PDA

View Full Version here: : HEQ5 SynScan + Shoestring GPUSP Problem

Craig_L
24-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the support on the earlier post re: time zones. Upgraded to SynScan 3.21 and solved that. But have a new problem with the Shoestring Astronomy Guide Port interface and using GPUSPCheck to check the movements of the scope through the guide port.

In using the software GPUSPCheck v1.2.0, when checking the movement of the scope when the buttons RA+, RA-, DEC+ and DEC- are pressed, all movements work except RA+ which sends the mount in the same direction as the RA- button.
Checked all the voltages out of the GPUSB which seem fine according to the Shoestring forum suggestions. I also checked the connecting cord from the GPUSB to the HEQ5 Pro mount with a meter - no problems.

I assume then that this is an HEQ5 mount problem or possibly the software version 3.21. Perhaps I should try the earlier version 3.20.

Has any one experienced a similar problem? My hair is already white. I suppose all I can do is lose it with more stress.

Any thoughts welcome.

Craig :help:

Craig_L
24-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Maybe I have to go through aligning the scope before trying the GPSUB.

peter_4059
24-02-2008, 08:02 PM
How does the GPUSB connect to your HEQ5? Did you have a guide port on the mount?

Kokatha man
24-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Hi Craig - sorry brother, you've shot ahead of me re deploying autoguide features so can't comment - I haven't even downloaded/installed any updates as yet: been too busy mucking around with the polar scope reticle set-up in an attempt to use it - just to get on top of its' usage. I'm much happier using a laser pointer and illuminated reticle ep to lock on the SCP and am making some progress in re-learning drift alignment techniques.

Does seem strange that both RA+ and RA- give the same command/signal to the mount though - your supposition re the software having a "bug" could hold water: guess to determine that you'd have to uninstall and reload the original to see if it functioned ok with that. I wonder whether this is a problem or a false report from the check?

My pc boffin son suggest you speak to the people who've created the GPUSBCheckv1.2.0 as this program may not be compatible with the latest SynScan upgrade - he's just done a comprehensive search for me and couldn't find any recorded issues/probs. Reckons that as this is the latest SynScan version the check program may be throwing up false errors (being possibly incompatible with the latest version of SS.)

Please keep us informed as it's something I'd like to know about: to me it doesn't seem to correlate with alignment though, that shouldn't have any relationship to this problem.

Does V3.2 accomadate SA timezone? Alan Gould who did an intial appraisal of the HEQ5 SynScan mount commented that after a certain upgrade (can't remember which version) other "brand" h/ware such as GPS units weren't recognised by SynScan.

Hope you sort it out and let us all know, regards, Darryl.

peter_4059
24-02-2008, 08:40 PM
I'm using GPUSB check v1.2.0 with my EQ6 with no problems so doubt it is bug in this software. Is the cable you are using to connect from the GPUSB to mount supplied by Shoestring?

glasseyes
24-02-2008, 09:02 PM
"In using the software GPUSPCheck v1.2.0, when checking the movement of the scope when the buttons RA+, RA-, DEC+ and DEC- are pressed, all movements work except RA+ which sends the mount in the same direction as the RA- button."

Craig,
Have you turned off Sidereal Rate tracking before trying the GPUSB check?
Try turning this off first and maybe try running the GPUSB check at various autoguide speed settings.
Also your RJ12 cable should be wired pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2, etc. Some cables are made with pin 6 wired to pin 1, pin 5 to pin 2, etc (ie reversed).
John

Craig_L
25-02-2008, 12:17 AM
Thanks Peter. Yes, the HEQ5 has an autoguide port which according to both SkyWatcher and Shoestring Astronomy is compatible. The cable is that suplied by Shoestring

Darryl, yes could be a false report. If it wasn't for the cloud I would take it out and just test it with PHD Guide. I tried the earlier version of SynScan (3.2.0) and no difference. Have joined the Shoestring forum but waiting for the confirmation before I can ask questions on the forum.

Both 3.2.1 and 3.2.0 versions of SynScan recognise the SA time zone - ie you can now put in hours and minutes unlike version 3.12

John. Haven't tried turning Sidereal off. What should I turn it to? No tracking?

Maybe I just have to get out there and try it with PHD - when the clouds go.

thanks,

Craig

Craig_L
25-02-2008, 01:21 AM
Geronimo!

Found a gap in the clouds and tried it for real on Sirius after a two star alignment. Perhaps the GPUSBCheck needs the mount star aligned. Sorry for my incompetence.

Craig

EzyStyles
25-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Craig, firstly what autoguider are you using? if you still having problems, there is a wiring chart for Meade DSI on my website and how to setup the EQ6 + GPUSB device with the DSI. Too many people get stuck using the GPUSB device and EQ6:

http://www.ezystyles.com.au/autoguide.html

Cheers