing the Denks make a point of is being able to work with a Newt, which normally don't have enough "in focus". I believe however that you can get the required optics to make other binos come to focus. Not really relevent if you have an SCT or refractor though...

skies2clear
28-02-2008, 03:57 PM
I've had my WO units for some time and would say they are good value. Never had any hassles with mine at all, and have had some fun, but I will say this....Except for looking at the moon, I am able to get better resolution with mono-vision on planets and most other objects. The view is dimmer too. They are very comfortable to use though....if only they did all things for me personally. Now here's the thing....I am curious how much better premium units like Denkmeier and Baader MkV's would be. Problem is, it's really hard to find any meaningful comparisons after a lot of research.

The answer I think will only come from seeing the comparison yourself,

Cheers

Prickly
28-02-2008, 09:47 PM
$300 seems a good price. Do you have this binoviewer MadTuna - and if so have you tried them on the 140NA? Be very interested to hear your feedback as I have a similar scope and wondered about their performance too.

Regards,
David

madtuna
28-02-2008, 10:01 PM
No Dave I don't (yet) I was just pointing out the special at Frontier Optics.
I do have a pair on my wish list though..a few more things to get before hand though

citivolus
29-02-2008, 02:25 AM
Unfortunately for me the pair I tried were Denks, so I am forever spoiled for anything else :) Honestly though, I do plan on trying out some of the WO's some time, worst case I could sell them here or on Astromart with a minimal loss if I wasn't happy, the real expense is doubling up on compatible eyepieces.

Inmykombi
29-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied to this question.

It looks like I will have to make a comparison myself, however finding the two different ones to observe together with the same "seeing" conditions will be difficult.

It would be nice if I had the money for the Denkemeir ones. They sound like they are the choice of the bino-viewing world.

However I also think that with a small budget, much enjoyment can be found in the more economical types. At least I hope so....

And yes, then two lots of Eyepieces come into the picture...........

Hmmmmmmmmm, where does one stop.........:P

Once again, thanks for the comments....